• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Fun things to do in Jönköping

Leisure time activity suggestions

Shanie
post 6.May.2009, 08:52 AM
Post #1

Hi all,

I moved to Jönköping from Dublin almost 9 months ago because my girlfriend studies here. I like the town, its nice but I have not found a lot to do here. I moved here right after I finished collage so I guess I am used of the whole collage lifestyle, but because I'm not studying here I can't get into the student pub where all my girlfriends friends tend to go (not that they go out that often), they're basically the only people I know here.

I would really appreciate it if anybody could give me suggestions for things to do here, any and all suggestions would be great. I am interested in a lot of things so just shoot with whatever pops into your head.

Thanks,

Shane
Go to the top of the page
+
Jasoncarter
post 6.May.2009, 09:10 AM
Post #2

I lived in jönköping for 6 months. I can tell you that the two best places to visit are the airport and the train stations. These will, at least, allow you to go to leave Jönköping and go somewhere where something happens. Dullest place I've ever lived in my entire life.
+
Jasoncarter
post 6.May.2009, 09:12 AM
Post #3

Mind you, there's always the matchstick museum I suppose. If you can contain your excitement while you're there.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 6.May.2009, 10:32 AM
Post #4

Aw bless, I was going to suggest escape as well. Um. Hockey season is over now but the local hockey team is worth seeing. And you have the lake.
+
Mzungu
post 6.May.2009, 10:49 AM
Post #5

...also thousands of churches,take up brass rubbing!

Seriously there are lively places,pubs,clubs,folk parks,ferry to Visingsö from Gränna,Huskvarna museum,theater etc..

*get out and about*
+
balbright
post 6.May.2009, 11:57 AM
Post #6

Go hang out in Råslatt (sp?), or as we international students affectionately called it, Råsletto the Ghetto (high rise housing development just east of town). Since you're close to "collage" age (like Matisse?) you may find some fellow international company there. Hang out with those guys and you will have no shortage of outings and potential brushes with the law. Although a recent Jkpg grad told me about part of the international housing part being burned down in the last couple of years, which given the tom-foolery that went on when I was there is no suprise. Perhaps they have split up housing for Intl students now.

Visingsö, or whatever that island is in the big lake there is fun to ride bikes around for a day.
+
Muttlestar Galactica
post 6.May.2009, 01:17 PM
Post #7

Now you see, in response to Fun things to do in Jönköping , I instantly thought to type:

Leave...

But ya beat and bettered me

QUOTE (Jasoncarter @ 6.May.2009, 09:10 AM) *
I lived in jönköping for 6 months. I can tell you that the two best places to visit are the airport and the train stations. These will, at least, allow you to go to leave ... (show full quote)

But seriously, it really is dull as I discovered living there for 6mths also. In fact the kindest thing I can say about the place truly exemplifies the tedium and that's this:

My favourite place was the library. (Had a fair selection of graphic novels and genre books).

I can't actually remember the name of the bars in town, but there was one that was half decent, which did fair Friday food.
+
paulbest
post 6.May.2009, 01:33 PM
Post #8

shanie am from manchester england,but presently in jonkoping for 3yr now,have been to other big cities in sweden and i think they r all almost the same.anyway there are few pubs/clubs to visit on friday/sat nite,beside there r lots of fun during now when is geting close to summer.Don't listen to those other guys .
+
HALE
post 6.May.2009, 01:35 PM
Post #9

There is a 5 day sit in gaming event. It is the largest one in the world...
order pizzas, drink red bull...saw a pic of it once. It is in Jonköping
+
Muttlestar Galactica
post 6.May.2009, 01:37 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (paulbest @ 6.May.2009, 01:33 PM) *
Don't listen to those other guys .

Why?
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 6.May.2009, 01:39 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (paulbest @ 6.May.2009, 02:33 PM) *
have been to other big cities in sweden and i think they r all almost the same

?
+
Jasoncarter
post 6.May.2009, 01:49 PM
Post #12

It's true - two dodgy bars, a shopping centre and a match museum generally tend to eclipse the bright lights of Göteborg and Stockholm.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 6.May.2009, 01:57 PM
Post #13

I see your match museum, and I raise you The Rope Museum in Älvängen (admittedly some 30km from Goatbore but nonetheless near enough to count).
+
Muttlestar Galactica
post 6.May.2009, 01:58 PM
Post #14

You forget the radio museum. Everyone forgets the radio museum.

http://www.radiomuseet.com/index.htm
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 6.May.2009, 02:07 PM
Post #15

I see that this is the "first and largest" radio museum in Sweden, leading to the inevitable conclusion that somewhere there is a smaller, crapper version.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply