• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Will America become like Sweden?

Just for fun

deaninsweden
post 15.Nov.2010, 11:40 AM
Post #1

http://www.pastan.nu/bloggen/inlagg/do-we-...nto-sweden.1608

Just a funny video a friend sent to me. I wonder how many believed this to be true...
Go to the top of the page
+
litespeed
post 15.Nov.2010, 09:56 PM
Post #2

DO I BELIEVE IT?

I believe we Americans have larger living spaces then much of the world, and am not clear on why this is the case. Certainly it is not required. Both me and my rich buddy prefer smaller places. For instance, I lived on a houseboat for three years with about 300 square feet and was content.

He lived in about a 1000 square foot sububan DC house his entire adult life [no basement]. Upon retirement he moved to Eugene Oregon and could not find a smallish house in a nice neighborhood.

He asked me what to do, since no land was available to build a house. I just told him to spend the $450,000 and live with it. The house is now valued at about $1,000,000 and he amuses himself with $40,000 roof jobs, and $20,000 for energy efficient windows.

This idiocy goes further. We are both car guys and his wife is constantly wrecking her car. Two wrecks ago I suggested he buy her a simple 2005 Malibu ($18,000). Then I wrecked my CTS [upside down and backwards over a 15 ft cliff] and bought a used 2005 Malibu.

We both agree the 2005 Malibu is probably the best basic sedan ever built. He drove it on cross-the-continent drives instead of his Lexus two seater. Then the wife totaled the Malibu and he got her a Prius. He was then reduced to his Lexus 430 and went shopping in a Chevy dealer.

He called and asked me if he should trade the Lexus for a Corvette. I said yes, since he never much liked the Lexus. He loves the Corvette and it gets fuel economy about equal to my own Malibu 3.5. He still says he would buy a 2005 Malibu instead, if they were still in production. Seriously.

So all this chit chat about money becomes redundant in societies where just about anyone can get a decent roof, and even the poor people have enough food to get fat.
+
Opalnera
post 16.Nov.2010, 11:24 AM
Post #3

As always, it's funny because it's true smile.gif I just loved how Robyn had all her recycling piled up like that, kind of looks like my recycling!
+
byke
post 16.Nov.2010, 11:43 AM
Post #4

The use of such terms as the "Swedish Model" is a scary concept as it relies on peoples insecurities, and foces a state of rule regardless of the direction they may be taken.
+
Norrlands Turk
post 16.Nov.2010, 11:47 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (deaninsweden @ 15.Nov.2010, 10:40 AM) *
http://www.pastan.nu/bloggen/inlagg/do-we-...nto-sweden.1608. Just a funny video a friend sent to me. I wonder how many believed this to be true...

Yep, I can't believe they showed Baconnaise as the most revolutionary American invention ever while we have Snuggies!

Other than that, just not very funny facts.
+
DianneKotkin
post 16.Nov.2010, 11:51 AM
Post #6

Interesting Video. I think its true.
+
susanoyad
post 19.Nov.2010, 05:01 PM
Post #7

May be in future it will become true tongue.gif
+
flobalob
post 20.Nov.2010, 08:20 AM
Post #8

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash...2_1065158_n.jpg

How come I can't post pics on this forum ?
+
Streja
post 20.Nov.2010, 01:41 PM
Post #9

litespeed, I think you will find that Swedish houses are not that small.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 20.Nov.2010, 02:01 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Streja @ 20.Nov.2010, 01:41 PM) *
litespeed, I think you will find that Swedish houses are not that small.

On average each Swede has 44.5 square meters to live on, the third highest in Europe. http://www.sydsvenskan.se/ekonomi/article6...der-i-topp.html

I read somewhere that it is about 70 sqm per person in the US.
+
Streja
post 20.Nov.2010, 02:54 PM
Post #11

I see.

smile.gif

Still, I don't think we are that trångbodda.
+
rackers31neil
post 20.Nov.2010, 03:13 PM
Post #12

Interesting video.

http://www.purnail.com
+
Brtahan
post 20.Nov.2010, 03:56 PM
Post #13

All the Americans i know who are in Sweden are against capitalism!!! just 1 percent of Americans own 80 percent of your country and they even rule you all. Run after the carrot american citizen, you might 1 day live the american dream of becoming rich? thats means never ... capitalism is why we have economic crisis plus where all the money went? the rich are becoming richer n middle class ppl who are the majority who vote!!! are becoming poor. Sharing is caring after all
+
healthymeals
post 20.Nov.2010, 06:35 PM
Post #14

We can't compare Sweden with USA. Both have different style of living and the style of business is altogether different. Yes, the per capita income of Sweden is much more as compared to USA. But USA controls the economy of the world. If USA sneeze the whole world catches flu.
+
Tennessee Thunder
post 20.Nov.2010, 06:42 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Brtahan @ 20.Nov.2010, 04:56 PM) *
All the Americans i know who are in Sweden are against capitalism!!! just 1 percent of Americans own 80 percent of your country and they even rule you all. Run aft ... (show full quote)

Well,you,ve never met me,,LOL...
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se