• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Permanent Residency in Sweden

New Zealand Citizen

Yoana
post 25.Jan.2010, 05:32 AM
Post #1

Hi,

My boyfriend is from New Zealand (I'm Swedish) and he's just recieved permanent Residency in Sweden through me.

I'm curious to know if he's allowed to live and work elsewhere in Europe on this Visa. I know he can't get a Swedish passport until he's been in Sweden for 5 years. The information I have is that he can do everything in Sweden but vote. I just have no information about what he's entitled to in Europe.

I would really appreciate your help.
Go to the top of the page
+
Marmi
post 25.Jan.2010, 05:53 AM
Post #2

No he can't live, or work, anywhere but in Sweden as permit only applies to Sweden.

If he wants to live or work in any other European country, he has to apply for such permit.

I'm kind of curious why someone would even think that a residency permit for Sweden would give them the same rights to any other country just due to the fact that Sweden is part of the EU? The countries still are separate entities, and govern themselves. smile.gif
+
Yoana
post 25.Jan.2010, 06:19 AM
Post #3

I was only curious as I could not find any information online. The guys at the Swedish Embassy here in Australia seem to think that he is able to work elsewhere but they don't seem so sure.

Thanks for writing your opinion tho...
+
gplusa
post 25.Jan.2010, 08:11 AM
Post #4

Another Kiwi here. No, your partner can only work in Sweden under the terms of his residency permit. He can vote in the local government elections, I believe, but not in the national elections.
+
gplusa
post 25.Jan.2010, 08:13 AM
Post #5

Oh, he can work in the UK also. But he'll need to apply for a UK work permit under the NZ-UK working visa rules.
+
roch
post 25.Jan.2010, 08:42 AM
Post #6

Hej!

I am kiwi with a Swedish partner. My visas have always been family ties (sambo) and I got my PUT last year. There is a possibility of getting Swedish citizenship and then a Swedish passport after 3 years (at the discretion of the immigration department) When you have that, then you can work and live in any EU country. I am going to apply when my 3 years are nearly up (June) and see what happens. For every other visa type you have to wait 4 or 5 years but the family ties permits are less.

Why pay a gazzilion dollars for a UK visa (working holiday, work permit etc) that you have to now have masses of documentation and money for, when once you have the Swedish passport it is free. You can move freely around the EU.

I know it is something we have kept in the back of our heads as work as been scarce this last year and it is good to know in case we really do have to move to find better work.
Good luck!
+
gplusa
post 25.Jan.2010, 08:45 AM
Post #7

I think that the minimum time period for citizenship, if you are married to, or living permanently with, a Swedish citizen for 2 years prior to coming to Sweden, is 3 years. Taken from the date that you arrive into Sweden. A few things you can't do as a non-citizen, workwise. You can't work on some government contracts, or on a lot of military contracts. But that's the same in many countries.

The Australian embassy is not terribly helpful, or fast. But the Swedish consulate in Wellington is a lot better.
+
Yoana
post 25.Jan.2010, 09:56 AM
Post #8

Thanks for all the great information guys!! Really helpful...

We have not arrived in Sweden yet but as we have lived together for 3 years here in Oz he was given a permanent residency visa.

We're not to fuzzed about the whole voting thing and I think he's happy if he doesn't have to vote anyway!!! hehe

We'll have to stay in Sweden for some time then... Bummer!! hehe We wanted to go to Norway to save up some money!!
+
Essingen
post 25.Jan.2010, 09:58 AM
Post #9

Why pay a gazzilion dollars for a UK visa

Is it only a gazzilion biggrin.gif

The UK is an enormous rip off for all aspects of consular services. Take passport renewal for example. You can't even get one now here in Stockholm. You have to send it to Germany, pay £124 plus courier costs. If you want to make enquiries you have to phone the UK and pay GBP 0.69 a minute + VAT + the cost of an international call as charged by your operator.
+
Aavenr
post 25.Jan.2010, 04:11 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (roch @ 25.Jan.2010, 08:42 AM) *
There is a possibility of getting Swedish citizenship and then a Swedish passport after 3 years (at the discretion of the immigration department)

Roch: Do you mean to say that this is a full 3 years after you become a citizen? Ie. if I don't have family ties i'd be looking at 8 years of living here to get a swedish passport?
+
roch
post 25.Jan.2010, 04:15 PM
Post #11

Hej,,,,
No...
As far as I am aware once you have citizenship you can apply right away for a passport :-)
+
Furu
post 25.Jan.2010, 10:18 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Yoana @ 25.Jan.2010, 05:32 AM) *
Hi,My boyfriend is from New Zealand (I'm Swedish) and he's just recieved permanent Residency in Sweden through me.I'm curious to know if he's allowed to live a ... (show full quote)

You can also get a EC Long Term Resident permit after living 5 years in Sweden which will allow you to work in any EU country (except Denmark, Ireland and UK).
+
Aavenr
post 25.Jan.2010, 10:43 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (roch @ 25.Jan.2010, 04:15 PM) *
Hej,,,,. No... . As far as I am aware once you have citizenship you can apply right away for a passport :-)

Ah, I figured. I am breathing a small sigh of relief here.. thanks! smile.gif

QUOTE (Furu @ 25.Jan.2010, 10:18 PM) *
You can also get a EC Long Term Resident permit after living 5 years in Sweden which will allow you to work in any EU country (except Denmark, Ireland and UK).

And I guess it's fair to say the swedish citizenship (also after 5 years) would allow you just as well to work across the EU, right?
+
Furu
post 25.Jan.2010, 11:07 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Aavenr @ 25.Jan.2010, 10:43 PM) *
Ah, I figured. I am breathing a small sigh of relief here.. thanks! And I guess it's fair to say the swedish citizenship (also after 5 years) would allow you just as w ... (show full quote)

Correct, but EC Long Term Permit works well for those who cannot obtain dual Citizenship.
+
skane refugee
post 26.Jan.2010, 09:47 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Yoana @ 25.Jan.2010, 09:56 AM) *
We'll have to stay in Sweden for some time then... Bummer!! hehe We wanted to go to Norway to save up some money!!

Small point ... Norway and Switzerland (the 2 countries with arguably the highest and most sustainable standards of living in Europe) ... are (not surprisingly ;o) ) both currently not members of the EU ...

Therefore there would be special rules to work in Norway even if your BF had an EU passport ...

None of us have a crystal ball to see the future ... but unless alternative energy replaces oil in the near future ... it's a fair bet that Norway will be the safest haven in Europe during the current economic crisis (which could last many years :-( ) ... so if there's any way you can find to get there it's a fair bet you'll be very happy you did in years to come ...

Good luck to both of you Yoana!
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN