• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Buying a second-hand car in Sweden

Best websites, getting the car checked, etc.

oddsock
post 21.Jun.2009, 12:04 PM
Post #1

Hi,

I have a number of questions that I was wondering if somebody here could help me with. I tried to do a search on the forum, but couldn't find anything. If it has been covered already, then I apologise.

I was wondering if anybody knows a good website for looking for second hand cars. I've checked Blocket, but there doesn't seem to be much choice on there. Is there a car specific site out there?

Also, is there an umbrella organisation that dealers/mechanics can be a member of, to guarantee quality? I.e. such as the AA in the UK or BOVAG in the Netherlands.

Do mechanics offer a check up service if you are buying a second hand car from a third party buyer? Would this be normal?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 21.Jun.2009, 12:13 PM
Post #2

I find blocket pretty good, maybe your expectations are too high, but you can try http://www.bytbil.com/

For testing the a vehicle see Motormännen http://www.motormannen.se/mm1/site/04_MTest/
+
oddsock
post 21.Jun.2009, 01:11 PM
Post #3

Thanks for the links!

Yeah, I used to live in Holland, where 16 milllion people live in an area not much bigger than Dalarna, so I guess I was spoiled for choice as far as the second hand car market is concerned.

Denmark is just across the water, but you would have to import a car from there and pay import taxes... frustrating.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 21.Jun.2009, 01:43 PM
Post #4

You don't pay import taxes on goods bought within the EU, not even on cars. Many Swedes buy used cars in Germany.
+
oddsock
post 21.Jun.2009, 02:17 PM
Post #5

Ok that's good news, because there are a lot of cheap cars in Germany at the moment.

I thought you'd have to pay tax, because when you import a foreign reg car into Holland, you had to pay motor purchase tax on it (even thought the equivalent had already been paid in Germany when it was bought...). So this is not the case for Sweden, good news.
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 21.Jun.2009, 02:45 PM
Post #6

Where they try to get you in some EU countries is some sort of registration tax. Ireland has a shocker and I guess that is what also causes cars in Denmark to cost a fortune as well, but Sweden is ok for bringing in a car.

Germany is not the happy hunting ground it used to be for people buying with SEK, but I guess it is still good depending on what you buy.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 21.Jun.2009, 02:57 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (oddsock @ 21.Jun.2009, 03:17 PM) *
Ok that's good news, because there are a lot of cheap cars in Germany at the moment.I thought you'd have to pay tax, because when you import a foreign reg car into Hol ... (show full quote)

Motor purchase tax is not an import tax; it is a tax that you have to pay on all cars no matter where they are bought. The Swedish equivalency of motor purchase tax is nybilsskatt (new car tax). EU rules state that for new cars you have to pay motor purchase tax and VAT in your country of residence and not in the country of purchase, so if that tax was already paid in Germany it is the buyer who has made a mistake.
+
Essingen
post 21.Jun.2009, 05:11 PM
Post #8

If I were going to buy a car I would seriously consider doing it from here as they thoroughly check them all.

http://www.kvd.se/
+
skane refugee
post 21.Jun.2009, 08:51 PM
Post #9

Europeans are buying second hand cars in the UK at the moment due to the low value of the pound ... expect to pay 20% less than glasses/parkers guide for Left Hand Drive cars bought in the UK (relative to RHD prices)

... insurance for the drive over to Sweden is a fairly standard product

... budget for some minor changes to the vehicle to get Swedish registration

Good luck!
+
bravedave
post 24.Jun.2009, 02:28 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 21.Jun.2009, 01:43 PM) *
You don't pay import taxes on goods bought within the EU, not even on cars. Many Swedes buy used cars in Germany.

What about alcohol?
+
bradcapo2
post 27.Jul.2009, 07:17 AM
Post #11

Cheers and we look forward to your Forum Favourites selections!

taux pret auto - taux pret auto differe selon la rise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un prêt automobile donne.

+
Karato
post 31.Jul.2009, 02:35 AM
Post #12

i also give spread this knowledge in my group and also in my students thanks again
sonnerie portable mp3 - Sonnerie portable MP3 est en effet unpouvoir de l'innovation technologique. Êtes-vous familier avec cette sonnerie portable?

+
tsroonney
post 11.Aug.2009, 04:17 AM
Post #13

Thank you, this is good news for other visitors

comparatif simulation taux pret auto - taux pret auto differe selon la prise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un prêt automobile donne.comparatif simulation taux pret auto
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com