• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Moving to Karlstad

New to Sweden

smurfatik
post 1.Jun.2011, 05:21 PM
Post #1

Hey. I am moving from the UK to Karlstad in August. Really excited about it but have a couple of logistical things you might be able to help me with.

First, what are my best options for getting from Stockholm to Karlstad? I understand there is a train service but where do I get it from (my flight lands in Stockholm) and is there a website where I can book the ticket?

Second, I train in taekwondo. Does anyone know of a good place for me to train in Karlstad and roughly what the costs are like?

Thirdly, my husband is coming too so am looking for his best options for finding work. He has a high school diploma from a US school and speaks/ writes fluent Spanish and English. He is not the kind of person to be worried about where he works, as long as he has something to do, and has experience working in kitchens, construction, and public transport.

Finally, anyone know what I can expect to pay (roughly) per month for rent of a small apartment? My new employer will help me find somewhere but I just want an idea for planning my budget.

Cheers
Go to the top of the page
+
bobalong
post 1.Jun.2011, 07:05 PM
Post #2

You can plan your trip on the SJ train website. I use the train/bus route to Skavsta airport which is outside Stockholm from Karlstad all the time and they have always been ok.

The sooner you book your tickets the cheaper they are.
+
bobalong
post 1.Jun.2011, 07:06 PM
Post #3

BTW- where are you moving from in the Uk?

Have you booked your flight yet? If not, have a look at the Ryanair flights to Skavsta or Sandefjord Torp in Norway. It will be cheaper than travelling to Arlanda.
+
sendia
post 1.Jun.2011, 07:12 PM
Post #4

Do you land in Stockholm skavsta or arlanda?

If you land in Arlanda there is a train station in the airport.
www.sj.se to buy tickets

Apartmenr will probably it will cost 4000 kr a month
check http://www.kbab.se/web/start.aspx
+
Plowbridge
post 1.Jun.2011, 07:29 PM
Post #5

Karlstad, I went there once. It was closed.
+
sendia
post 1.Jun.2011, 08:02 PM
Post #6

Even if you land in skavsta it is possible to buy tickets from the same website but you will travel by bus for atleast one leg of the journey.
+
smurfatik
post 4.Jun.2011, 07:26 PM
Post #7

Thanks for the help. I am flying Manchester to Arlanda. Flights were not too badly priced given that I shall be flying in August.
+
Puffin
post 5.Jun.2011, 07:54 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (bobalong @ 1.Jun.2011, 08:06 PM) *
Have you booked your flight yet? If not, have a look at the Ryanair flights Sandefjord Torp in Norway. It will be cheaper than travelling to Arlanda.

How do you get from Sandefjord Torp to Karlstad by public transport?? Won't the combinations of boats, trains and busses end up costing 10 times more than flying into Arlanda???
+
Lingonberry
post 6.Jun.2011, 12:10 PM
Post #9

Karstad is very nice just now - nice walks by the water and everyone sitting outside to eat in the sunshine in tree lined streets. It's about 3 hours by train from Stockholm. As others have said you can buy tickets online at SJ.se and you can also buy your Arlanda Express tickets or Flygbussarna tickets online. The bus terminal is right next to the station in Stockholm. If you do have to buy your train ticket at the station, try the SJ machine which has an English option, as the queue in the ticket office is often quite long and I think they charge you a bit more. I have recently had problems using my credit card with SJ online - I think it is their fault as it used to work. You can save a lot of money booking in advance. If you plan to go back to Manchester now and then, do you know that Easyjet fly to Gothenburg which is also about 3 hours by train from Karlstad. Gothenburg Airport is quite small so access is easier and you can get to the station easily by flygbussarna. I hope you are coming to a well paid job as you will find Sweden much more expensive than Manchester, but there is lots of space, clean air and lots of lovely things to experience here.
+
Puffin
post 6.Jun.2011, 12:52 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Lingonberry @ 6.Jun.2011, 01:10 PM) *
Karstad is very nice just now - nice walks by the water and everyone sitting outside to eat in the sunshine in tree lined streets.

Good to see you online again Lingonberry - I thought of you and your flat in Karlstad when I saw this thread yesterday

Is it all going OK for you?
+
LarsaruS
post 6.Jun.2011, 05:42 PM
Post #11

Hi,

Just wondering whether it is ITF or WTF TKD you train.
Samurang is a really good WTF TKD club.
http://www3.idrottonline.se/default.aspx?id=176984
http://translate.google.se/translate?u=htt...sv&ie=UTF-8 is their site google-translated into English.

I'm not sure if there is an ITF club in Karlstad. I searched here:
http://www.taekwondo.a.se/foreningar/foren...mp;submit=S%F6k
but got no results...

Anyway... Hope this helps.
+
JulieLou40
post 6.Jun.2011, 07:19 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Puffin @ 5.Jun.2011, 07:54 PM) *
How do you get from Sandefjord Torp to Karlstad by public transport?? Won't the combinations of boats, trains and busses end up costing 10 times more than flying into Arlanda???

Yeah, that's exactly what I was just about to say before I saw your post, puffin.
+
Lingonberry
post 6.Jun.2011, 07:32 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Puffin @ 6.Jun.2011, 12:52 PM) *
Good to see you online again Lingonberry - I thought of you and your flat in Karlstad when I saw this thread yesterday. Is it all going OK for you?

Hej Puffin
Thanks for asking. I've been having a very interesting time exploring Varmland, experiencing all the seasons and observing all the Swedish customs - I've been watching the folk dancing and listening to bands and choirs today. I went to Helsinki and Tallinn on the ferry recently and tomorrow I'm off to experience the midnattsol. I'm afraid my Swedish hasn't got much better - I can read and write and speak some, but I am not making much progress understanding speech. I wonder if the OP knows any Swedish.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options