• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Pet Travel to Sweden from UK

Anybody done this?

Speed_Swede
post 12.Jun.2011, 07:47 PM
Post #1

I am looking into bringing my cat over from the UK to Sweden in July but finding it extremely difficult finding an airline that will do it.

Has anybody done this before? If so who did you fly with? I will be coming from Manchester to Gothenburg.

thanks in advance
Chris
Go to the top of the page
+
fogelfeifer
post 12.Jun.2011, 09:00 PM
Post #2

Flew dog from LHR to Gothenburg with SAS no problems...City Airline fly Manchester-Gothenburg and are partner airline to SAS/Star Alliance so presumably same facilities available?
+
puddled-duck
post 12.Jun.2011, 09:46 PM
Post #3

Hi Chris,

We have been looking into moving to Sweden from the UK with our cats next year. I think that with most airlines you need to go through an agent of sorts as they won't deal directly with the general public.

I had a quote from PetAir UK (office tel: 01725 551124: Jackie@petairuk.com). It is quite expensive to move a pet abroad as they need to travel in a special crate and have all their relevant jabs and checks and things but PetAir were comparable to other companies in price and made me feel confident that they will look after our pets! It is worth giving PetAir a call or dropping them an email though as even if they don't cover your area (we will be travelling from Heathrow) I am sure they would tell you how to go about moving your cat. The airline we will be travelling with are SAS.

I hope that helps, good luck with the move!
+
Marmi
post 12.Jun.2011, 10:13 PM
Post #4

Contact cargo for the airlines you're considering flying with. Pets are considered cargo, unless they're small enough to fly in the cabin in a crate that fits under the seat.

Keep in mind that many airlines don't fly pets (in cargo) during the summer months, cause it gets too hot when the planes are on the tarmac. smile.gif
+
William Sachsen-Coburg-Go...
post 12.Jun.2011, 10:25 PM
Post #5

All animals have to go cargo from the UK. Defra rules do not permit them in the cabin at all.

We used SAS Cargo Heathrow to Goteborg when we moved many moons ago. Nowadays we drive and use the Harwich/Esjberg ferry, which now takes pets. HALLELUJAH!
+
DaveN
post 13.Jun.2011, 08:37 AM
Post #6

You can contact SAS cargo direct, no problem. They also fly all year as the pet cargo area is held at the same temp as the cabin.

You can also take a pet with you in the cabin with City Airlines for a nominal cost, as long as it is small. I flew with City from Birmingham/GBG a few months back with puppy.

You know that the rules on rabies tests etc are changing 1st Jan 2012? If you travel overland all you will need for the UK and Sweden is a rabies jab at 12 weeks old earliest, then just a wait of 3 weeks before entry. No test, no 4 months before test for Sweden, and no 6 month wait to get back to England.
+
Mib
post 13.Jun.2011, 11:29 AM
Post #7

Hi DaveN...does that mean the pet passport will no longer be needed?
+
Drea
post 13.Jun.2011, 12:08 PM
Post #8

Hi,

We are in the process of bringing our pet over. We could only find SAS and then only on a weekday before midday. Pet must go in the hold. So be prepared for your eyes to water when they tell you the price. For a teeny tiny ferret we have to pay £250-300 (on day of departure) for a one-way flight. Obviously it depends on the size of the container. Then 1300 SKr when we arrive. The information I had was that animals were only allowed into arlanda. But as other people have flown into GBG, then this may be allowed. A pet passport, rabies shot, micro-chipping has to be sorted. Then the animal needs to be checked by a vet 24-hours prior to the flight (worming check I believe).

If I have anything wrong, I'd love to be corrected as we are flying with said weasel in a few weeks and NOTHING can go wrong.

Good luck smile.gif
+
byke
post 13.Jun.2011, 12:13 PM
Post #9

Just out of interest, how much is your plane ticket on top of that?
+
Drea
post 13.Jun.2011, 02:18 PM
Post #10

£97 each. So yes, our little ferret who is completely oblivious to where he lives is costing alot more than us to get into sweden! I've had all the suggestions as to what we could do to him rather than bring him (e.g., getting him stuffed!), but he is adorable. So with gritted teeth and soon-to-be-empty pockets we'll bring him.
+
byke
post 13.Jun.2011, 03:37 PM
Post #11

isnt the boat or driving cheaper?
+
DaveN
post 13.Jun.2011, 03:46 PM
Post #12

The pet passport is still needed, as well as the microchip. It just needs to show the rabies jab and chip number. Not sure what's happening with the worming though.

Here's a link http://www.jordbruksverket.se/swedishboard...1780004572.html
+
Drea
post 13.Jun.2011, 07:21 PM
Post #13

To go by car: 1372 miles' worth of petrol + ferry crossing + hotel stay = at least 3 days of travelling

Plus the cost of hiring / buying a car. It is not possible as foot passenger as a vehicle is neccessary for the animal. have checked it all.
+
Speed_Swede
post 13.Jun.2011, 07:52 PM
Post #14

thanks for all the info, much appreciated. It looks like SAS seem to be the one to go with if flying from Manchester to Gothenburg.

I will book the relevant tests to be done over the next week or so...and the microchip of course. I'm planning to travel on the 27th July that give me plenty of time to get things sorted.

Thanks for all your help, hopefully my cat can join me over here smile.gif

Chris
+
Susannah21
post 14.Jun.2011, 10:27 AM
Post #15

Hi ,
I bought my dog over in January and the only airline to do this ( she needed to travel in the hold) was KLM and although a stop over in Amsterdam it was well worth it ! No trauma and they were brilliant !
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se