• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Snow chains on cars

Are they legal?

Furu
post 20.Sep.2009, 12:46 PM
Post #1

Are snow chains legal in Sweden during winters.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page
+
Johno
post 20.Sep.2009, 12:55 PM
Post #2

Well Biltema sell them and Vägverket say (see bold/underlined bit)
Vinterdäck
Under perioden 1 december - 31 mars måste vinterdäck användas om det är vinterväglag. Det kan antingen vara dubbdäck, s.k. friktionsdäck eller likvärdig utrustning (exempelvis snökedjor). Gummiblandningen i sommardäcken gör att de blir mycket hårda vid kyla och därför rejält hala på en vinterväg, mönsterdjupet har här ingen större betydelse. Använd därför alltid vinterdäck när det är eller riskerar att bli vinterväglag.

So I guess they are - but they do nasty things to your tyres - wear grooves where they sit on the tread surface.
+
Puffin
post 20.Sep.2009, 01:44 PM
Post #3

You can drive with snow chains - and you might need them if you were planning to drive on (for example) un-ploughed farm tracks etc - but they are not really anything that you would want to use in regular driving - as Johno says they can damage your tyres

Also it is not recommended that you drive at speeds over 40km/hour with snow chains

Most of the vehicles that use them are agricultural/forestry
+
Johno
post 20.Sep.2009, 01:51 PM
Post #4

Another point - dont quite see why the largest vehicles dont have to have winter tyres, as I understand it - though I think I have seen some discussion. The rule stops at light commercial, small buses etc.
Tunga fordon omfattas inte av kraven på vinterdäck, men Transportstyrelsen rekommenderar ändå att vinterdäck används vid vinterväglag.
+
Puffin
post 20.Sep.2009, 02:36 PM
Post #5

The theory is that their extra weight helps to keep them on the road - however in my experience not as well as studded winter tyres on the glass-like sheet ice - last season we drove behind the big school bus that ended up off the road - although we had good grip and my daughters school bus ended up on it's side in the ditch - thankfully all the kids were wearing seat belts - and one kid's dad was a local farmer who came with is tractor to pull the kids free.
+
Furu
post 21.Sep.2009, 11:05 PM
Post #6

Thanks for the information.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com