• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

SEB clearing numbers (bank codes)

Where to find the right one for your account

Eddymu
post 16.Apr.2009, 09:43 AM
Post #1

Does anyone know the clearingnummer for SEB? (Is there just one or many?) I've looked on my statement and on ebanking to no avail.

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+
Willy
post 16.Apr.2009, 09:47 AM
Post #2

Probably it's written as part of your account number. It's four digits. For SEB it often starts with 56.
+
post 16.Apr.2009, 09:48 AM
Post #3

oops edit. i was thinking of swedbank
+
Eddymu
post 16.Apr.2009, 09:51 AM
Post #4

Thanks, looking at my account numbers now, one starts with 5209- and the other 5215 - neither of these 4 digits come up in their respective IBAN numbers but the remainder of the numbers after the hyphen do so I guess thats it, I hope.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 16.Apr.2009, 10:14 AM
Post #5

SEB uses the range 5000-5999 so it looks like those are clearing numbers.
+
Johno
post 16.Apr.2009, 11:32 AM
Post #6

This triggered what I saw when starting out with a Swedish bank account - that each bank has a different internal system, there is no standard.

Having just Googled IBAN, strangely it seems also that each bank generates IBAN numbers differently too. But to help, each bank has on the web somewhere a page where you can check or generate your IBAN, but each warns that it only works for that bank! And then, the autogiro (direct debit) system requires you to quote a 4 figure clearing number plus an account number. Which may look different to your account number.

I just quote from one of the autogiro requests I filled in (translated)

Clearing number is the 4 digit number which is allotted to each bank account.
Sparbank sometimes has 5 figures, leave out the 5th digit.
Handelsbank always begins with 6 - if you dont find yours use 6000.
If you have a personal account with Nordea use 3300 as clearing number.

Is that crazy, or what ? Lesson, each bank does it differently, you need to ask at your own bank.

However, once you have worked out how to use your banks number internally, what to use for autogiro and have your IBAN you are ok. But getting there...

For completion, my Swedbank statements have the IBAN given at the top, and of course the account number. Helpfully, the list of autogiro permits they sent shows the reference used for these, a 4 digit clearing no plus a 10 digit account no. (in different format to the account number shown on statements). Which doesnt help the OP, even if I am ok...

But I hope that this helps someone else cos I wrote this principally to prove to myself that at last I grasped it. And if anyone needs to add/correct, feel welcome.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com