• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    Reply to this topic

Swedish Driving Licence - Tests

Insights into testing procedure

swozzie
post 19.Dec.2009, 08:15 PM
Post #31

Grattis !! Quite an achievement to ace it first go. Onya!
Go to the top of the page
+
Swedify
post 19.Dec.2009, 11:39 PM
Post #32

Thanks! I was quite chuffed I must admit. I was quite the nervous 17 year old again. But I dont thnk its as hard as they make out, especially if you have a bit of experience.
+
Gun
post 22.Dec.2009, 03:40 PM
Post #33

Hej!
I studied online with www.korkort.se
Körkortsfrågorna Online
passed exam in Väggverket with the first time, I am happy smile.gif
+
NewYawkuh
post 22.Mar.2010, 07:08 PM
Post #34

I wish that I had read this forum before failing my road test today. This morning I passed the written test with a 56 out of 70. Not great, but I passed. In the last two minutes of the test I called to proctor over to look at a question regarding allowable parking times. I told her that there was no "right" choice of the four offered. She said "there must be!" I invited her to look at the question, the picture and the choices. She did. My screen turned off with her hanging over my shoulder, shaking her head and counting on her fingers. She didn't see the right answer either, but apparently "there must be."

Now for the practical test. I took that this afternoon in a half-horse town up north and failed. FYI, I've been a licensed driver for twenty-one years. During seventeen of those years I've gotten a license to drive everything from motorcycles to NY city cabs, limos, buses and semi-trailers. I drove for a living. I have never ever ever caused an accident. I have never gotten a speeding ticket or traffic warning of any kind. I was run into once by an inexperienced driver in a mall parking lot with only damage to the paint, and clipped slightly by UHaul at a toll plaza. But, besides that zip, zilch nada. Absolutely clean driving record...except for the NYC parking tickets.

My instructor asked where I was from. I said "New York," and it went downhill from there. Apparently, I didn't drive far enough in the ditch on the one and one half lane landsveg, and was a little too cautious with the right hand rule. Apparently, I had the right of way but slowed down too much while was driving in an unfamiliar part of the city- not knowing if the kid who shot his car halfway out knew I had the right of way or if he was going to stop or not.
My lane placement was lacking and I didn't anticipate dangers satisfactorily.

The tester said "You notice that you drive automatic cars. Maybe you should take five or six lessons at a driving school and retry." I wanted to scream. My wife (Swedish) was absolutely shocked and she did. She rebooked the test immediately for later in the week, but I think that I'm going to cancel and go to one of the traffic schools "i stan" (ROFLMAO) and get talked down to by someone who has never seen more than two lanes of traffic at a time, or backed a trailer through parked cars into NYC loading dock a few times. Maybe then I'll be able to pass.
+
gplusa
post 22.Mar.2010, 10:04 PM
Post #35

I've heard tales before of American drivers getting a rougher ride than other immigrants during the practical testing up here. An American colleague of mine had a much tougher test than I had. He was out for about 45 minutes, whereas my test lasted barely 10 minutes. So there might be something to your frustration. That being said, maybe the school's not such a bad idea for an hour. To cover the "I don't care how good you are, this is how we do things in Sweden" side of the test. I learnt some new things that the examiner was obviously looking for.
+
Amber Dawn
post 23.Mar.2010, 06:34 AM
Post #36

So, if you fail, do you have to pay the full fee to retake it? I know we didn't in the US, but I didn't fail. Thanks.
+
brissiedan
post 24.Mar.2010, 10:26 PM
Post #37

Yes, full fee including the rental of the Vagverket special car! That hurts, so you don't want to fail twice.
+
Amber Dawn
post 24.Mar.2010, 11:21 PM
Post #38

Dow dumb is it that this is the thing I am most nervous about? I can move across the world, knowing five people, to get married and start my life, but the drivers license scares the crap out of me. sigh.
+
Alma
post 24.Mar.2010, 11:43 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (NewYawkuh @ 22.Mar.2010, 07:08 PM) *
I wish that I had read this forum before failing my road test today. This morning I passed the written test with a 56 out of 70. Not great, but I passed. In the last two minut ... (show full quote)

The first time I took the theory test, I failed, got 51 (1 less than needed for passing). I passed the driving part.
Now here come my words of wisdom smile.gif, so you do not make the same mistake I made.

I went on a vacation, and upon return, I went to book the written test. I couldn't do it on-line. I called VV and they told me that theory test and driving can not be taken more than 2 months apart. I went back to check the VV web page, and sure enough, this was stated, I just missed the "fine print".

So, I had to retake (pay again) both, theory and driving, although I have passed the driving part some three months earlier.

This forum helped me find the on-line tests, and after doing them, have passed both parts smile.gif.

What a pain this process has been. From ice, to new part about safety in driving, to written test and driving.

I was also a clean record US driver with some 15 years experience on manual (not automatic) gear box.

I passed the tests in the US without even looking at the booklet on signs, and with very little driving practice.

I am not sure that extra "learning" in Sweden will make me a better-safer driver, but for sure I've learned a thing or two about traffic signs, which btw mostly do not exist in US, or better say in such form, unless, of course, you take into account "Yield", "One Way", etc...

Anyhow, good luck!
+
Candareen
post 25.Mar.2010, 03:01 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (Alma @ 24.Mar.2010, 11:43 PM) *
I passed the tests in the US without even looking at the booklet on signs, and with very little driving practice.

Despite all the difficulty getting a license here, I'm glad people can't say the same in Sweden! Would rather it be this way and have less idiots on the road... although that didn't keep me off them during my first couple of years here biggrin.gif

Driving lessons are a must. Before my test, I took 5 lessons at a driving school and the 2000 kr plunge was definitely worth it. I was able to get familiar with what would be checked during the test and had a chance to work on weaknesses. Took the test the day after my last lesson and passed with flying colors. It helped too that I was familiar with the area I was driving in and that my examiner seemed like a nice guy and wasn't out to get me. In my case, he was kind of amused I was from the US.

Can't tell you what a relief it is to finally get your license!
+
local_in_overseas
post 5.May.2010, 11:14 PM
Post #41

Hi Expats,

Just downloaded the teo 2009 and practising. I have doubts about some questions. I would really appriciate if anybody give me the explanation of the following questions+answes.

1. Stopping Distance = Distance of reaction + braking distance
what is the braking distance when you drive at 50 km/h on a normal state road
ans. 30 meters

Why and How:

2. What is the Braking Distance at 110 km/h ?

ans. 80 meters

Why and how ?

3. What is the Distance of reaction when you drive at 70 km/h

ans. 20 meters
Why and how ?

4. How long is the braking distance of a train with the speed 200 km/h?

ans. 1200 m.
Why and how ?

5. How much longer do the braking distance become when you double up your speed ?
ans. Four times as long

Why and how ?

6. You originally drive at 100 km/h. How much time do you save per swedish mile by increasing your average speed with 10 km/h?
ans. 1/2 minute
[b]Why and how ?[/b]
+
gplusa
post 6.May.2010, 06:36 AM
Post #42

You'd do your head in if you tried to figure out all the stats and figures that are in the road rules book. The theory tests can be a bit tricky, but, when it comes to those figures questions, my experience was that they only asked about the specific examples in the official manual. Like those you've posted.
+
lordmagneto
post 6.May.2010, 06:46 AM
Post #43

QUOTE (Alma @ 24.Mar.2010, 10:43 PM) *
This forum helped me find the on-line tests, and after doing them, have passed both parts smile.gif. . Anyhow, good luck!

Where exactly did you find the online tests for practice? Would love to know.
Thanks.
JD
+
local_in_overseas
post 6.May.2010, 11:39 AM
Post #44

QUOTE (gplusa @ 6.May.2010, 05:36 AM) *
You'd do your head in if you tried to figure out all the stats and figures that are in the road rules book. The theory tests can be a bit tricky, but, when it comes to tho ... (show full quote)

Thanks GPLUSA ! I would check the book which I dont have at the moment. I would really appriciate if somebody answer meanwhile I get the books.

I downloaded the "TRAFISKOLAN TEO" from online. To all others who are searching this, just go to a google and search "TRAFISKOLAN TEO torrent". You will get a good amount of source to download.You can check at your local library too !!

By the way ! Is there anybody recently passed the theroy test. Please share your experience. In fact my tight budget makes me a bit nervous .. lol

all the best !!
+
snudel
post 13.Jun.2010, 07:45 AM
Post #45

Hi guys, I am planning to take the driving licence, and wondering if the driving test could be taken in an automatic car. I've noticed most Swedes drive manual cars. Thanks in advance.
+

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply