• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Buying a mobile phone

Basic advice for newcomers to Sweden

idouglas.75
post 23.Jun.2009, 09:44 AM
Post #1

Hey guys,
Im an american who just got to Sweden a few days ago. One of the 1st problems that I need to solve is buying a mobile phone over here. I went to two different stores (expert and onoff) and I must admit, that I didnt really understand how it all works. Most phones seem cheaper if you get a two year contract of course. What happens if you leave sweden and have to break the contract? Are there any cheap pay as you go phones/carriers? if you have any advice, let me know!
Thanks.-Ian
Go to the top of the page
+
Sofia_stockholm
post 23.Jun.2009, 09:48 AM
Post #2

I'd suggest nipping into a Phonehouse and asking them to show you a Pay-as-you-go phone in the price range of your choice. If you've only been to Sweden for a few days you would probably not be able to get a contract since they will do a credit check and you will have no proof of income.
+
Johno
post 23.Jun.2009, 09:51 AM
Post #3

ICA have just been advertising a very cheap pay as you go, if its just phone + SMS you need. No personnummer required as far as I could see. May be only in ICA Maxis. http://www.ev.se/news.php?id=4425 299 kr is cheap for Sweden.
+
kerostarfx
post 24.Jun.2009, 06:32 AM
Post #4

it depends how long you're going to be in Sweden for smile.gif

Personally I have the Telia Max25 plan, it's a really good deal if your friends and family use that here in Sweden and if your friends/family back home use AT&T/T-Mobile back in the US cause you can call/sms them. However, I only call the US with my cell in case I REALLY need to smile.gif

The phone I got was like 1000kr, and then bills come every 3 months which is awesome. You only pay for what you use up on your phone, and calling/sms other Telia customers is free!
+
macintosh
post 25.Jun.2009, 09:13 PM
Post #5

I've heard of Telia Max25 Package, as i could understand, it gives 25 free calls in a month to Telia? Is it so ? (is there limit of call duration) ?
If you could tell lil bit about this package, it will be great.
thanks.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options