• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

American living in Gothenburg

Anyone else?

stuscotland
post 19.Oct.2009, 08:05 PM
Post #16

I was there in 2006 at Camp Sloan, you from that area? I was not there for long as i did not like the new management and I was there for a internship, they did not uphold the contract so i left just before summer i was there for 3 months in the March untill June. Do you remember any staff like Mr Rover or Steve? or any office staff?
What do you do over here?
Go to the top of the page
+
Benzed
post 19.Oct.2009, 09:21 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (stuscotland @ 19.Oct.2009, 09:05 PM) *
I was there in 2006 at Camp Sloan, you from that area? I was not there for long as i did not like the new management and I was there for a internship, they did not uphold the ... (show full quote)

Not from America at all. Mr Rover was a top top man, former US Olympic rowing coach if I remember correctly. Steve wasn't the big former US baseball pitcher was he? Riding around in his golf cart constantly and considering himself the main man of the camp. I presume Kathleen Woods is long gone, I think she shagged Steve - if that's what his name was - and got booted once he was tired of her. Or was Steve the guy who runs Fall Camp? Been a while now. The office staff were basically all English girls by memory, none went back after that year as far as I am aware.

Over here, I drink. You?

QUOTE (craicen @ 19.Oct.2009, 07:13 PM) *
Correction, your friend from South Carolina, is not a Yankee and if he has his roots in the South would (or at least should) be just as insulted as an Irishman who was called ... (show full quote)

I ain't no Brit, boy. And it ain't no mistake. You're a septic - get into it.
+
Windup Bird
post 20.Oct.2009, 07:44 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Benzed @ 19.Oct.2009, 10:51 AM) *
Whereabouts in CT? Know a little town called Lakeville at all? I worked at a big summercamp there for 9 weeks in 2001.

I'm from Ridgefield, in the southwest corner of the state. I just had to google Lakeville. Looks like it's in Salisbury, which I do know of. That's in a kind of nook in CT, which I don't think too many people go to unless they have a specific reason. I bet it's nice though. Even halfway upstate in the Kent area is nice...though there's not much to do.
+
Benzed
post 21.Oct.2009, 12:18 PM
Post #19

Yeah, it is very picturesque. Kind of jammed in there close to the borders of Massachussetts and NY as well as CT.

I couldn't stay with my girlfriend in a motel in Massachussetts as we didn't have a marriage licence, and in CT a brawler ripped his shirt open Hulk Hogan style to insert fear into me and my foreigner colleagues as part of a bar fight. Classic times!
+
Globalnomad
post 21.Oct.2009, 01:15 PM
Post #20

Jeez ... I guess I'm a veteran. I'm originally from West Los Angeles ( Brentwood ) and have been living in Kinna ( about 1 hour outside of Göteborg ) for 13 years. The only thing that has saved my sanity is the fact that my wife works for SAS and I go home regularly. Otherwise, I would have probably put a bullet in my head because despite all the years living here and working full time and raising my family, I never felt at home here. I've met so many Americans over the years and I've seen them come and I've seen them go which made it difficult to connect with anybody or have a meaningful friendship, so I've been a lone wolf, not by my choosing. Years ago we tried ( and failed ) to start an American Men's Club which was regrettable because I know there are many Americans living in and around the Göteborg/Borås area. It's a shame we could never get our s**t together like the other expats but I'm always willing to try again !
+
Noxtion
post 21.Oct.2009, 04:06 PM
Post #21

I'm from a little town in North Carolina, boardering Virgina.

I moved to Göteborg around 4 months ago. Currently I'm in Swedish classes trying to finish them quickly so I can go into University and finish up a degree.

I'm hoping that there are more young, but not too young Americans around. I have one in my class, oddly. And had another until we were transfered. The school said they had never seen anything like it! Three at once. But we are always looking for more like us. Perhaps to even help us with our Swedish practice, though we only have minimal basics down.

Great to know there are others out there!

I remember last year when I came for a visit I was speaking with some Swedish friends at Java when an American heard me and spoke with us for a moment. It was quite a shock, but a good one!
+
stuscotland
post 21.Oct.2009, 04:19 PM
Post #22

Yeah Mr Rover was on the olympic rowing team thats right. Steve was the guy that ran fall camp correct again.

Some good times there. Nice area and close to Manhattan and to Boston awesome spot.
+
Windup Bird
post 22.Oct.2009, 01:51 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (Benzed @ 21.Oct.2009, 11:18 AM) *
I couldn't stay with my girlfriend in a motel in Massachussetts as we didn't have a marriage licence, and in CT a brawler ripped his shirt open Hulk Hogan style to ins ... (show full quote)

Hahaha! That's pretty epic. Why does this sort of stuff always happen to foreigners and not locals?
+
Benzed
post 22.Oct.2009, 02:42 PM
Post #24

Come on, that's elementary! We were macking successfully on local slutz, using our silken tongued foreign drawl to create the swoon effect. Oooh yeah.
+
Windup Bird
post 23.Oct.2009, 02:49 PM
Post #25

Ahaha! Of course, what else. You must have been very exotic in those parts...like a polar bear in the desert.

By the way, World Series is coming up next week. Anyone interested in coercing some bar to play it on TV? I'm more of a casual baseball fan myself, but I was living in Philadelphia last year when they won, and now they're in it again. If the Yankees get in, it will be a pretty epic and heated match-up. Any takers?
+
Jennifer B
post 25.Oct.2009, 07:54 PM
Post #26

I do not live in Gothenurg but would love to get out. I have recently moved from Dallas, TX to Sweden. I am currently staying in Kristianstad. I would love to get together with some Americans. Team Gothenburg sounds fun!!
+
davvan
post 18.Feb.2010, 06:16 PM
Post #27

Joselyn N read your private messages.. Email thingy didnt work.
+
lensart
post 17.Jul.2010, 09:27 PM
Post #28

Seems like this topic is a bit cold, but if there is a 'Club America' in Göteborg, I'd appreciate knowing about it.

Thanks.
+
Darwinder
post 18.Jul.2010, 01:48 AM
Post #29

I'm Canadian living in Gothenburg...does that count? =)
+
Tennessee Thunder
post 18.Jul.2010, 08:06 AM
Post #30

Knoxville Tennessee dry.gif
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN