• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »    Reply to this topic

Question About Cheddar Cheese?

What is The U.S. Equivalent?

sandiec
post 26.Aug.2010, 08:56 AM
Post #16

How right you are Rick! I miss Oude Amsterdam, it is the only thing I really do miss about The Netherlands. Please let me know when the next International Market is - I will definitely turn up for that!!
Go to the top of the page
+
Rick Methven
post 26.Aug.2010, 10:22 AM
Post #17

QUOTE (sandiec @ 26.Aug.2010, 09:56 AM) *
How right you are Rick! I miss Oude Amsterdam, it is the only thing I really do miss about The Netherlands. Please let me know when the next International Market is - I wi ... (show full quote)

The third and last for this year was last weekend. There will not be another until the spring angry.gif

You can check out when on www.corren.se

Mind you it is not cheap at 280kr/kilo
+
byke
post 26.Aug.2010, 10:32 AM
Post #18

QUOTE (rabbemos @ 26.Aug.2010, 09:39 AM) *
ROFL. Yes, they would declare war but they do not have enough white cloth to equip every soldier with a flag to wave.

Similar to the old French saying "Put one hand up if you are proud, and put the other hand up if you are French"
+
William Sachsen-Coburg-Go...
post 26.Aug.2010, 01:04 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Engelsmannen @ 25.Aug.2010, 11:55 PM) *
There is no such thing as US Cheddar cheese. Cheddar cheese comes from Cheddar, in England. What you've been eating is some approximation of a Cheddar produced in the Stat ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 26.Aug.2010, 04:11 AM) *
It is just a pity that the use of the name Cheddar has not been protected. You now have Cheddar cheese from every country and 99% of the stuff that is sold as cheddar bears ab ... (show full quote)

At the risk of sounding really, really sad, I will correct you both on your understanding. Cheddar isn't, strictly speaking, a type of cheese. It's a process used in the making of some cheeses.

So there is Cheddar cheese, which is any cheese made in Cheddar, and there is cheddar cheese which is any cheese using the cheddaring process.
+
JulieLou40
post 26.Aug.2010, 01:45 PM
Post #20

William, you are quite clearly, wrong.

I give you the following link as proof, where you can see that Cheddar cheese is indeed a type of cheese which originated in...Cheddar, England.

(Which is what those of us with brains have been saying all day on this post).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheddar_cheese
+
Vetinari
post 26.Aug.2010, 02:08 PM
Post #21

I always thought it was the manufacturing process (length of maturity, type of ingredients/spices, etc. that determined what kind of cheese it was. You learn something new everyday.
+
post 26.Aug.2010, 02:08 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (JulieLou40 @ 26.Aug.2010, 12:45 PM) *
William, you are quite clearly, wrong.I give you the following link as proof, where you can see that Cheddar cheese is indeed a type of cheese which originated in...Cheddar, E ... (show full quote)

No I'm not, and there's no need to be rude.
+
JulieLou40
post 26.Aug.2010, 02:12 PM
Post #23

Obviously William, you are the kind of person that thinks you are always right, and the rest of the world (including Wikipedia etc) are always wrong.

A bigger man would admit he was wrong. laugh.gif
+
post 26.Aug.2010, 02:16 PM
Post #24

Deleted as life's too short.
+
byke
post 26.Aug.2010, 02:38 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 26.Aug.2010, 09:03 AM) *
The French have been the best at protecting regional trademarks - Cognac and Champagne. If anybody tried to use those names for some foreign produce, France would declare war.

I wonder if France would have any sort of legality over champagne since it was the British that invented it.

It is clearly documented that the British imported allot of french wines at that time due the global cooling felt at this time after the romans had left, and it was the British who started taking cheap french plonk and giving it a second fermentation and then bottling it. In fact The French didnt even have the technology at this time to make a hardend glass (as in bottles) to achieve this second fermentation.
+
Vetinari
post 26.Aug.2010, 03:57 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (byke @ 26.Aug.2010, 01:38 PM) *
I wonder if France would have any sort of legality over champagne since it was the British that invented it.It is clearly documented that the British imported allot of french ... (show full quote)

France have the rights to the name, not the product. It can only be called Champagne if it is produced in Champagne, FRA. Make an identical product somewhere else and you have to call it something else.

A lot of EU troubles have come from these things.
+
Puffin
post 26.Aug.2010, 04:00 PM
Post #27

...Rember the battle over Danish Feta
+
Vetinari
post 26.Aug.2010, 04:04 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (Puffin @ 26.Aug.2010, 03:00 PM) *
...Rember the battle over Danish Feta

Or that Marabou Mjolkchoklad is only allowed to call itself chocolate becasue of the strong association Swedes have with the brand...
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 26.Aug.2010, 04:33 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (Vetinari @ 26.Aug.2010, 04:04 PM) *
Or that Marabou Mjolkchoklad is only allowed to call itself chocolate becasue of the strong association Swedes have with the brand...

Eh, no. Marabou Mjölkchocklad has always satisfied the EU rules on milk chocolate. It was Blockchoklad that had to change its name since the cocoa contents was to small to call it chocolate.
+
Vetinari
post 26.Aug.2010, 04:39 PM
Post #30

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 26.Aug.2010, 03:33 PM) *
Eh, no. Marabou Mjölkchocklad has always satisfied the EU rules on milk chocolate. It was Blockchoklad that had to change its name since the cocoa contents was to small to call it chocolate.

Oh ok, my bad. I was told it was Mjolkchoklad.
+

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists
Click here for the full job description