• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

CV format in Sweden

any advice on a good format?

Puffin
post 29.Sep.2010, 01:37 PM
Post #1

Need to write a new CV on max 2 pages of a format used in Sweden for a job application

Does anyone have any links to a good CV format
- some of the ones I see online are full of wishy washy *career goals and aims* - do you needs these?
- do you really need a photo?
- what level of details? Do you mentions skills and tasks from previous jobs or just job titles - given that I have been working since 1983 I need to reduce detail
- to include personal details - or not?
Go to the top of the page
+
Eddymu
post 29.Sep.2010, 01:56 PM
Post #2

Hi Puffin,

I'm sending you a PM with a link to my CV as an example.

I used to work for Poolia and got quite a few tips from their consultants on how a Swedish CV should look.

Picture isn't necessary but is very Swedish to include one (that said, I didn't).

Also, my CV is in English but sure you can make your Swedish which is obviously better.

Hope it helps, good luck!
+
SarahRF
post 29.Sep.2010, 02:42 PM
Post #3

I was told by a Swedish HR friend a while back to
1. Keep it as simple as possible, no fancy layouts or fonts.
2. Only include information about previous jobs that is relevant to the job you're applying for. If you're applying to be a baker, don't include your dagis experience.

As to goals and aims, all I put in mine was "with this job I want to broaden my horizons, and make the every day grind of everyday life more enjoyable for the people I serve, through a smile, a promptly delivered meal or just a friendly hello." or something like that. That seemed good enough, as I got the job.

A photo is not necessary, but a lot of people seem to like a face to put to the name, so it can't hurt.

This info might be obvious, but it was news to me, so I'm passing it on in the hopes it helps you smile.gif.
+
Essingen
post 29.Sep.2010, 04:53 PM
Post #4

Well you and I are about the same age (I started work in 79). I have recently done mine in a format that I think is good. In answer to your specific points...

- some of the ones I see online are full of wishy washy *career goals and aims* - do you needs these?

I wouldn't have thought so. I certainly haven't put it in.

- do you really need a photo?

No, but I incorporated a fairly small black and white one ( taken a few years ago rolleyes.gif )

- what level of details? Do you mentions skills and tasks from previous jobs or just job titles - given that I have been working since 1983 I need to reduce detail

I did skills and tasks from recent jobs but only listed job titles from early jobs.

- to include personal details - or not?

Yes, I think so.
+
Rick Methven
post 29.Sep.2010, 05:46 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (SarahRF @ 29.Sep.2010, 03:42 PM) *
2. Only include information about previous jobs that is relevant to the job you're applying for. If you're applying to be a baker, don't include your dagis experience.

But never leave out other employment, so that it seems you have spent long periods of time without work.

I once nearly discounted an application from a guy who only put in what he considered to be 'relevant' jobs. I looked like he had been unemployed for long periods.

I let my gut feel take over and called him for an interview and found that the missing periods of work where spent in a number of jobs and travelling that gave him a good experience outside the narrow field of the job. 30+ years later that same guy is head of a multi-national.
+
Purple_Rache
post 1.Oct.2010, 05:19 PM
Post #6

I had written my own CV with help from the swede, but for Manpower, this was not good enough. They told me to redo it with the help of a template, downloadable for Word (despite mine being almost identical to one of their templates). The website is here: cvmallar.se

Hope that helps! smile.gif
+
pathor
post 2.Oct.2010, 06:29 PM
Post #7

If you are applying to be a waiter and you only have IT experience then you should put in nothing ? ohmy.gif

Of course what I do with computers has nothing to do with plates smile.gif .

I hate it here .
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply