• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Depression and Life

And no I don't mean the suicidal rates for Sweden

JLondon
post 16.Dec.2010, 06:49 PM
Post #1

There have been many different threads during the year(s).
Alot of the time Sweden and the other Scandinavian countries are top of the tables for
quality of life, education, and many other things.

A delicate subject I feel. Depression.
People suffer from depression all over the world, but I wondered how many people on this forum
who live/lived in Sweden suffer from depression regardless of the severety.
Go to the top of the page
+
Streja
post 16.Dec.2010, 06:57 PM
Post #2

I'd say 99% or so.
+
ITkiwi
post 16.Dec.2010, 06:58 PM
Post #3

Never
+
sneal
post 16.Dec.2010, 07:07 PM
Post #4

Well I certainly have and probably will in the future as well, that is if it even went away to begin with, lol. ;o)

I imagine a lot of immigrants have bouts with depression when moving their entire life to another country, whether they are familiar with the country or whether it is unknown to them. It just takes time to adjust and you have to remain as positive as possible, well at least this is what I keep preaching to myself, lol.
+
BERTRAM
post 16.Dec.2010, 07:17 PM
Post #5

A lot of a Swedish are like Oysters... hidden in their shell but so good to eat...
Make a baby and take a bra hund, it helps a lot,,,
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 16.Dec.2010, 09:13 PM
Post #6

I certainly suffer from periods of depression. I suspect most people do, given all the stress, unpleasantness, surprises, disasters, etc. that constantly go on in the world.

The best evidence of it is that even profitable moments occur, they don't last long, as it takes so little bad news to get back in the old rut.

The only temporary abatement of the process is just to keep plugging on, especially going out, and taking advantages of scenes, walks, going out for meals, culture junkets, new challenges, etc. They are a fair better palliative than any kind of drugs.

And, of course, the worst time here is around Xmas and New Year's when it is most important to take a most positive, active stance about the lack of light, and the plentitude of snow. A walk in the woods these days can always perk me up.
+
malmomalmomalmo
post 17.Dec.2010, 12:54 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Trowbridge H. Ford @ 16.Dec.2010, 09:13 PM) *
I certainly suffer from periods of depression. I suspect most people do, given all the stress, unpleasantness, surprises, disasters, etc. that constantly go on in the world.T ... (show full quote)

sad.gif
+
red.king
post 17.Dec.2010, 07:21 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (JLondon @ 16.Dec.2010, 06:49 PM) *
There have been many different threads during the year(s). Alot of the time Sweden and the other Scandinavian countries are top of the tables for quality of life, education, a ... (show full quote)

No idea to be honest, but if you are referring specifically to expats who have moved here then I'd hazard a guess and say that most at some stage have had feelings ranging from 'down in the dumps' to 'I want to jump off a bridge'. It goes with the territory of moving to a new country, language and also the stress of finding work etc...
Thankfully I have never felt suicidal, but by God, there was one stage that I felt BAD!!! It lasted about a week and I was both physically and mentally in tatters. I had another bout of it a year later that lasted a few days as well. I quickly realised that I suffer from S.A.D (living in the dark North). Nothing so far this year but I have spent quite a bit of time travelling this winter to warmer climates. Also, reckon that I am little more conditioned to it now.

//Red
+
Swedesmith
post 18.Dec.2010, 05:00 AM
Post #9

Anyone who lives in a northern climate can't help but get a little depressed this time of year. Case in point: way too early this morning the alarm rang and I had to drag my sorry arse out of a nice warm bed and climb into a freezing cold car and drive in over ice covered roads to work while it was still dark...then labor all day for my measly pay check which just never seems to cover all the bills...then get back in my frigid car and drive back home...again in the dark. Day in, day out...what a fecking rut.

Then I stop and think...I've got a job (many don't), I have a home and a car and food in my belly and clothes on my back and a family that depends upon me. How many people in this world would love to trade places with me? I once read that if you make $20,000 USD per year (135500 SEK) you are among the top 10 percent of the worlds wealthiest people.

Feeling depressed seems kinda ungrateful at that point.
+
cogito
post 18.Dec.2010, 10:39 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (red.king @ 17.Dec.2010, 07:21 AM) *
It goes with the territory of moving to a new country, language and also the stress of finding work etc...

Red, I think it depends on which new country. I did not experience any depression when I moved to my first new country, France. Quite the reverse: every day was a joy. Nor did I feel it in Spain. The move to Sweden, on the other hand, was exactly as you describe. And you are right in thinking (some) depression is a result of Seasonal Affective Disorder. ("It's not the cold; it's the dark.")

To the OP: Depression and Sweden go together like fish and chips. Almost everybody I know (except me) is on anti-depression meds--both Swedes and expats, and they all tell me that these meds help, especially the newer SSRIs.
+
BillyB
post 18.Dec.2010, 02:57 PM
Post #11

Lets be honest here...its a Saturday and we are all passing time on this mind numbing discussion forum...surely that says it all?

Those who say they are not depressed are in denial.

And yes, i am depressed...mostly because my flight to UK was cancelled today so i have to wait till Monday now...
+
Rick Methven
post 18.Dec.2010, 03:07 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (BillyB @ 18.Dec.2010, 02:57 PM) *
Lets be honest here...its a Saturday and we are all passing time on this mind numbing discussion forum...surely that says it all?Those who say they are not depressed are in de ... (show full quote)

Do what I am doing then

Listen to Top of the Pops from 1990 on BBC radio 2. That will blow away the blues
+
byke
post 18.Dec.2010, 03:16 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 18.Dec.2010, 03:07 PM) *
Do what I am doing then. Listen to Top of the Pops from 1990 on BBC radio 2. That will blow away the blues

yes because they mostly play "pop" wink.gif
+
Rick Methven
post 18.Dec.2010, 03:22 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (byke @ 18.Dec.2010, 03:16 PM) *
yes because they mostly play "pop" wink.gif

It was better before 3pm when it was 1974 - that was my era flares and all laugh.gif
+
byke
post 18.Dec.2010, 03:37 PM
Post #15

wink.gif

Attached Image

+

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options