• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Swedish PhD eligible for immigration?

Student immigration

amu1984
post 22.Apr.2011, 08:31 PM
Post #1

I am PhD student. I was wondering if a PhD student can apply for Swedish immigration.
Go to the top of the page
+
Solith
post 22.Apr.2011, 09:13 PM
Post #2

If you're a student here from abroad you MUST register with immigration, otherwise you will be deported.

Unless you are asking if by doing a PhD here you can live here for the rest of your life, in which case ask them as I have no idea about your circumstances.
+
amu1984
post 22.Apr.2011, 09:25 PM
Post #3

Exactly... i am asking whether i can apply for a swedish permanent resident permit. I did my master studies here in sweden and joined PhD since April 2010. Thanks for response.
+
jan.petras
post 22.Apr.2011, 10:14 PM
Post #4

Well mate as far as I know a PhD lasts 5 years. And you get paid. So it's a job.
My bet would be you have a really good chance staying in Sweden after the PhD.

I mean you as a foreign citizen have to renew your permit every year. There is no such form as a permanent residence permit for foreign international immigrants. Your case officer will decide WHEN you will receive a permanent residence permit, and that's not likely to happen sooner than 4-5 years. But it does happen because:

a) You are studying at the highest degree
cool.gif You can support yourself by having a job (PhD is paid as I understood)

You can also apply for citizenship AFTER you get a permanent residence permit.
+
Furu
post 22.Apr.2011, 11:33 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (amu1984 @ 22.Apr.2011, 10:25 PM) *
Exactly... i am asking whether i can apply for a swedish permanent resident permit. I did my master studies here in sweden and joined PhD since April 2010.

According to MSVT, PhD applicants are issued a RP for studies.

http://www.migrationsverket.se/download/18...d_104031_en.pdf
+
moji
post 22.Apr.2011, 11:37 PM
Post #6

Hi all:
at the moment, Migration Board does not consider PhD as a job and they provide PhDs with student permit which does not count toward PUT. But there exist struggles to show that the situation is unfair for foreign PhDs. For example, their WORK must be acknowledged like other workers in Sweden. Also to provide Sweden the possibility to use the skills that Swedes are paying for. For more info look at the following:

http://www.regeringen.se/content/1/c6/16/51/52/8ab268ca.pdf
http://www.dn.se/Pages/Article.aspx?id=623560__Article
http://www.dn.se/debatt/utlandska-doktoran...amtidens-ledare
+
Donato Tagliano
post 22.Apr.2011, 11:38 PM
Post #7

Student RP is not eligible for PUT/Permanent residence permit or citizenship. Even the time spent on PhD is not counted for citizenship if one has managed to get PUT for example securing a job after PhD.
+
jan.petras
post 23.Apr.2011, 01:38 PM
Post #8

I don't get it, why isn't PhD considered a job when:

a.) You're working.
b.) You're getting paid.
+
slut
post 23.Apr.2011, 01:43 PM
Post #9

Because, you are not working like an employee. You are only doing a research. Getting paid is like you are paid like a scholarship or like a grant. It is not a salary. It's a funding programme.
+
moji
post 23.Apr.2011, 02:18 PM
Post #10

@slut:
what you are saying is not completely right. Many PhDs have 100% employment, get real salary and pay taxes as university employee. Some others depend on scholarships as you have mentioned. Anyway, research and teaching are known to be work (i.e. what teachers and people in universities do).
+
jan.petras
post 23.Apr.2011, 03:44 PM
Post #11

@slut
You get paid for TEACHING. The salary in PhD comes from teaching in the university, as a teacher. As a university employee.

The research you do is for your own personal purpose (more or less). The research contributes to your doctoral thesis, which improves the human knowledge.

Here, I found this nice graph that I think fits well into the subject at hand.
http://matt.might.net/articles/phd-school-in-pictures/
+
moji
post 23.Apr.2011, 04:06 PM
Post #12

@jan.petras:
nice figures smile.gif you are right. Actually the work of a researcher is to understand something and let others know about it (let's say cutting the edge of human knowledge's boundry cool.gif ). The difference for PhDs is that through their struggle in the program they also learn how it is more efficient to dig the unknowns and how to present their results in a more acceptable fashion to the community. This provides them a certificate after all but doesn't ruin the value of their scientific endeavor and contributions.
+
moji
post 23.Apr.2011, 04:11 PM
Post #13

I must add that the salary comes from a 20% teaching (in its maximal state) and 80% research (i.e. minimal).
+
slut
post 23.Apr.2011, 05:21 PM
Post #14

Pretend to know your own facts. You yourself mention it is 80 % research. Then you filtered yourself out.

People with Student Residence permits can earn enough. Their partners can work. But,
for all that the duration of time doesn't count at all.

You need to change your category either into work permit or sambo permit. Otherwise no matter what kind of research you do and how much you earn and what you do is nothing in the eyes of Migrationsverket.
+
Puffin
post 23.Apr.2011, 05:44 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (slut @ 23.Apr.2011, 02:43 PM) *
Because, you are not working like an employee. You are only doing a research. Getting paid is like you are paid like a scholarship or like a grant. It is not a salary. It's a funding programme.

But having a full doktorand position is nothing like being on scholarship or grant as you are regarded as a full employee and pay taxes, make social insurance payments and work with research and teaching

There is very little difference between what a a PhD student does and what a PhD lecturer/researcher does
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se