• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

How much does a dish washer earn?

Do I get less than the going rate?

legalalien
post 8.Sep.2009, 01:12 PM
Post #1

Hi all!

I have been reading this forum for a while now and it has been very helpfull in a lot of aspects. Now I have an issue I would like to share with you.

I got a job washing dishes in a restaurant here in Stockholm. I made the huge mistake of starting to work before talkng about the salary and yesterday I asked the boss about it and he said that it would be 85kr before tax. Which makes it 60kr after tax. I tried to negotiate but was told that I get free dinner, discounts when I come with my friends etc. This would have been ok with me had I not known that others who do the same job get more than me. My friend who told me about the job said he started with 106kr and he worked during the day while I work nights. He is of the same nationality as the owner of the restaurant while I am african. Though I have been here for only one and a half years I have mastered the swedish language and I am studying in swedish. I overheard the owner interviewing a swedish girl for the day job and I heard him say that she would get 85kr now and when she turns 20 next month she will get 96kr. And I am a 26 yrs old getting 85kr and works nights while she will be working days.

I have noticed a trend all over europe where in most restaurant kitchens there will be an african working his ass off for peanuts. And the sad part is that in most cases I have seen it is immigrants exploiting other immigrants. I dont want to let this go because I will survive if I lose the job as I take CSN. I am planning to investigate fully by my own to know how much others get for the same job in the same restaurant and if I get less then I think this is a clear case for the diskrimineringsombudsman.

Has anyone washed dishes before? How much did you get paid? Did you get OB for working evenings? I am also sort of an ambivalent employee while my work description is diskare. I clean, sometimes cook, i am sent shopping etc. Is this normal? Thanks for you replies..
Go to the top of the page
+
kaze
post 8.Sep.2009, 01:28 PM
Post #2

Supply and demand.
There are a few dozen other Africans, Asians and Chinese who would kill for such a crappy job.
So yeah, you are being ripped off but..its not too abnormal.
+
Puffin
post 8.Sep.2009, 01:43 PM
Post #3

Are you in a Union?

A lot depends on
- how old you are
- whether you have previous experience

According to the Hotel and Restarant Union - workplaces covered by their collective agreements have the following minimum wages according to the national agreement

If you are between 17 and 20 - then the normal rates are between 65-85 kr per hour before tax

If you are an adult
- restuarant/hotel jobs requiring no formal experience usually pay between 100-109 kr/hour
- jobs requiring high school/gymnasiet level skills 108-116
- also if you have a union agreement then you would get ÖB of around 18.75/hour after 8pm

However if your place if a non-Unionised restaurant then it will probably use individual wage negotiations so it depends on negotiations - there is no minimum wage in Sweden

The question is how much do you want to rock the boat - there are very few unskilled jobs available
+
BillyB
post 9.Sep.2009, 06:45 PM
Post #4

i have a dishwasher but ive never paid it

its never asked for money
+
canuk
post 9.Sep.2009, 07:09 PM
Post #5

you should quit, im sure there is someone more greatful then yourself willing to do the work. even being able to get a job is a blessing. what would you be earning in your home country?
+
Caribbean guy/Swedish Gal
post 9.Sep.2009, 08:24 PM
Post #6

Why does it matter where he from? Does it matter if hes Swede Nigerian eller Jamaican?? Why is it always assumed that immigrants should be happy with what is thrown at them ( you eat for free)

@canuk

Guessin youre canadian,would you work for 5CAD an hour, guessing minium wage went up around 9 now
+
kaze
post 9.Sep.2009, 08:52 PM
Post #7

Checking up...60 an hour isn't so bad actually. Its over £5.
In the UK minimum wage is something like £5.70 (presumably taxed too).
Its not too much less.
Then consider the amount of foreigners in Uppsala for instance who work in the nations for 100 sek for 8 hours work...Its not bad.
+
canuk
post 9.Sep.2009, 10:10 PM
Post #8

You should damn well be happy with what you get and even that you have a job here. If you dont like it, noone is holding a gun to your head to work here. Whatever minimum wage is in canada, if i choose to work for that, then i make that choice, what does THAT matter?

I repeat, if he doesnt like it, get out of there and make way for someone else.

Your quite intelligent assuming im canadian, what gave it away, the canadian flag or the words proud to be canadian in my profile.
+
legalalien
post 10.Sep.2009, 12:52 AM
Post #9

Thank Puffin for your reply. So I have to find out if the restaurant i am working at has a kollektiv avtal or not.

As for Canuk and Kaze if you read my post well you would have seen at my issue is not with the salary in itself. It has more to do with being exploited or not. Whether thousands of other desperate students are ready to be exploited is neither here nor there in this discussion. I am not ready to be exploited and I can afford the luxury of fighting back. Do you mean that even if I got 20kr an hour I should be greatful (sic) for being able to work and just work my ass off and shut up? Sorry not for me. Nobody is putting a gun against my head I can quit anytime if I am not happy. That's true, but if this is exploitation the owner will just hire exploit another international student and life goes on. I want him to learn a lesson and equal pay for equal work regardless of where the employee comes from.

Another completely irrelevant question Canuk raised is how much I would have earned in my own country. If I earned 10kr an hour in my country I would live like a king. But I am in sweden and my rent is paid in kronor and so are my groceries and other expenses. So earning what I would earn in my country would get me nowhere in Sweden. You must be one of those disgusting kind of people who wouldnt hesitate to exploit people in desperate situations. I bet you would have taken a slave to work for you for free if you had the power.

All I wanted was to know whether the salary I was getting was normal or not in sweden, and to get your advice on contacting the diskrimineringsombudsman if I found out that others are getting more for the same job am doing in the same restaurant. Otherwise how can someone explain the difference if not by racial discrimination? My friend who is the same nationality as the owner and got 106kr pe hour came to sweden at about the same time as me. So its not an issue about being swedish or not. He doesnt speak swedish i do. He doesnt have permanent residence I do. He is about the same age as me. So I am curious to know the reasons he will give when I alert the authorities after my investigations and if it turns out that I am being paid less.

The fact that the salary is the same as in the UK is irrelevant. Before coming to sweden Iived in a european country where the minimum legal wage was euros 10.40 an hour. I wanted to find out if there is a minimu legal wage here and Puffin has informed me that there isnt. So I will contact facket to find out if they have avtal with my restaurant. I will also find out about OB.

I would like to believe that Europe which keeps lecturing others on equality and all other virtues believes in equal pay for equal work so I am sure the authorities will be on my side on this one.
+
legalalien
post 10.Sep.2009, 12:54 AM
Post #10

Oj! Just saw now that I wrote a book. Sorry..
+
Puffin
post 10.Sep.2009, 05:59 AM
Post #11

I don't really see why some posters feel that non-Swedes should automatically accept being paid below the going rate and lower levels than Swedes doing the same job for the same company.
+
Essingen
post 10.Sep.2009, 06:27 AM
Post #12

I don't really see why some posters feel that non-Swedes should automatically accept being paid below the going rate and lower levels than Swedes doing the same job for the same company.

Exactly so. I'm glad that Puffin gave some serious answers to the OP who had gone to some trouble to explain the issue in a very well written post.
+
Localer
post 10.Sep.2009, 12:49 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (legalalien @ 10.Sep.2009, 01:52 AM) *
Thank Puffin for your reply. So I have to find out if the restaurant i am working at has a kollektiv avtal or not.As for Canuk and Kaze if you read my post well you would have ... (show full quote)

well said legalalien...!
+
Roaringwater
post 10.Sep.2009, 04:28 PM
Post #14

This is so darned annoying.
Your English is fluent, you are obviously intelligent yet you are being ripped off by a discriminatory employer who is paying you less simply because he knows he can get away with it.
My best advice is this: you need the job to pay your rent so don't rock the boat. You'll probably just get fired if you do. You shouldn't do anything that jeopardises your education. Instead, use every free minute to seek out a job that pays you fairly. Your current employer will hardly give you a reference (why should he help his underpaid worker to move somewhere else). Instead, make friends with one of your Swedish co-workers and when the time comes, and you're offered a job with a new employer, you'll be able to give them a Swedish co-worker as a reference. Good luck!
+
stmanpule
post 2.Dec.2010, 05:41 PM
Post #15

@poster, the sky is your limit just keep doing a good job for him after-all you are in a Swedish school, and beside that, you've been given the best advice to make friends with your Swedish co-workers so has to get a new job else where in Sweden.
I think the whites generally are like that, they hardly pay the same salary or wages for the same work done by foreigners to their fellow white or fellow citizens
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se