• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Poor American looking to move to Stockholm

Do I even have a chance?

JamiesonKnowlton
post 10.Apr.2011, 01:37 AM
Post #1

I am a 19 year old American, and I'm broke. I go to a community college, and I guess I'm doing alright with it, but I want some adventure in my life. So, I've decided to move to Stockholm, and live with the natives. I speak absolutely no Swedish at all, and have very little job experience. I know for a certain that finding employment will be very difficult, and acquiring citizenship will be next to impossible. My real question, though, is what advice does anyone on here have for me? Any tips on what I should do? Any inspiring stories of success? I guess I could apply to some University when I get over there, but I do not know whether I will be greeted coldly or with open arms. I would kindly appreciate any type of information which would lead to a more comfortable stay. Thank you very much for your time in reading my post.
Go to the top of the page
+
NataBee
post 10.Apr.2011, 01:59 AM
Post #2

Living in Sweden especially in Stockholm would probably make you... broke even more rolleyes.gif . Now I'm not saying there's no chance, and yes, if you're willing to work hard then there's a chance of success, but I'm just saying that it's super hard in Sweden. Not speaking Swedish is a huge problem. Maybe you can try SFI programs since they have benefits for new immigrants.
Good luck.
+
Marmi
post 10.Apr.2011, 02:17 AM
Post #3

And how exactly are you planning on moving to Sweden? You need a visa, and you would need to have a job offer for a work based visa, or a girl-/boyfriend for a relationship based visa. You could also apply for a student visa (for studying at a Swedish Uni), but since you're broke, that seems to be out of the question.

So, I would say that your chances are looking pretty bleak. Just being honest! smile.gif
+
JamiesonKnowlton
post 10.Apr.2011, 02:19 AM
Post #4

Thank you for your response. I will attempt to teach myself Swedish within the next coming months, and I will be successful. I will work my way through school there, and become successful.
+
Swedesmith
post 10.Apr.2011, 03:48 AM
Post #5

I admire your spirit,son. And I'm not going to tell you not to come to Sweden, 'cause yu probably wouldn't listen anyhow. Truthfully, if you really want something bad enough, you usually can achieve it...but, just so you know, it will be hard. Very hard.
+
swozzie
post 10.Apr.2011, 04:24 AM
Post #6

Why Sweden ?
+
swozzie
post 10.Apr.2011, 04:53 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (NataBee @ 10.Apr.2011, 01:59 AM) *
Maybe you can try SFI programs since they have benefits for new immigrants.. Good luck.

And on what grounds would this broke American be granted uppehållstillstånd i.e.immigrant status in Sweden do you think? blink.gif
+
Marmi
post 10.Apr.2011, 05:09 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (JamiesonKnowlton @ 10.Apr.2011, 03:19 AM) *
Thank you for your response. I will attempt to teach myself Swedish within the next coming months, and I will be successful. I will work my way through school there, and become successful.

Hm... Starting to smell troll here, or maybe it's just immaturity. Oh, well... Good luck!! rolleyes.gif
+
johnjohn
post 10.Apr.2011, 05:34 AM
Post #9

It is Sunday, trolls free day. I came to Sweden as a poor American. I am doing well. Still American, still poor but happy. Going to school seems your best option,
+
JulieLou40
post 10.Apr.2011, 07:43 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Marmi @ 10.Apr.2011, 04:09 AM) *
Hm... Starting to smell troll here, or maybe it's just immaturity. Oh, well... Good luck!! rolleyes.gif

Marmi, I thought the same the minute I started reading it. Don't give him the time of day, people.

Attached Image

+
Puffin
post 10.Apr.2011, 10:07 AM
Post #11

Young and poor - why do you think that Sweden would want you?

Naive or a troll??

On the off chance that this is a genuine enquiry - Do NOT even THINK of moving to Sweden without doing your homework - especially as you don't even seem to realise that you cannot just move here - you need a VISA or PERMIT

QUOTE (JamiesonKnowlton @ 10.Apr.2011, 02:37 AM) *
So, I've decided to move to Stockholm, and live with the natives.

Sorry but the natives will not just let you show up

So you realise that you have to apply for a visa at the Swedish Embassy before you leave the US -you cannot just turn up or you'll be deported at immigration

You need to be able to support yourself in order to move here- Sweden WILL NOT pay your living costs

You will need either a
- job offer -that pays at least 13,000 kronor/month - this is the minimum level for an employment visa
- a university offer as an international or exchange student - you will then need a minimum of 75,000 kr per year to pay living costs plus whatever tuition fees the college charges

Or if you are married/living with a Swedish resident you may be able to get a visa

I speak absolutely no Swedish at all, and have very little job experience. I know for a certain that finding employment will be very difficult,

Virtually impossible if you cannot speak the language why would a Swedish employer want to employ you when they could get a Swedish 19 year old who speaks native Swedish, very good English and also either French/German or Spanish to a good standard????

and acquiring citizenship will be next to impossible.

Do you mean citizenship or residence??

First you would need residence by working and paying taxes for 5 years before you could become a citizen

My real question, though, is what advice does anyone on here have for me? Any tips on what I should do? Any inspiring stories of success? I guess I could apply to some University

You could apply for a student visa - and apply for University but you would need to apply from the US and would have enough money to pay fees and living costs - free university is only available to those who have paid taxes here for several years

I don't quite get why you have jut chosen Sweden? What do you know about Sweden and the Swedish way of life???

THIS JUST SOUNDS LIKE A BIG FANTASY TBH - IF YOU ARE SERIOUS IT WILL TAKE SEVERAL YEARS OF PLANNING
+
Puffin
post 10.Apr.2011, 10:16 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (JamiesonKnowlton @ 10.Apr.2011, 03:19 AM) *

For most people it takes 1½-3 years to become resonable fluent in Swedish - and that is if you can speak it every day and depends on how good you are at learning languages

You cannot really work your way through school here
-you need to show immigration that you have 7500kr for each study month or 75000 for each year as a condition of getting a student permit - plus non Swedish/EU citizens now have to pay tuition fees

You need to learn a littlemore about Sweden -it is not like the US where you can just pick up a job at McDonalds - here there is a long waiting list of people who would love to work at McDonalds - usually they pick the guys on long term unemployment as then the government pays part of their salary
+
texaslass
post 10.Apr.2011, 11:58 AM
Post #13

What Puffin writes is true. I am an American who studies in Sweden, and the job market is very different from the US. In the US one can find a job such as a cashier or in retail very easily, but that is not the case here. As well, you will need a visa to stay here longer than 90 days.

Why not vacation here for 90 days and see if you like it? If you do not have the cash to do that, then why not look into Latin America? Admittedly, you will need to know Spanish to get by, but Spanish is easily learned in the States. Since Swedish is virtually nonexistent in the US, you are going to have a difficult time finding inexpensive ways in which to learn it. Bonus for Latin America: low taxes, sunshine and lots of fresh fruit!
+
Swedesmith
post 10.Apr.2011, 12:51 PM
Post #14

and the women have pretty brown skin!
+
Boyfriend
post 10.Apr.2011, 02:49 PM
Post #15

I do not advise you to come if you do not have any connection in Sweden. Sweden is very expensive countries compared to USA when it comes to foods and clothes and everything. You would get depression if you come without any support from your family relatives and Stockholm Kommun is busy kommun they dont really help a lot compared to small cities kommun. Also girls at your age 19 are very broke coz they earn like 200USD a month and it is very hard for your future gf to support you as well.
+

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options