• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    Reply to this topic

Question About Cheddar Cheese?

What is The U.S. Equivalent?

Craptastical
post 26.Aug.2010, 04:47 PM
Post #31

If you ask me this whole controversy is just cheesy.

And that was a cheesy joke.

/me bored
Go to the top of the page
+
SeldomSeenKid
post 26.Aug.2010, 05:16 PM
Post #32

If you want real cheddar, it's best to go with any West Country Farmhouse Cheddar, which has been granted a PDO - the same status as what things like Parma Ham have. So while you can make a cheese anywhere in the world and call it cheddar, if it's West Country Farmhouse it's from where it should be from. Keen's Cheddar is a mighty fine cheese, but I'm yet to find it here. You can find out more about the good cheeses and even order online at the link below.

http://www.farmhousecheesemakers.com/pdo-our-provenance/
+
William Sachsen-Coburg-Go...
post 26.Aug.2010, 05:30 PM
Post #33

Or if you're feeling flush, splash out on the original, made in Cheddar, cheddar.

http://www.cheddargorgecheeseco.co.uk/acat...ddar-gorge.html
+
byke
post 26.Aug.2010, 05:31 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (Vetinari @ 26.Aug.2010, 04:57 PM) *
France have the rights to the name, not the product. It can only be called Champagne if it is produced in Champagne, FRA. Make an identical product somewhere else and you have ... (show full quote)

Thats what I was getting at ... since its purely an ingredient and not the complete recipe since it was created elsewhere I wonder if the French law regarding champagne TM for a recipe that is clearly not theirs would hold up?
Should the French even be allowed to ferment such wine in this british way, using british techniques considering that the manufacturing of champagne was originally created in the UK and then copied by the french.
+
mjennin2
post 26.Aug.2010, 05:33 PM
Post #35

If you're willing to pay an arm and a leg, if memory serves, Maytag Dairy Farms (in Iowa) ships cheese overseas. I think the problem you'd run into, however, is how expediently the goods can be delivered to your home in Sweden after being unloaded from the refigerated cargo section of the transport plane.

But we ain't talking 'bout yo' mamma's generic cheddar here...Maytag is the real deal. They age the cheese in honest-to-God underground caves. So it's probably worth it.
+
Rick Methven
post 26.Aug.2010, 05:44 PM
Post #36

mamma's generic cheddar here...Maytag is the real deal

As we have been saying it is a cheddar TYPE cheese unless it comes from the West Country it can NEVER be 'the real deal' Is is Cheddar type cheese produced in IOWA
+
rfmann
post 26.Aug.2010, 06:07 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (JulieLou40 @ 26.Aug.2010, 05:12 AM) *
A bigger man would admit he was wrong. laugh.gif

Did you read the page you linked to? It seems to support what William said...
+
mjennin2
post 26.Aug.2010, 06:10 PM
Post #38

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 26.Aug.2010, 04:44 PM) *
As we have been saying it is a cheddar TYPE cheese unless it comes from the West Country it can NEVER be 'the real deal' Is is Cheddar type cheese produced in IOWA

Oh Christ, I was not partaking of your guys' Cheddar identity crisis meleé. By "real deal" I mean "freaking delicious and worth paying an arm and a leg to have it shipped all the way from the sticks in Iowa to the sticks in Scandanavia".

FWIW, someone above said that in the US, the term "Cheddar" is used as an adjective, and is relative only to US palettes. For instance, Tillamook Cheddar Cheese is produced in Tillamook, Oregon. It is a(n American) cheddar cheese produced in a local region, not a local replica of a cheese produced in Cheddar, England.

You people need to compare apples to oranges here. OP was asking for the Euro-equivalent of an American cheese, regardless of what the descriptive name it goes by means, or where it orginates from, or blah blah blah blah blah CHEESECAKE.
+
William Sachsen-Coburg-Go...
post 26.Aug.2010, 06:33 PM
Post #39

Speaking of cheese, I found some, made in England, stilton in our local cheese factory shop. They had it out as one of those sample products. The locals were all mmmmming over it and putting it in their baskets. I was well chuffed as I've really missed a good stilton. This wasn't a good stilton.

I sampled a huge piece and then, in a completely autistic way and therefore not my fault, promptly spat it out and said to the wife, a little bit too loudly in my home counties English, "that's fcuking disgusting, no wonder they're selling it abroad, nobody in England would eat that shlte". Needless to say, I was in the dog house.
+
JulieLou40
post 26.Aug.2010, 07:09 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (William Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha @ 26.Aug.2010, 12:04 PM) *
At the risk of sounding really, really sad, I will correct you both on your understanding. Cheddar isn't, strictly speaking, a type of cheese. It's a process used in ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (rfmann @ 26.Aug.2010, 05:07 PM) *
Did you read the page you linked to? It seems to support what William said...

Yes I obviously did read it.

And it did not support what he said. He said Cheddar is not a type of cheese.

The page said quite clearly, that it is.
+
countrysidedrive
post 26.Aug.2010, 07:12 PM
Post #41

I am not familiar with why we in the US call anything something. I only know that the cheese I grew up on is called Cheddar Cheese and it comes in mild, mediem and strong. For you Americans who know the flavor is there a cheese with the same flavor? And if so what is it called? Or where is it available? I saw some good helpful answers so thanks.
The US Cheddar cheese is the only cheese I miss. Otherwise European cheese including European Cheddar cheese is so very very good. Same with your breads. The US is seriously lagging on these two products. When I am in the US I am missing dozens of cheeses and breads not just one cheese or zero breads like when I am in Europe.
+
Craptastical
post 26.Aug.2010, 07:27 PM
Post #42

Something just occurred to me... If you're in Stockholm then you may have some luck if you go to Östermalms Saluhall. I was only in there briefly but if you'll find it on a regular day it will be there (as opposed to the cheese convention, that's kind of disturbing now that I think about it).
+
CTIDinÅrsta
post 26.Aug.2010, 07:37 PM
Post #43

Hötorgetshallen and NK also have good selections of cheeses.

Plus keep an eye out for English weeks at Lidl. They do a surprisingly good "English Cheddar" at a very reasonable price. It freezes well, too, so you can stock up. It's not always available though.
+
rabbemos
post 26.Aug.2010, 07:39 PM
Post #44

40+ posts over a Question Pertaining to Cheese.

The locals are definitely loco.
+
Rick Methven
post 26.Aug.2010, 07:49 PM
Post #45

QUOTE (rabbemos @ 26.Aug.2010, 08:39 PM) *
40+ posts over a Question Pertaining to Cheese. . The locals are definitely loco.

yup must be a slow news day biggrin.gif
+

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN