• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Buying a used car in Sweden

Is it customary to negotiate?

profxtrader
post 27.Jul.2010, 02:27 PM
Post #1

I have just moved to Sweden and I want to purchase a used car because I will be here for a few years. I know how inflated the prices are, and it is what it is. What I'd like to know is is it customary to negotiate the price of a used car here in Sweden like it is in the US? I'm looking for a car in the 350000 SEK to 420000 SEK range. What I'm asking is if the car is 400000 SEK and I tell them that I'll pay cash today, would it be likely to get it for 350000 SEK or even cheaper? I"m aiming for about 20% less. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Go to the top of the page
+
Gordy
post 27.Jul.2010, 02:58 PM
Post #2

You will definitely be able to get a discount, but the amount of which will of course depend on how inflated the dealer's price is to start with.

Doubtful if you will get 20% off but you can but try.

Looking at new car prices, we bought a VW Polo in April, the car was in stock at the dealers and we got a 10% discount on a straight cash deal. I rang all of the VW dealers in the south of Sweden who had a car in stock and this was the best deal to be had.

Now considering buying a big Combi (Skoda Superb 140 Tdi Ambition) but because of strong demand there are none available in stock in any dealer in Sweden in the model and spec I want so it will have to be ordered in with a 16 - 20 week wait time. Did the same thing again ringing around a number of dealers near me and the best deal was 7.8% off the list price including the few extras. Haven't ordered yet as I really need to get something sooner so might get a cheaper second hand off blocket instead.
+
DaveN
post 27.Jul.2010, 02:59 PM
Post #3

I don't know if it's usual or not, but I always try it. Usually, he will sit there stony faced, say a few å's and oi's, suck in a bit of air, look at the computor, rummage through the desk, in fact anything to avoid having to make some sort of decision.

He will usually do the same when asked about a possible delivery date - finally saying he'll call you when ready, but with no definate date for when that call will actually come. Because you do know that many mobile phones here don't make outgoing calls, don't you?
+
Puffin
post 27.Jul.2010, 06:57 PM
Post #4

Always worth a try - with new cars as well biggrin.gif
+
gplusa
post 27.Jul.2010, 08:06 PM
Post #5

We got 10% off the dealer price for cash with the last car we purchased. Every dealer that we spoke with prior to purchasing was prepared to move the list price by about the same amount.
+
Furu
post 27.Jul.2010, 08:41 PM
Post #6

Used car in 400,000kr range.

Are you planning on buying a M6.
+
Neilkevin
post 26.Nov.2010, 07:07 AM
Post #7

Hi Gordy, same case here. We are moving to Stockholm from California for a year and so. Need to buy a used car for that duration. Assuming that procedures are same as US what other things to look for while buying a used car?
+
Puffin
post 26.Nov.2010, 09:45 AM
Post #8

Good winter tyres - illegal to drive betwen december 1 and march 31 without them
+
vaniah
post 26.Nov.2010, 02:11 PM
Post #9

I had a swedish friend who wanted to sell his car. First he thought about what a fair price for the car would be then offered it online for that price. He got lots of calls from people who kept trying to negotiate with him on the price so he took it off the website, increased the price by 20% and put it up again. The next day he got a call from someone who came by, took a test drive and offered him the amount that he put the car for sale at. So he ended up selling his car for 20% more than he thought it was worth blink.gif

Moral of the story, do your research and decide what you think is a fair price for the car that you want and then try to get it at that price. Then everyone is happy.
+
Kemi
post 26.Nov.2010, 11:34 PM
Post #10

We tried to bargain with a dealer using the paying cash argument and he was very firm about not being able to give us a discount. He even said that if you pay with cash, we will of course make more money, but I still can't lower the price for you. Which sounds like total nonsense.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 27.Nov.2010, 12:39 AM
Post #11

Dealers make more money if you finance the deal with them, if you know cars/or not you are better off buying from a private person.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se