• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Live-in caregiver jobs in Sweden and Denmark

How easy to get those nowadays?

stapleton3000
post 3.Nov.2009, 03:30 PM
Post #1

Hello!

I know that usually in rich and developed western countries there're lots of senior folks and they need to be taken care of. Local people are not exactly thrilled to work in this field, so its usually foreign workers (like phillipino women) do those kind of jobs. So how easy would be to get those jobs (say we're a couple-35 yo's, have a right to work in Sweden or Denmark, have a driver's license and one of us speaks near perfect American English.) ?
Go to the top of the page
+
Puffin
post 3.Nov.2009, 03:40 PM
Post #2

I would say that it is pretty tough as the state provides home care services in Sweden and Denmark and it is subsidised by the state - in some kommuns this is outsourced to private care providers such as Partena Care (you would need to check with the kommun to see which one they have contracts with or whether the service is in house)

In Sweden it is usually required that
- you have a care qualification or care training
- speak good Swedish

There are also a number of maid/domestic help services such as Maid in Sweden/Home Maid etc that provide domestic help - I don't know whether they employ live-in houskeeping staff as all the contracts I have heard about have been hourly - although some advertise that they offer English speakers
+
karlajose
post 3.Nov.2009, 08:58 PM
Post #3

yes its tough here to find a work as a caregiver. like me, i studied caregiving in phils but when i come here in sweden its not so easy.
but i heard about au-pair in denmark, im goin to check the website about it.
+
Puffin
post 3.Nov.2009, 11:34 PM
Post #4

This company claims to be able to provide English speaking housekeepers, cleaners, cooking, gardening and child-care staff - it says that they are have vacancies - don't know what the terms and conditions are but might be worth checking out

http://www.maidinsweden.se/default.aspx?pr...w/english/start
+
kaze2
post 4.Nov.2009, 12:39 AM
Post #5

They're really really easy jobs to get. A lot of students do such work around here.
The primary requisite though is of course the one that stops most people here getting a considerably better job- Swedish.
+
Puffin
post 4.Nov.2009, 08:36 AM
Post #6

Really? Do you know many live in care givers for the elderly?

I do know students who work the night shift in care home (sleeping on call/sovjour) but not as full time work but to supplement a student grant a couple of nights per week
+
kaze2
post 4.Nov.2009, 01:14 PM
Post #7

I know two girls who have gone to Norway to do the live in thing in the past.

I know loads of Swedes though who do elderly care via housecalls. It really does seem to be the easiest job in the world to get.
+
Puffin
post 4.Nov.2009, 01:41 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (kaze2 @ 4.Nov.2009, 01:14 PM) *
I know loads of Swedes though who do elderly care via housecalls. It really does seem to be the easiest job in the world to get.

I agree that it is pretty easy to come by home care or evening care work - or possible an au-pair type contract although pay is low and the work is time restricted

However the OP had two specific requirements that are less common in my experience
1. a private "live in" arrangement for a couple
2 work for a couple with no Swedish and where only one speaks English

In my experience these two specific criteria narrow the possibilities dramatically
+
Furu
post 5.Nov.2009, 12:55 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (stapleton3000 @ 3.Nov.2009, 03:30 PM) *
Hello!I know that usually in rich and developed western countries there're lots of senior folks and they need to be taken care of. Local people are not exactly thrille ... (show full quote)

Above all you may need a license/certification to perform this job officially.
+
stapleton3000
post 5.Nov.2009, 03:09 PM
Post #10

and what about household live-in employment? probably the license isn't required, but is it the way it works or people usually just come and leave work after ,say, 8 hrs.?
is it easy to find something like that?
+
Puffin
post 5.Nov.2009, 05:23 PM
Post #11

I doubt if is very easy to find this type of work as the few super rich who could afford a live in couple would probably have certain lanague requirements - most people even if wealthy tend to have live-out or contract staff as the social insurance costs can be very high

You could try some of the agencies as they would be more likely to know about current markets

As you are looking for work as a couple it means that au-pair contracts are unlikely - although this is the most common form of live in help
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists
Click here for the full job description