• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

European Union health card

How to apply, and its usefulness when travelling

Zshaikh
post 21.Jul.2009, 03:09 PM
Post #1

Hi

Can anyone tell me how to apply for European Union health card in Sweden for someone who has permanent residence in Sweden ? Also if anyone know how it can be used when one is traveling on visit to other European state and need some medical help (emergency cases) ?

brs
Shaikh
Go to the top of the page
+
Puffin
post 21.Jul.2009, 03:12 PM
Post #2

You fill in the online application on Försäkringskassans website - click on beställ EU kort inför en utlandsresa -
http://www.fk.se/nav/313dc56592688de593ee3d6b5b4fcffc

it's valid for emmergency care in
Norway
Denmark
Finland
Iceland
Estonia
Latvia
Litthuania
UK
Ireland
Germany
Poland
Belgium
Holland
Luxembourg
France
Switzerland
Austria
Liechtenstein
Italy
Greece
Spain
Portugal
Hungary
Czech republic
Slovenia
Slovakia
Cyprus
Malta
Bulgaria
Romania
+
Mzungu
post 21.Jul.2009, 03:13 PM
Post #3

Go here..Click on 'sjuk then utomlands'.

http://www.forsakringskassan.se/nav/c7b484...90c2773812327fc
+
Stüpid
post 21.Jul.2009, 03:15 PM
Post #4

Visit Försäkringskassan. If you have a residence Permit then tell them you need European Union Health Insurance Card. They will post you to your house in a couple of days. It's blue colour. Show this card outside sweden if you visit any clinic or hospital.
+
Johno
post 21.Jul.2009, 03:26 PM
Post #5

To have the info in English, the UK site http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabr...Acountries.aspx gives details country by country of the healthcare available to visitors and what the EHIC as the term it uses gets you. It varies considerably so perhaps worth noting some of the details before you travel.
+
*Sandyclaws*
post 21.Jul.2009, 05:36 PM
Post #6

Attached with the card, is also a letter re the use of the card, and the possible medical charges and in which countries the card applies.
+
oddsock
post 21.Jul.2009, 08:17 PM
Post #7

I am an EU citizen registered with skatteverkert, migrationsverket and have a full-time contract in Sweden.

When I fill in my Orwell number it says "Tyvärr kan vi inte ta emot din beställning" with absolutely no explanation as to why (typical).

I probably don't need one of these cards (one can hope), but they'd be handy as I am often out of the country.
+
Streja
post 22.Jul.2009, 12:39 PM
Post #8

Maybe you need to fill in your personnummer in a special way?
+
Furu
post 22.Jul.2009, 08:44 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (oddsock @ 21.Jul.2009, 09:17 PM) *
I am an EU citizen registered with skatteverkert, migrationsverket and have a full-time contract in Sweden.When I fill in my Orwell number it says "Tyvärr kan vi inte ta ... (show full quote)

EU Citizens do not get these unless they are registered with FSK because they are expected to bring their own EHIC from their home country.
+
Furu
post 22.Jul.2009, 08:45 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Zshaikh @ 21.Jul.2009, 04:09 PM) *
Hi Can anyone tell me how to apply for European Union health card in Sweden for someone who has permanent residence in Sweden ? Also if anyone know how it can be used when one ... (show full quote)

you will only be able to apply if you are registered with FSK.
+
teslar
post 23.Jul.2009, 07:24 PM
Post #11

Additionally, be aware that registering with FSK takes a loooong time. I had the same problem and tried to register back in March. 2 months later, having not heard anything, I contacted them to see what the hold up was.

Answer? "It takes three months before we even look at your application". I did finally hear back 4 months or so after I sent in the application and it turned out that they wanted more details. So, actually, I'm still waiting to be registered.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN