• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Buying Nokian Tyres

V vs Hakka V what's the difference?

Gordy
post 12.Aug.2010, 08:47 PM
Post #1

I'm in the market for some new tyres and based on tyre test reports I figure that the Nokian V is an excellent summer tyre in a 205/65 16 size which I require. I've had Nokian winter tyres in the past and was very happy with them.

I priced them at a local tyre retailer today and they quoted me 2200 SEK each balanced and fitted! blink.gif

The same tyres on dackonline.com are 777 SEK each delivered (from Germany) and then balancing and fitting is another 150 SEK at a local approved fitting station.

Now the kicker is that the local (dearer) retailer says that their tyre is a Nokian Hakka V and is far superior to the Nokian V which dackonline supply. (They would say that wouldn't they!)

I've tried searching online to compare the product codes for the two tyres without success.

As far as I can see the "Hakka" designation only refers to an insurance based scheme run in the Scandinavian countries whereby they will replace the tyre free of charge if it gets damaged in the first year of ownership.

Is there anybody on here in the tyre trade or knowledgeable about these things who can confirm or deny that the Nokian Hakka V and Nokian V are in fact the same tyres?
Go to the top of the page
+
Furu
post 12.Aug.2010, 10:00 PM
Post #2

You mean 205/60 16 !

I could not find tire store at http://dackonline.com

Instead I tried http://dackonline.se/ but they do not have your tire size.

Exactly the same tire Hakka V and Nokian V. One is a Scandinavian branded product for local market.

Nokian Global http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=1036079...p;name=Nokian+V

Nokian Sweden http://www.nokiantyres.se/dack?id=10360789...=Nokian+Hakka+V
+
Gordy
post 13.Aug.2010, 06:24 AM
Post #3

Thanks Furu!

lol Too much wine last night! It should of course been dackonline.se and not .com

And the tyre size is in fact 205/55 16 which is the standard fit on my Passat.

I had found the two pages you posted from the Nokian website and I'm fairly sure they are the same tyre, the thread pattern is certainly the same but I just want to be sure that there is no differance in the compounds for the different markets, that's why I am trying to find the two product codes, I can find the one for the Nokian V but not the Hakka V.

As you say it looks like the Hakka V is just a branding excercise for the Scandinavian market with the added puncture insurance.

I will bang off a mail to Nokian in Finland later and see if they reply, thanks again.
+
Gordy
post 13.Aug.2010, 12:45 PM
Post #4

Fair play to Nokian Technical service department, I got a prompt reply from them:

"The Hakka V is designed to Scandinavian use and there we use different compounding in order to get better grip on cool temperatures.

There`s also slight different breaker package under the tread in Hakka V."

Given that the tyres are for summer use only and I'm down on the very south coast and always drive on tarred roads not gravel I doubt that the difference in compound is of much significance to me, in fact the harder compound German market tyres will probably wear better.

Hmm, decisions, decisions.
+
Furu
post 13.Aug.2010, 02:15 PM
Post #5

You said "delivered from Germany". Is Dackonline a German company.

I found the tire for 777kr. It appears they are on sale due to end of the season as they cannot sell it next year because year of manufacturing stamp is on the tire.
+
Gordy
post 13.Aug.2010, 03:09 PM
Post #6

Yes the parent company is called Delticom and they are the biggest wholesalers and retailers of tyres in Europe, they have online stores in every country all serviced from a logistics centre in Germany. The bricks and mortar retailers hate them because with their buying power they can often sell tyres retail for less than what the small retailers can buy them wholesale.

I've dealt with them before through their Irish website eiretyres.com.
+
Furu
post 13.Aug.2010, 08:11 PM
Post #7

I think 777kr for a 16" Nokian tyre is inexpensive.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply