• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

UK Driving Licence renewal...

How do I do this from Sweden? Embassy or?....

bravedave
post 3.Aug.2010, 09:34 PM
Post #1

10 years have passed since I passed my test, time flys and all that. I feel old. Anyway, does anyone here know if it is possible to renew my expired UK drivers licence here in Sweden ie the British Embassy?

Please tell me I don't have to post it to the DVLA, that would take months before I got it back again.
Go to the top of the page
+
Mzungu
post 3.Aug.2010, 09:54 PM
Post #2

Sorry, your out of luck!

*just follow the instructions*

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Drive...ence/DG_4022084

PS. Mind you if you are a permanent resident in Swedish,it would probably be less painful to exchange it for a Swedish DL!

http://www.korkortsportalen.se/upload/doku...al/engelska.pdf
+
bravedave
post 3.Aug.2010, 10:23 PM
Post #3

Ive been here nearly 5 years but currently have no permit to stay or residence permit.
+
William Sachsen-Coburg-Go...
post 4.Aug.2010, 12:05 AM
Post #4

I believe that when your license comes up for renewal you have to renew it in the member state in which you reside.
+
BillyB
post 4.Aug.2010, 12:35 AM
Post #5

Good old google...

Renewing your driving licence:

Applying at a participating Post Office® branch
You may use this service to renew the photo on your driving licence. You can also notify the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) of a change of address at the same time.
You will need:
the photo renewal form D798 ((D798 Your renewal form – The DVLA will post this to you around 56 days before expiry along with a renewal letter)
both the photocard and counterpart of your licence if you have them
fee of £20.00
There will be a fee of £4.50 in addition to the renewal fee for using the Post Office® service.
The Post Office® will capture your photo, signature and details from your application form and will electronically and securely send it to DVLA to issue a new licence. Your driving licence should arrive within three weeks. It might take longer if DVLA have to check your medical or personal details.
Applying by post
You’ll need to:
complete the photo renewal form D798 (D798 Your renewal form – The DVLA will post this to you around 56 days before expiry along with a renewal letter)
include a new passport type photo of yourself that’s been taken within the last month - you don’t need the back of the photo signed
return both the photocard and counterpart of your licence - if you have lost one or both parts you can still use this application but will need to tick the relevant box in part one
enclose a cheque or postal order for £20.00 - no fee is needed if you have a medical short period licence or you’re aged 70 or over
send your application and fee to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1DH

the ease and simplicity of this would seem to hinge on if the address DVLA have for you and sent the forms too is where you actually are or not...
+
bravedave
post 4.Aug.2010, 01:51 AM
Post #6

Yep, the forms arrived to my parents house in England, where the DVLA and other organisations believe I am still resident.

Should I tell them about my change of address, ive been here nearly 5 years and havent mentioned it before to them.
+
post 4.Aug.2010, 01:56 AM
Post #7

If you tell them that you have move to Sweden they will not renew it for you. You used to have to exchange you licence within a few months when you moved to another EU state. Now you don't, you can keep your one from your own country until it expires. When it expires, you have to change it for one in the country where you live.

QUOTE (EU Rules)
Renewing licences

You can only have a driving licence issued by the authorities in the country where you live.

They will convert your original licence into a licence from that country. You will then be subject to the same rules on validity periods, medical checks, and so on as nationals of that country.

http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/ve...resident_en.htm
+
Grahamsmjöl
post 4.Aug.2010, 07:39 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (bravedave @ 3.Aug.2010, 11:23 PM) *
Ive been here nearly 5 years but currently have no permit to stay or residence permit.

Why would you need a permit to stay or residence permit? You are an EU national so you can just live here. Besides, even if you did need one it would have been 3 years to qualify as a European.

I moved here in 2000 and exchanged my licence in 2001 because of a job.
+
Puffin
post 4.Aug.2010, 07:44 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Grahamsmjöl @ 4.Aug.2010, 08:39 AM) *
Why would you need a permit to stay or residence permit? You are an EU national so you can just live here. Besides, even if you did need one it would have been 3 years to qual ... (show full quote)

You don't need a permit - but under EU rules everybody who resides for more than 3 months is required to register their residence with Migrationsverket which gives you a 5 year EU residence card (not 3 years) - after 5 years can register a permanent right of residence
http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/eumedborgare_en.html
+
Taxalien
post 4.Aug.2010, 10:56 AM
Post #10

For a resident in Sweden who has never had a driving license here there is one compelling reason why you should not exchange your driving license here.

Speed cameras cannot fine you.

The reason for that is that it is the driver who is responsible for speeding fines in Sweden, not the owner of the vehicle.

If you get snapped, they will check the driving license of the owner first, then of all other members of the family resident at the same address.

If they draw a blank they can't do much more, as far as I understand things to be.

I have never tried it myself, but I fit the category above.

TA
+
LEW
post 4.Aug.2010, 11:00 AM
Post #11

Why would you need to renew? UK driving licences are normally issued until your 70th birthday.
+
post 4.Aug.2010, 11:09 AM
Post #12

Not since July 1998 they're not. You have to renew the photocard part of them every 10 years. You need to get with times tongue.gif
+
LEW
post 4.Aug.2010, 11:14 AM
Post #13

Ok now I'm confused .. (Doesn't take much I know smile.gif )

I read that link from above which talks about general renewal and applying for first photo licence.
My current photo licence says valid until I'm 70.

mmm yet another thing for me to worry about smile.gif
+
post 4.Aug.2010, 11:18 AM
Post #14

If you have an old style paper license then you do not need to renew it until you are 70. You can choose to exchange it for a new style photocard license if you wish but you don't have to. If you do exchange it, you will then have to renew it every 10 years.
+
Sexton
post 5.Aug.2010, 07:38 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (LEW @ 4.Aug.2010, 12:14 PM) *
Ok now I'm confused .. (Doesn't take much I know )I read that link from above which talks about general renewal and applying for first photo licence.My current photo ... (show full quote)

Lew look at the front of your photo license item 4b what's the date there?
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options