• Sweden's news in English
The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Requirements for permanent residence (PUT)

Years in Sweden, with sambo, EU citizen

post 15.Apr.2009, 07:24 PM
Post #1
Joined: 3.Sep.2005

Hi guys! I’ve had enough of the Migrationsverket not answering my calls and not answering my e-mails. Maybe somebody who is a bit more helpful can help me here.

Question: If i want to get PUT from the Migrationsverket based on the following: 2 years in Sweden 1 year 8 months working, 4 year relationship sambo, EU citizen. Do i need to go into the Migrationsverket? is there a form i need to fill in based on the above details?

I've heard mixed things like you need to be in Sweden for 5 years (but isn't that to become a Swedish citizen-Swedish passport?), then i have heard stories of people getting PUT or PUR after 1 year because they have lived together outside of Sweden as well

I need this to get CSN because i want to study Swedish full time and then move on to study at university.

Thanks Guys, you usually help me out! rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page
post 15.Apr.2009, 07:40 PM
Post #2
Location: United Kingdom
Joined: 20.Jan.2009

I'm not an expert, but

1. When you live in Sweden for 2 years, and are an EU citizen, you can get CSN. I'm not sure how they tell you are have been living here, I guess through Skatteverket). That should eliminate the whole problem of getting a PUT. I didn't think you really needed residency in Sweden if you were an EU citizen because of the whole free borders thing, but I don't know since I'm not an EU citizen.

2. You can get a PUT after 2 years residence in Sweden on certain visas but again, not sure how that applies to EU citizens. If you are not an EU citizen, you have to fill in a form to apply for a PUT. Its on the Migrationsverket website. The website is pretty simple, but you have to click around a bit to find things.

My best advice would be to go to your nearest Migrationsverket office, if you live in one of the bigger cities, they will tell you everything there. It is a thousand times quicker and easier than writing them an email or trying to call them up.

Otherwise, go into a Skatteverket office and ask them how to get CSN. Or a CSN office if they have one?

I've learnt to never deal with Swedish companies/authorities by phone/email. I've found that talking to people in person, always gets a better response. People on the phone/email always just fob you off with a nothing answer and usually tell you to go visit an office anyway..

Hope that helps.
Go to the top of the page
post 15.Apr.2009, 08:11 PM
Post #3
Joined: 3.Sep.2005

Thanks for the reply! are there any EU nationals with similar experiences
Go to the top of the page
post 16.Apr.2009, 08:57 AM
Post #4
Joined: 3.Sep.2005

anyone else? please!
Go to the top of the page
post 17.Apr.2009, 05:45 PM
Post #5
Location: Dalarna
Joined: 5.Apr.2006

Why do you want a PUT? Usually EU nationals get a 5 year EU permits that are less strict than UT/PUT. You apply for an EU residence card and after 5 years apply for a permanent right of residence.

PUT can be very annoying as they have to be renewed every 3 years
Go to the top of the page
post 18.Apr.2009, 12:09 AM
Post #6
Location: Gothenburg
Joined: 20.Jul.2005

Hmm! I don't think they have to renewed every three years. I have a PUT and I was told, I've only got to renew it when my passport expires again!
Go to the top of the page
post 19.Apr.2009, 03:20 PM
Post #7
Location: Dalarna
Joined: 5.Apr.2006

They may have changed this bit then - as mine had an expiry date every three years (havn't renewed for over 3 years) and they have closed all the Migrationsverket PUT offices in Dalarna so I need to travel over 100km to the nearest office.
Go to the top of the page
post 19.Apr.2009, 06:28 PM
Post #8
Joined: 7.May.2006

I was recently in a debate with some friends regarding the citizenship prerequisits for EU nationals.
Can one (EU citizen) get a Swedish citizenship without going via a PUT ?
To be more specific: can you get the citizenship just based on a UR, after 5 years of living in Sweden ?
Migrationsverket's web page is ambiguous with regard to this issue.
My understanding was that only permanent resident (PUT or PUR) permit holders can apply, after 5 years from the moment they applied for PUT/PUR. However, one counter argument to that (and an argument in favor of getting the citizenship based on UR) is that a PUR is received after 5 years of UR. So, then an EU national would wait 10 years for the citizenship (5 UR + 5 PUR). On the other hand, a non EU citizen, that works here with a permanent contract gets a PUT and thus is eligible to apply for citizenship after only 5 years.
I guess this (an EU national who wants to get a Swedish citizenship) is not a very common case and probably that's why there is no specific use case/examplanation on Migrationsverket's web page.
PUR=permanent uppehållsrätt
PUT=permanent uppehållstillstånd
Go to the top of the page
post 20.Apr.2009, 08:46 AM
Post #9
Location: Dalarna
Joined: 5.Apr.2006

According to Migrationsverkets website

Becoming a Swedish citizen by application (naturalisation)

Naturalisation means that a person becomes a Swedish citizen by applying for Swedish nationality. If you wish to become a Swedish citizen by application, you must meet the following requirements:

* You must be able to prove your identity (proof of identity requirement).
* You must be at least 18 years of age 18 (age requirement).
* You must have a permanent residence permit. or - if you are a citizen of the European Economic Area (EEA) - a permanent right of residence. This does not apply to citizens of the Nordic countries. For citizens of the EEA countries, limited residence permits of at least five years’ duration are equated with a Swedish permanent residence right.
* You must been living in Sweden for at least five years, or for at least four years if you are stateless or a refugee. If you are a Danish, Finnish, Icelandic or Norwegian citizen, two years will suffice (duration of stay requirement).
* You must have a clean record in Sweden (good conduct requirement).

Therefore you must have a permanent right of residence which you can obtain after 5 years residence in Sweden.
Go to the top of the page
post 20.Apr.2009, 09:44 AM
Post #10
Joined: 12.Dec.2008

I recently got my PUT after 1 1/2. I am married also to a Swed. The process took less than a week, but the person at Migrationsverket said that I was an ideal person. I have been studying SFI, SAS G, etc, while working two jobs. That being said they will weight your "involvement" in society, which country you come from, etc. when applying (both early and timely). You stated that you have a sambo, is he/she a Swedish citizen? Being just an EU citizen, if I remember, doesn't really do much for you when expediting the several yr process for papers. For myself I know that being married or sambo with a swedish citizen will allow me to apply for a swedish passport at 3 yrs. And I would second the notion of going direct to Migrationsverket. Good luck.
Go to the top of the page
post 14.Jan.2011, 12:18 PM
Post #11
Joined: 26.Nov.2009

hello friends, I am from India & have been living in Sweden for 1 & a half years. I have a job now! Am I eligible for Permanent resident permit in Sweden? If yes then what should I do? Anybody, please guide me!
Go to the top of the page
post 14.Jan.2011, 01:13 PM
Post #12
Location: Stockholm
Joined: 27.Oct.2006

QUOTE (valiantvimal @ 14.Jan.2011, 12:18 PM) *
hello friends, I am from India & have been living in Sweden for 1 & a half years. I have a job now! Am I eligible for Permanent resident permit in Sweden? If yes t ... (show full quote)

no, wait for 5 years to get Permanent.
Go to the top of the page
post 14.Jan.2011, 01:28 PM
Post #13
Joined: 16.Jan.2008

QUOTE (valiantvimal @ 14.Jan.2011, 12:18 PM) *
Am I eligible for Permanent resident permit in Sweden?

After 4 years if you have a RP based on Employment.
Go to the top of the page
post 31.Dec.2011, 09:41 AM
Post #14
Joined: 31.Dec.2011

hello, i am a non EU citizen & working in Sweden for last 2.2 years.
one of my colleague has received Permanent redidency after 3 yrs of working here, though in Migrationverket site it is mentioned to have 5 yrs stay to get permanent redidency.
is it flexible fir all or can i apply now??
Go to the top of the page
post 31.Dec.2011, 10:30 AM
Post #15
Joined: 10.Dec.2010

There is no specif application for PUT. When you renew your UT you can check box asking for PUT. I think the normal waiting time based upon employment is 4 years. It is up to MV. whether or not to grant it. Best wishes and good new year.
Go to the top of the page

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:


PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at: