• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Studying medicine in Sweden

Can anyone help me?

jude89
post 6.Feb.2010, 02:24 PM
Post #1

hej there,
I'm 20 years and from germany...
i'm considering to study medicine in sweden...
does anyone can tell me about it???
is ist hard to get a place?
how is the programme? which university is the best?
how is the application procedure?
it would be lovely to get some helpful answers!
Go to the top of the page
+
HALE
post 6.Feb.2010, 04:07 PM
Post #2

Check LIU. Linköping University. I had a friend study medicine there.
It is one of the big Medicine Universities in Sweden.

http://www.liu.se/?l=en

Not too hard to get accommodation. They have a student organisation to help with housing.
The also have swedish courses for uni students to fast track them.
You will need to be able to support yourself though or have some kind of student loan going as there is not much work for students avail in Linköping.
+
wotist
post 6.Feb.2010, 04:49 PM
Post #3

Getting accepted is the hard bit. A perfect grade might not be enough. I know that in the past, some Medical schools have used a lottery system when they've had more students with perfect grades applying than they could admit. I don't know if you have some sort of advantage from being a foreigner - The schools might want to promote diversity. I suggest getting in touch with a university directly to find out. HALEs like in the post above might be a start.

A lot of Swedes study medicine abroad because they didn't get accepted to study medicine in Sweden. I can't say how many exactly - but know (and know of) more Swedes studying medicine in Denmark and eastern European countries than I know people studying medicine here in Sweden. Some of these start their education in other countries with the intent to seek to transfer to a Swedish medical school after a few years. Of course, some never come back at all.

The association of Medical Doctors in Sweden has lobbied hard since the mid/early -90's to keep down the number of people being admitted to medical school in Sweden. They have lobbied with the intention of keeping the number Medical Doctors graduating being lower than the demand - Thus creating a situation where no doctor end up without a job (no matter how bad). The yearly increases in income for MD's has also been far better than for the population as a whole for quite a number of years as a result of this.
+
Puffin
post 6.Feb.2010, 06:01 PM
Post #4

Getting a place in medical school is very hard

You will need perfect grades from school - even then it may not be enough as they hold a lottery among those with perfect grades. There are too few medical places in Sweden so many Swedes study in Poland (in English) or in Denmark (in Danish)

You will need to be fully fluent in Swedish to have any chance of being accepted and have a good score from a recognised test suh as TISUS
+
kaze
post 6.Feb.2010, 07:45 PM
Post #5

Very very hard to get a place in Sweden. Many Swedes go off to Romania and the like to do their medical studies.
+
AjayK
post 7.Feb.2010, 10:28 PM
Post #6

Dear Jude,

Believe it is very difficult to get into medical school in Sweden.

Do look to the US and Canada. They have EXCELLENT schools, though American schools are VERY EXPENSIVE.

I believe Hungary and Israel offer medical studies for foreign students in English.

India too has many medical schools that take in foreign students. However, unlike the USA, their standards vary from school to school. Some are EXCELLENT, and try to maintain good standards. Others are 3rd rate.
Also you should be prepared to live in India for so many years and will no doubt have to take exams when you return.

Not being in the medical field myself, I have many friends who are. They tell me that given the large and poor population, with many diseases and sicknesses, India is probably (and sadly) a good place to learn medicine.

Whatever you may decide, GOOD LUCK to you for the future.
+
kaze
post 8.Feb.2010, 12:13 AM
Post #7

Surely the UK would be the better option than the US/Canada? ($4000 a year vs. $40000 or whatever sillyness it is)

Do many western folk go over to India to study medicine?
I'll have to investigate that...Quite interesting if so...
+
kd80
post 16.Apr.2010, 04:01 PM
Post #8

I know this thread is a few months old but I was just reading this site today and saw it... I'm American and studying T1 in a Swedish läkarprogram. It is certainly competitive, but definitely not impossible for a foreigner to get in. It might be harder now with the new admission rules that start in fall this year with the special selection group for students with foreign grades and probably a very limited number of seats dedicated to foreign students. But in a nutshell, you have to do the following:

1. Pass the TISUS test or SAS B.

2. Have your grades evaluated by Högskoleverket for equivalency and then register for any science prerequisite classes that you're missing (you need kemi B, biologi B, fysik B, and matematik D)

3. Take Högskoleprovet. The odds are quite low of getting in without a HP score as the universities use the HP score to sort among applicants with perfect grades (there are more people with perfect grades than seats available). The HP score also lets you compete for seats in the HP selection group -- meaning that even if your grades aren't perfect, you still have a chance of getting in if you get a really good HP score (1,8 or higher from my understanding). You do need to be fluent at least in reading Swedish before attempting the Högskoleprovet.

There's much more information on www.läkarstudent.se if you can read Swedish already.

I would also add that it helps to be REALLY comfortable with speaking Swedish before proceeding. Although I have no issues with listening and reading, and I do okay with writing Swedish, I still am not totally confident with my spoken Swedish despite passing TISUS and it's a huge source of stress in my studies as there is a lot of group work and we also have to do oral examinations in some of the courses. But the course literature is almost all English, so having fluent English can be a strength in the programme also.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
+
Anna-Liza C. Pilares
post 7.Oct.2010, 04:44 PM
Post #9

I am taking up vård-och omsorg course now...and (as for the future) I am thinking of pursuing medicine... and luckily I've found this...
Thanks KD80 for that info! I will check www.läkarstudent.se now. wink.gif
+
Puffin
post 7.Oct.2010, 05:26 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Anna-Liza C. Pilares @ 7.Oct.2010, 05:44 PM) *
I am taking up vård-och omsorg course now...and (as for the future) I am thinking of pursuing medicine... and luckily I've found this...Thanks KD80 for that info! I w ... (show full quote)

Basically you will need MVG in every course or a perfect score on Högskoleprovet to even go into the lottery for med school places - I knew someone who applied with a VG average and she ended up 750 on the waiting list - I think she went ito nursing instead

You should also check whether the vård and omsorg course will give you eligibility for med-school - the course is mainly aimed at people working in care homes and as nursing assistants so you may need to take additional maths and science moduls
+
bobmorton
post 26.Oct.2010, 04:40 AM
Post #11

I would also recommend Linköping University, it's one of the best schools in Sweden.
+
incantatem
post 22.Oct.2012, 08:36 AM
Post #12

For two and a half years, I've been interested in Swedish and Sweden. At first, I was just fascinated by the Swedish language, so I decided to learn it. There are no books I can buy or courses I can attend around me, so my only source was the internet. As the years passed, I decided that studying in a university, living in Sweden and speaking Swedish was a very satisfying and great future plan. Now I'm trying to get information about TISUS, Swedish universities, Swedish education system and living in Sweden in general. I've been searcghing for an example of TISUS exam for a long time, I even sent mails to the universities to learn about it, but I still have nothing. Is there someone who can give me information about TISUS, or the other exams I need to take to be able to study medicine or something else in Sweden? Or maybe an example of a TISUS exam itself? And what is the cost of a year of, for example, a medicine university year in Sweden?
+
Puffin
post 22.Oct.2012, 11:47 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (incantatem @ 22.Oct.2012, 09:36 AM) *
Now I'm trying to get information about TISUS, Swedish universities, Swedish education system and living in Sweden in general. I've been searcghing for an example of T ... (show full quote)

All of the information you need about the actual exam etc if on the TISUS website - there is basic information in English
http://www.nordiska.su.se/tisus/2.23810/ti...studies-1.90668
Some Universities offer an intensive 1 year programme that leads to the TISUS exam or Folkuniversity (not a University but a private adult education college) also runs Swedish courses that (eventually) lead to TISUS
http://www.folkuniversitetet.se/Om-Folkuni...wedish-courses/

An example of the 3 elements of the test
- reading comprehension
- writing
- speaking
Is also on the website
http://www.nordiska.su.se/tisus/infor-provet/exempelprov

You need to ask each University what they charge for läkarprogrammet for a non-EU student as each University sets its own fees and these change from time to time
+
Joachim.Ekstrom
post 23.Oct.2012, 05:55 AM
Post #14

@incantatem:
Hi
The next test date for TISUS in Uppsala is on 30-31 october but the application deadline has passed (http://www.nordiska.uu.se/Education/svenska/tisus/?languageId=1). I've emailed the department about info on the next opportunity to take the TISUS and also to the coordinator for the medicine programme about tuition fees. I'll get back to you when I get a reply.

Have a great day!
Joachim Ekström
Uppsala University
+
Yorkshireman
post 23.Oct.2012, 07:05 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (kaze @ 8.Feb.2010, 12:13 AM) *
Surely the UK would be the better option than the US/Canada? ($4000 a year vs. $40000 or whatever sillyness it is)

It will be difficult, and becoming more difficult, to get into Medical Uni in Sweden. They do not charge tuition fees for EU Students, there is hot competition. One has to wonder if this new selection board has been briefed to reduce the number of foreign students, favouring resident ones indirectly.

Germany courses are filled quickly, and with the freedom of movement rules, Austria found that >50% of applicants for Medical Uni were from Germany, so they introduced a quota of maximum 20% EU students, which was challenged, though I cannot remember if they changed the rule yet. And whilst having low tution fees, that has been doubled over the last few years.

UK changed the rules with regards the cap on Tutition Fees, so you will find that $4000 is no longer applicable, if You are lucky You can find a Medical Uni that will take the £9.000 per year, though there are many that charge considerably more to students. This in return has lead to more and more UK students opting to study elsewhere within the EU where tution fees are lower ...further increasing competition for places!

Make sure Your grades are Excellent, and You stand a much better chance of finding a place, either domestic or somewhere within the EU.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se