• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »    Reply to this topic

Swedish Driving Licence - Tests

Insights into testing procedure

Rick Methven
post 23.Oct.2009, 09:14 AM
Post #16

raffe

Another point, you should get a Swedish licence with 12 months of comming to Sweden even if your Dutch licence is still valid
Go to the top of the page
+
raffe
post 23.Oct.2009, 09:55 AM
Post #17

Thanks Rick. You just made my day... I was a bit worried since the bitchin' and moaning on this forum and by one of my American colleagues...
+
Rick Methven
post 23.Oct.2009, 10:10 AM
Post #18

The free exchange of European licences goeas back a long way even before the EU. I had a british licence when I moved to Holland in the early 70's. I got a Dutch licence in exchange before the U.K. joined the EU. It was based on common standards of the driving test in some countries (Belgian licence was a bit dodgy - but thats another story!)
+
Shredder
post 23.Oct.2009, 10:12 AM
Post #19

I got my license earlier this year, and yes, it was freakin' expensive (<a href="http://triniswede.blogspot.com/2009/04/swedish-drivers-license-finally.html">price break down in my case</a>), but there is no around it, except:

• If you have been driving for 5+ years in any country, then it is just a matter of what kind of transmission you can handle.
  • If you have been driving manual, or REALLY know how to, then you could probably get away with taking 3 or 4 driving classes just to get used to the roundabouts and road signs.
  • If you have only driven automatic, but have access to practice on someone's manual shift car, then do what I did and get the learner's permit and drive all the time (required to have the licensed person, who has been approved, with you in the car at all times, no exceptions). By doing this for almost a year, by the time I was ready to go to the driving school, shifting was the least of my concern. I took 3 driving classes, and then passed the tests with no problem.
  • If you have never driven manual, don't have access to a manual, then it will be up to the discretion of the instructor, and most likely you will have to pay full fare. At the end of the day, you HAVE to get the license if you really want to be able to drive here, so do what you must.
  • As for the written test. The practice tests are harder than the exam itself, so practice, practice, practice.
+
Cassie.M
post 23.Oct.2009, 11:00 AM
Post #20

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if they purchased the online practice theory test questions in English? I have my test coming up and need to do some studying!

Thanks!
+
dahlin
post 23.Oct.2009, 02:55 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (raffe @ 23.Oct.2009, 08:55 AM) *
Thanks Rick. You just made my day... I was a bit worried since the bitchin' and moaning on this forum and by one of my American colleagues...

Hey Raffe ...lucky you to be able to do the straight swap but trust me, if you had gone through what most of us have gone through to get a Swedish licence from scratch after being behind the wheel for a various a number of decades...You'd be a bitchin and a moanin as well wink.gif
+
sodafox
post 23.Oct.2009, 03:27 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (Cassie.M @ 23.Oct.2009, 12:00 PM) *
Hi,. Can anyone tell me if they purchased the online practice theory test questions in English? I have my test coming up and need to do some studying!. Thanks!

The Practice questions from STR do come in English... you need to specify this thou' otherwise you may get a Swedish set.
+
octavian
post 17.Dec.2009, 02:53 AM
Post #23

Im probably going to be working in sweden,and i need my Semi-truck licence. Does anyone know what is involved in getting a semi-truck licencs in sweden?
+
Rick Methven
post 17.Dec.2009, 07:40 AM
Post #24

are you from an EU country? If so its just a awap, if not them you must take a test here
+
octavian
post 19.Dec.2009, 03:06 AM
Post #25

i live in the united states so i guess ill have to take it again huh.
+
swozzie
post 19.Dec.2009, 08:26 AM
Post #26

Yup. You will
+
Rick Methven
post 19.Dec.2009, 09:16 AM
Post #27

Sweden follows the EU rules on Drivers Licenses.

Your US Semi-truck licence in the EU requires a CE group license - Tractor with one or more trailers of over 750Kg weight.

You can drive in Sweden on your US license for a period of 12 months from the date that you are registered as a Swedish resident (that is when you are issued with a personnummer).

So you have to take a test within 12 months - The good news is that when you have passed the CE group test you will be issued with a Licence that also covers B (cars) and BE (cars with a trailer over 750 kg). The minimum age is Sweden for a CE licence is 18 (I had to wait until I was 20 to take mine in the UK)

To make things easier for yourself, you should also get an International Drivers permit covering the class of vehicles you want to drive, before you move here.
+
octavian
post 19.Dec.2009, 03:27 PM
Post #28

Oh OK Thanks Rick!
+
ladyluck37
post 19.Dec.2009, 04:06 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (little_lulu @ 1.Dec.2009, 04:07 PM) *
So it's about 4020SEK to get a DL in Sweden? I agree, that's expensive but it's actually cheaper than it is to get a license in the U.S., at least in the state I l ... (show full quote)

What state do you live in? Don't you have the option of taking driver's ed in high school to avoid the private fees?
+
Swedify
post 19.Dec.2009, 06:58 PM
Post #30

I recently got my license. I'm an Aussie who has driven for 10+ years. I passed both the driving and the theory test first go, on the same day! Woo hoo!

In order to pass the theory test I went to a driving school and bought 20 online tests in english over the counter. These were invaluable. They were very close to the actual test, and showed you the way they way you to think about your driving. I also did tests from Teo's (? From memory, cant remember as boyf got it for me). I was doing tests all the time as I had heard it was really hard and I didnt want to fail. It actually wasnt as hard as I was expecting, but I still highly recommend doing the old tests over and over.

I also read the book a few times, and when I got things wrong in the practice tests I would just go over that section again. Stuff about trailors/tractors/license classes was a bit confusing. Also memorise the statistics like how many people die each year and how much alcohol in a drink etc, and make sure you know your road signs.

I had 3 driving lessons with a driving school. These were good as I got to practice in the area I did the test in (Jakobsberg) and picked up a few tips, mainly it was beneficial to drive in the area of the test, at the same time of day as the test. I think Jakobsberg was a pretty easy area to drive in, btw...hint hint.

Best of luck! cool.gif
+

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se