• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Processing times for getting Swedish citizenship

Average waiting times after applying

Stocklm00
post 14.Jan.2009, 01:18 PM
Post #1

Has anyone applied for swedish citizenship lately? I have now been waiting for over a month. I have seen in other forums that people have received theirs in 2 - 3 weeks - it is hard when that is the only form or ID these days!

Thanks
Go to the top of the page
+
Puffin
post 14.Jan.2009, 01:50 PM
Post #2

Do you mean citizenship or residence? What are your grounds for applying? How long have you lived in Sweden?

If you really are talking about citizenship then depending on what your grounds are you will have had between 2 and 8 years of residence in Sweden. The waiting time varies from a few days if you only have to report your change to the County Court if Migrationsverket must assess your claim

If you are talkning about residence to move and live in Sweden - then the waiting times will vary between a few weeks and up to a year - it depends on your:
- reasons for applying - study, work, setting up busniess or boyfriend/grilsfriend - some are almost automatic such as study visas - other require and investigation/interviews etc
- where you live now - EU waiting times are usually short whereas non EU depends on the Embassy
- some cases can be more complex than others - especially if there is a question of adequate finance to support yourself
+
Stocklm00
post 14.Jan.2009, 02:05 PM
Post #3

I have lived in Sweden for 5 years with PUT, and I am still in Sweden, so I am "eligable" to apply for citizenship through naturalisation.
+
MaxP
post 14.Jan.2009, 02:07 PM
Post #4

I applied in November and had the citizenship certificate within a week - was very impressed with that!
+
Tasma
post 14.Jan.2009, 02:14 PM
Post #5

iv been waiting nearly a year for residency...
+
Stocklm00
post 14.Jan.2009, 02:49 PM
Post #6

I have heard some people get it in a week, and others months. I dont know whether they have slowed down the process again.
+
Puffin
post 14.Jan.2009, 03:19 PM
Post #7

If you've had confirmation of your application being received you could call or e-mail the person dealing with your case.

The Christmas holidays may have slowed things down as many people were off for all/most of the period December 22nd-January 7th
+
Stocklm00
post 14.Jan.2009, 03:26 PM
Post #8

I still havent received a confirmation that they received my application. Should I be worried, I know they received it though..
+
Puffin
post 14.Jan.2009, 03:54 PM
Post #9

Best to contact them - check that they have received it
+
Stocklm00
post 14.Jan.2009, 04:24 PM
Post #10

I shall indeed! Does everyone receive a notification when they send something off to Migrationsverket? It was all sent with registered mail, so I did check that it was received. But it is standard for them to send off a notification that they have started the process?
+
Kind Man
post 14.Jan.2009, 04:54 PM
Post #11

If you come as refugee and on the first day when entering Sweden and going to immigration if you have proved your Nationality for example; IDcard,passport, then you should get it after five years if you give them documents first time. if not then you have to wait for like 8 years.

make sure during the time you dont fight with anybody, dont drive when u r drunk. dont do bad things otherwise you have to wait 2 years more which totaly cost you 10 years.

my friend is here for 11year he is teacher in school n own company but still they refuse him coz two times police got him while he was little drunk.

make sure to be good citizen you will get it soon smile.gif

good luck
+
Stocklm00
post 14.Jan.2009, 05:59 PM
Post #12

I didnt come to Sweden as a Refugee, and I have been a good abiding resident of Sweden for the past 5 years. I hope that should suffice for approval for naturalisation. We will see. If anyone else has submitted their application in the last recent weeks - would like to hear from you. In the meantime - keeping fingers crossed!
+
sky1
post 20.May.2009, 08:49 AM
Post #13

I have recently started reading post on this forum and i find it interesting.Just a queck question if anyone have idea about it.Have been told by a friend that the processing time for a swedish citizenship is about 2-3weeks, but have surmmited my appplication for over 4weeks with only acknowledgement letter 3days time for them.As it's not stated on their website the time process,does anyone have information about the waiting time? Any info will be highly regarded.

Sky1

Topics merged by admin
+
Princess P
post 20.May.2009, 08:52 AM
Post #14

No sorry, but if it's any help I would be very surprised if it really was that quick, based on my other dealings with officialdom here.
+
Puffin
post 20.May.2009, 10:20 AM
Post #15

Mind you it might be a little slower in May as there are 2 lots of public holidays which makes 2 short weeks.

An average time doesn't mean that everyone will get it that fast
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN