• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

A fair hourly pay for a dish washer

What do you think?

jasson
post 26.Mar.2011, 02:21 PM
Post #1

Hello localers! I am a kenyan guy still quite new in sweden and I have a Q? what, according to you, is a fair hourly pay for "DISKAREN" ?? I have just secured myself a summer job as a dish washer in a fairly classy restaurant in stockholm from end of april to 30th august, but am wondering whether 100SEK/HR BEFORE tax is a good or fair enough pay for a beginner? I have only been here for around 4 months and this is my first job, so I am not quite familiar with salary trends in Sweden and that's why am asking. thanks for your kind responses in advance smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
DamnImmigrant
post 26.Mar.2011, 02:40 PM
Post #2

Hopefully someone will know a web site that shows wage trends in Sweden.

IMHO, 100 kronor per hour gives about 17,333 per month. I would say for a dishwasher this sounds about right. I am not sure but I think police and fire make even less for starting wages.

I have seen truck drivers starting at about 18,000 per month.

Remember that the first job is very important - though it says summer work, it may lead to more permanent work.
+
swozzie
post 26.Mar.2011, 02:49 PM
Post #3

There are language teachers on this forum who say they only get about 100 an hour and that doesn't include the unpaid time for lesson planning and preparation..

You are getting well paid compared to them.
+
jasson
post 26.Mar.2011, 02:58 PM
Post #4

I feel lucky after those two responses. I guess i should start counting blessings then and strategizing on how to give my best at the new job so as to possibly get a permanent position in the near future. They also told me i will be getting a share of the total daily tips collected.Thanks alot for your replies. I appreciate!
+
Nemesis
post 26.Mar.2011, 03:13 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (jasson @ 26.Mar.2011, 02:21 PM) *
Hello localers! I am a kenyan guy still quite new in sweden and I have a Q? what, according to you, is a fair hourly pay for "DISKAREN" ?? I have just secured my ... (show full quote)

Going rate is usually between 80 and 105 krona an hour for a dishwasher.
+
scandinavian leather
post 26.Mar.2011, 05:51 PM
Post #6

In my first couple years here the rate was 100sek/hr (before taxes), a share of tips and the best part was the free food. Doing it led to a full time job.
+
kaze
post 26.Mar.2011, 06:07 PM
Post #7

100 kr is very good, perfectly livable. Here i clicked on this thread expecting one of the usuall doom and gloom stories of someone being paid 40 an hour or somesuch.
+
LOCALisLEKKER
post 26.Mar.2011, 06:25 PM
Post #8

I would say that is not a bad starting wage. I worked extra as a dish washer last year and I was paid 105.60kr per hour, including holiday pay. That amount was before tax.
+
flobalob
post 26.Mar.2011, 07:19 PM
Post #9

Utensil hygene technician is the correct term to use nowadays.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 26.Mar.2011, 07:30 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (DamnImmigrant @ 26.Mar.2011, 03:40 PM) *
IMHO, 100 kronor per hour gives about 17,333 per month. I would say for a dishwasher this sounds about right. I am not sure but I think police and fire make even less for starting wages.

If you are going to compare with other professions you have to count on normal working hours, i.e. 160 hours/month or 16000 kr/month before tax. Police and firemen start on around 20000 kr/month in base salary but since they work odd hours they get extra pay depending on the hours.
+
DamnImmigrant
post 15.Apr.2011, 09:06 AM
Post #11

@Bender B Rodriquez - "...Police and firemen start on around 20000 kr/month in base salary..."

Wow that is a lot better that I FIRST heard they were making. Glad to hear it.

Now if anyone know a site that lists average wages per job title, that would be appreciated.
+
nickachu
post 15.Apr.2011, 09:35 AM
Post #12

I get around 100Per hour and then an extra 20 with OB1 (after 8pm) and then another 20 OB2 (after 1am) on top of that. From what I've seen 100 per hour is around the standard wage for most customer service menial jobs. Good work on getting one!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com