• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
30 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Are Swedes cold people?

I'm having problems making friends

Sonia Lopezcastro
post 13.Oct.2005, 12:26 PM
Post #1

I've been living and working in Sweden for 7 months. And I have problems trying to make good friends. Even when most of the Swedes speak english, I suspect that the language difference is a wall between us. Besides that, I have felt that Swedes are not very "open" talking about friendship, is my perception wrong?, or Swedes are really cold people?
///Sonia
Go to the top of the page
+
Solady813
post 13.Oct.2005, 01:19 PM
Post #2

go to adjusting to Sweden and read those comments, maybe you can find an answer there.
+
Eciym
post 13.Oct.2005, 01:22 PM
Post #3

My girlfreinds hands are always freezing
+
Sonia Lopezcastro
post 13.Oct.2005, 01:24 PM
Post #4

Thanks Acquanetta, but I really think my case is different, because I do have a job, I do have "relation" somehow with them... My question goes more for culture matter...
+
Solady813
post 13.Oct.2005, 01:29 PM
Post #5

From my heart and from the mouths of others,,,,,,,,,many seem to be cold hearted.

culture? I love the culture, the forest and sites. i have studied many things on Sweden and still learning. If I can help let me know...

alabamalady813@yahoo.com
+
*Lw*
post 13.Oct.2005, 01:56 PM
Post #6

Sonia- I think Swedes are shy rather than cold. I´ll give you an example. A few nights ago I went to a meeting where no one knew each other. There were about 10 small tables in the room and food/drinks were being served. The first person got some food and sat down at a table in the middle of the room. The second person chose a different table and it carried on like this until almost all the tables had 1 person each. I couldn´t believe it. Rather than mixing and talking to people they don´t know they prefer to sit alone. Very interesting.

So I suppose you just have to take one step at a time...
+
*Nigel E.j. Griffiths*
post 13.Oct.2005, 02:02 PM
Post #7

Lw

Obviously, no one in the room was using underarm deodorants, or maybe they just had bad breath. :twisted:
+
*Örjan Malmstedt*
post 13.Oct.2005, 02:21 PM
Post #8

Lw
You really hit the nail with the hammer. That´s typical Swedish behaviour. Beeing Swede since my birth I have to confess that I´m not really like that. My woman - from Austria - always tells me that I´m totally different from other Swedes she has met. I take that as a compliment. I´m not afraid to tell people my opinion and not afraid to show my feelings. I think that my friends would agree. And since I´m the one who always try to joke with people in the supermarket and whereever...maybe I´m considered as a bit crazy but who cares. I was to the doc the other day and when they were taking the bloodtests I called them vampires and believe it or not - they seemed to enjoy that someone was not just shaking in front of the needle.
+
Solady813
post 13.Oct.2005, 02:28 PM
Post #9

<Örjan, you're not crazy, you just enjoy life. I wish I could tell my man he's different from other swedes, but he's not,,,,,,,,,,,I still love him...that must be why I'm still here! laugh.gif
+
dw
post 13.Oct.2005, 02:31 PM
Post #10

Sonia, if you don't speak Swedish then you will have problems meeting people and becoming part of society. Even though many Swedes speak English, it is not their native language and one can't really expect them to use it for our (native English speakers) cnvenience. Also, while I have met Swedes who have flawless English, it has been my experience that we often assume a level of fluency, particularly in conversational skills, which just isn't there. My advice, learn Swedish. It's not too difficult a language and it will open doors for you which now seem to be closed.

But them again, I do have the advantage of having a Swedish wife and so I had a ready made social circle handed to me from the beginning. And, being originally from the New York City metropolitan area I have a pretty thick skin and am not necessarily the most friendly of chaps myslef. If someone doesn't want to talk to me, screw'em, as I've got more important things to do anyways. But knowing Swedish had made a huge difference when I lived in Sweden before and will be invaluable when I move back in the nest year.
+
*Örjan Malmstedt*
post 13.Oct.2005, 02:32 PM
Post #11

Acquanetta
Of course he must be something different or you wouldn´t love him :wink:
Bet he is very happy with you and you with him. Thanks God we are all different.
+
Solady813
post 13.Oct.2005, 02:36 PM
Post #12

Have to say you are right, because if he were like me,,,,,,,,,hummmmm have to think about that. :roll:
+
Sonia Lopezcastro
post 13.Oct.2005, 02:36 PM
Post #13

Örjan, now I feel identified with your case. Precisely my husband is Swede, as you, but the BIG DIFFERENCE is that he has traveled a lot. I just noticed that a Swede can be completely different when he has been abroad. Then they are adorables !!! biggrin.gif
+
*Örjan Malmstedt*
post 13.Oct.2005, 02:37 PM
Post #14

Daniel

I read somewhere that Swedish is one of the most difficult languages to learn.
And I don´t care if people speak perfect Swedish or not. The important thing is the
person behind the language and what he/she has to say.
+
*Örjan Malmstedt*
post 13.Oct.2005, 02:39 PM
Post #15

Sonia!!!!!

You got my message. OK I have been travelling a bit but not that much. Think I got my
unswedish behaviour from my father who was a real original biggrin.gif
+

30 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se