• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Obtaining a PUT (Permanent Residence Permit)

PUT after years of work

delusion1982
post 20.Jan.2010, 05:33 PM
Post #1

Hi, This thing has been confusing me for a while, and I would appreciate if someone has got a right answer for it!
Is it in the law that after working in Sweden for 4 years (with a 1 year temporal residence/work permit, extended every year), you automatically obtain a PUT (permanent residence permit) and hence after 3 years(?) of having it one can apply for a Swedish citizenship? O is it that there is no way to get a permanent residence permit without being a refugee, family reunion, marriage...

The other question is that, PhD students are employed as working employees, and hence pay normal tax as any other employee, do these years PhD students have count into the PUT period?

Thanks for all clarifications!
Go to the top of the page
+
Furu
post 20.Jan.2010, 05:51 PM
Post #2

RP time that counts towards PUT

Work
Self Employed
Relationship

For E.g. If you had Work Permit for 4 years (2 renewals of 2 years each) you are eligible for PUT after residing 4 years and Citizenship after residing 5 years.
+
delusion1982
post 20.Jan.2010, 06:03 PM
Post #3

Thanks Furu, does anyone have a link to where this information is official on maybe migrationsverket.se?
+
Puffin
post 20.Jan.2010, 06:23 PM
Post #4

According to Migrationsverket -
PUT

If you are granted a residence and work permit
If you are granted a residence and work permit you need to bring your original passport with you when you pick up your permit.

Permit validity period
If the employment is temporary, you will get a residence and work permit that only covers the relevant period. The maximum validity period for your permit is two years. You can then apply for an extension. After 48 months you may be granted a permanent residence permit.
http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/160_en.html

Citizenship

The period of residence is calculated as the time you have spent in Sweden with a permit for settlement.

Different periods of residence
The period of residence required varies depending on whether you are a foreign citizen, stateless or a refugee.

Foreign citizen
You are required to have been resident in Sweden for at least five years. This period of residence is to have been continuous.
http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/499_en.html

http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/498_en.html
+
delusion1982
post 21.Jan.2010, 01:56 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Puffin @ 20.Jan.2010, 05:23 PM) *
The period of residence is calculated as the time you have spent in Sweden with a permit for settlement.

What is then exactly a "permit of settlement"? work/residence is included ? or you have to somehow announce your will to become a citizen when you first apply for a visa?
+
Puffin
post 21.Jan.2010, 03:19 PM
Post #6

There are certain permits for guest workers that exclude the right of residence
+
Fernandis
post 21.Jan.2010, 11:56 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (delusion1982 @ 21.Jan.2010, 02:56 PM) *
What is then exactly a "permit of settlement"? work/residence is included ? or you have to somehow announce your will to become a citizen when you first apply for a visa?

Students get RP for studies but if you are employed or a have job, you get same RP but based on job. Both RP look same, but the background information is only available with migrationsverket. When you apply for PUT based on RP then migrationverket collect ur information based on ur visas and if it was issued for studies then they will reject ur application for PUT, but if it was issued based on employment (not Ph.D studies based employment) then you can apply for PUT after 4 years of employment.

With regard to Ph.D students who are employed because they pay tax, but still they get RP for studies not for employment, therefore you do not qualify for PUT. RP based on job employment means that you intend to stay in sweden on permanent basis (residence settlement), but RP based on studies mean you do not intend to stay in Sweden on permanent basis.
+
Furu
post 22.Jan.2010, 02:11 AM
Post #8

So people who are in Sweden on a continuous RP and plan to do a Phd, what permit they should apply.
+
delusion1982
post 22.Jan.2010, 09:12 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Fernandis @ 21.Jan.2010, 11:56 PM) *
When you apply for PUT based on RP then migrationverket collect ur information based on ur visas and if it was issued for studies then they will reject ur application for PUT.

Thanks Fernandis, This is what I was doubting actually... but still it doesn't seem to make sense to me. When I came to Sweden 3 years ago I came with a work permit without studying, and then after 1 year they offered me at my academy to do PhD at the same time (because academies in Sweden get money from the goverment on each student they graduate ~1 Million krowns). So I started my PhD and since then I am a student.

If you look at what Migrationsverket say from Puffin post above : "Other types of residence permit, e.g. when you have been here for a visit or as a visiting student, researcher, teacher, sportsperson, musician or artist, do not count"
These don't include the regular students.

And now, if I start work after my PhD do I have to stay for another 4 years to get the PUT? or 5 to get citizenship?

Fernandis, do you have any link to some official website stating what you said?
+
Fernandis
post 22.Jan.2010, 04:16 PM
Post #10

Well, actually I don't have link to any website, but a friend of mine has been through this process. He came from India with work permit but later he decided to join Ph.D, although he was still sponsored by industry (his Ph.D salary was paid by Industry). And after 4 years (while he was ph.D student) when he applied for PUT, his application was rejected because of that fact that his Visa status for RP which was originally issued for work in the begining, had been changed for RP for studies. SO YOU NEVER GET PUT IF YOU ARE ON STUDENT-RP, AND neither you can count this time towards Citizenship.

And as you asked about "regular student", if you hold PUT and study then you are counted as regular or local student because you are not living in Sweden because of your studies as you already hold PUT, but if you hold a RP which was given/converted for studies (temporary which you have to renew, its regarded as temporary residence permit which is issued for 1-2 years) then you will be considered as a GUEST STUDENT, because you are not the citizen/national of this country and you main purpose of stay is to study.

Only one option: Do not apply for RP for studies/students if you renew your visa, Just apply for Work Permit based RP, and if are to get this then u can consider this time towards PUT. I suggest just make an attempt for work permit although u r student, and tell them that you need work permit because you have to pay tax, and this is a requirement from industry where u get ur salary. If they refused, they'll ask you to re-apply for visa based on studies.
+
Furu
post 22.Jan.2010, 08:47 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (mkh @ 22.Jan.2010, 09:02 AM) *
Thanks for the info, As it is difficult to get in touch with the local embassy here, so i would like to do the transfer of sticker there in Sweden, I want to know if someone e ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (Fernandis @ 22.Jan.2010, 04:16 PM) *
Well, actually I don't have link to any website, but a friend of mine has been through this process. He came from India with work permit but later he decided to join Ph.D, ... (show full quote)

I found this as a problem because according to industry you are an employee but according to MSVT you are a student.
+
activex
post 6.Jul.2010, 02:48 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Furu @ 20.Jan.2010, 05:51 PM) *
RP time that counts towards PUTWorkSelf EmployedRelationshipFor E.g. If you had Work Permit for 4 years (2 renewals of 2 years each) you are eligible for PUT after residing 4 ... (show full quote)

Is in total 5 years or 4 (work permit) + 5 (PUT) after 9 years can apply for Citizenship ?
+
Puffin
post 6.Jul.2010, 04:26 PM
Post #13

If you are a PhD student don't you have a student permit - not a work permit?
+
Craptastical
post 6.Jul.2010, 04:47 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (activex @ 6.Jul.2010, 03:48 PM) *
Is in total 5 years or 4 (work permit) + 5 (PUT) after 9 years can apply for Citizenship ?

It's 5 years total. Here's an example...

You arrive in Sweden on January 31, 2006 on a 4 year work permit (UT valid starting January 31, 2006)
You apply for and are granted a PUT which starts February 1, 2010.
You're eligible to apply for citizenship in February 2011.

So, you would have been here for 4 years on a work permit/UT plus one year on a PUT. Note that this is only if your work permit is NOT as a visiting researcher.

I hope this helps.
+
activex
post 7.Jul.2010, 03:04 PM
Post #15

Thanks for your answer. Yah, I mean work permit on job. But does work permit i.e uppehålls- och arbetstillstånd is UT?

UT is residence permit for settlement. How do I know my uppehålls- och arbetstillstånd is acutally UT? or UT is something else.

On MV, it is written
CODE
If you had a permanent residence permit (PUT) or a residence permit for settlement (UT) when you entered Sweden, you count the duration of stay from your date of arrival. Otherwise, the duration of stay is calculated from the date on which you submitted your application for a residence permit and were approved. If your application was initially rejected and you then submitted a new application, the time is counted from the date on which you received approval.

http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/499_en.html

I have ask from MV about work permit period counts for Citizenship. They just repeat this line again and again ...
CODE
Other types of residence permit, e.g. when you have been here for a visit or as a visiting student, researcher, teacher, sportsperson, musician or artist, do not count.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options