• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Swedish letters on an English keyboard

How to type the characters Ä ä Ö ö Ü ü

Baned
post 7.Apr.2009, 03:01 PM
Post #1

I've been slowly pecking away at my Swedish home studies trying to reinforce words I'm learning. My pathetic attempt at writing Swedish letters is by Googling words to get the proper spelling, but after awhile, it just takes too damned long. I recently found a way to type Swedish letters just by using the number pad + the alt key. Note: make sure Num Lock is on. Forgive me if this is common knowledge but I thought I'd share anyway.

smile.gif

Alt + 134 = å
Alt + 143 = Å

Alt + 132 = ä
Alt + 142 = Ä

Alt + 148 = ö
Alt + 153 = Ö

Alt + 130 = é
Alt + 138 = è
Go to the top of the page
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 7.Apr.2009, 03:27 PM
Post #2

If you are on a Mac...
Then you should not be allowed on the internet, neubsauce.

If using Windoez...
Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> Character Map

If you are using Linux...
Then you are smart enough to use ASCII Codes (the alt + num pad dealie)
+
Mzungu
post 7.Apr.2009, 04:32 PM
Post #3

Try this...

http://www.lexicool.com/lexibar_swedish_sp..._characters.asp
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 7.Apr.2009, 05:03 PM
Post #4

On my old PC with a UK keyboard I used to have both the UK and Swedish keyboard maps set. Whenever I ventured into Swedish I would switch the keyboard mapping over. I just had to remember where the Swedish characters were and where the ;.:,* etc moved to.
+
kaze
post 7.Apr.2009, 06:23 PM
Post #5

I made a thread on this a while back. The best solution that someone came up with was changing your windows language settings to add Swedish, then just pressing alt and shift makes it so ;'[ becomes öäå. Really, really, quick and easy.
+
International Man of Leis...
post 8.Apr.2009, 05:30 AM
Post #6

I use the driver on this page:

http://jonasmartinsson.50webs.com/keyboard/index.htm

on all my non-swedish keyboards in Sweden. It works really well and doesn't require switching languages when needing to type a few ö,ä or å...

IMoL
+
Hawkman
post 8.Apr.2009, 06:33 AM
Post #7

It is really exciting to see these kinds of simplicities shared; and greatly appreciated. I would have no other way of knowing such things, So please keep sharing everything Sweden. I am so far away and yet so close.
Hawkman
+
Julian S
post 8.Apr.2009, 08:00 AM
Post #8

I just use a swedish keyboard with the language bar set to EN/SV depending on what I'm doing. I use the Swedish keyboard because i can usually remember where the UK keys are, not quite touch typing, but you know what i mean.
+
Marley420
post 8.Apr.2009, 08:57 AM
Post #9

Thanks Baned! I needed this one bad. I use a Norwegian keyboard, but often need to write in Swedish.
+
Eddymu
post 8.Apr.2009, 09:24 AM
Post #10

I'm the other way around (not literally) I primarily use a Swedish keyboard but a certain application requires me to have an English layout (don't ask why they have mapped stuff to the tilde '~' key). Anyway I use the language bar with both mappings setup and then assigned a shortcut so SHIFT + CTRL + 1 is for English and + 2 is for Swedish.
+
Kibiri
post 8.Apr.2009, 01:20 PM
Post #11

<alt+shift>ing works fine for me, got used to it. And I have 5 language settings to switch between right now smile.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options