• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

CV in .doc or .docx format?

CV format

Cage
post 16.Jun.2011, 08:49 AM
Post #1

Hello,

Which format do you all recommend one use when submitting a CV to various employment sites online (monster, poolia, etc.) ? I have been using Microsoft word .docx, but Im wondering if it is smarter to just use .doc, which is the older format. Does it matter at all ?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 16.Jun.2011, 08:53 AM
Post #2

I would recomend PDF for ultimate compatability.
+
Rick Methven
post 16.Jun.2011, 09:05 AM
Post #3

As most business users of MS office still use Office 2003 ( 85%), .doc is better to use as they would need the docx converter to read it. and if you use some of the specific docx features, you may loose some formatting.

As byke says PDF is best as it is universal and is accepted by all systems as an attachment, whereas some email systems will block .doc/docx files
+
andyron2
post 16.Jun.2011, 09:11 AM
Post #4

Hi
I think its better you have your CV in pdf format.I was adviced this by a swedish professional many years back.
try to convert it online for free.
http://www.pdfonline.com/convert-pdf/

Good luck!!!
+
Plowbridge
post 16.Jun.2011, 09:15 AM
Post #5

For Mac users, wishing to convert a document to pdf is simple. Choose print document and it will give an option to save to pdf.
+
foxpur
post 16.Jun.2011, 09:16 AM
Post #6

pdf is 1st, some wont take pdf because of their policies or online reader... in which case generally .doc.

I have had my CV refused in pdf format, I have never had a .doc refused

I have only come across one that preferred .docx
+
rtharper
post 16.Jun.2011, 11:13 AM
Post #7

Disturbing to hear some people require a CV in .doc. My CV is beautifully typeset in TeX, and I shudder at the thought of having to redo it in Word (which I don't even own...)
+
kaze
post 16.Jun.2011, 11:35 AM
Post #8

Never heard of having a cv in pdf before.

Definitely not docx though, as said very few people can read that, doc all the way
+
foxpur
post 16.Jun.2011, 12:07 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (rtharper @ 16.Jun.2011, 12:13 PM) *
Disturbing to hear some people require a CV in .doc. My CV is beautifully typeset in TeX, and I shudder at the thought of having to redo it in Word (which I don't even own...)

On a more disturbing note, a friend of mine in the USA wrote his company review in TeX and they fired him for not sticking is company .doc standards. He had been working there 15 years.
+
jazz13
post 16.Jun.2011, 01:32 PM
Post #10

is cv in english acceptable for any kind of work something like restaurant,bar or indutrial work?
+
Mib
post 16.Jun.2011, 01:55 PM
Post #11

Don't know about the particuar industries you refer to, but I personally would make the effort to have your CV in Swedish. If you have little or no Swedish skills, ask a friend, colleague to help you create one in Swedish. My thinking is that you as an employer will receive numerous applications and if it takes longer to go through your CV as English is their 2nd language, I suspect your CV is more likely to be filed in the rubbish bin. So, like any good salesperson, take away as many negatives/reasons to say NO to you. The hardest part is to get your face in front of the employer where it's easier to impress them with your personality and then of course, you have to speak English.
+
rfmann
post 17.Jun.2011, 01:05 AM
Post #12

Use an open format that can be read on any platform, and that does not run the risk of transmitting code. Avoid DOC, DOCX or any other proprietary stuff. PDF is a good choice for formatted text.

It does not hurt to have a plaintext ASCII version at hand for inclusion in emails, and pasting into online forms.
+
rfmann
post 17.Jun.2011, 01:10 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (Mib @ 16.Jun.2011, 04:55 AM) *
Don't know about the particuar industries you refer to, but I personally would make the effort to have your CV in Swedish. If you have little or no Swedish skills, ask a f ... (show full quote)

On the flipside, depending on where you are applying to, your CV might also reach the desk of someone who doesn't speak Swedish very well. Academia, and many high-tech companies have technical staff that doesn't speak Swedish well, and that might be involved in a hiring decision.

I would go by the job description --- if it says that Swedish is a requirement, then it is likely that everybody looking at your CV will speak Swedish, and then send a Swedish CV. If you have reason to believe that English is the operating language, then send in an English CV.
+
TheOneWhoTravels
post 17.Jun.2011, 02:24 AM
Post #14

I agree with the PDF is best.

But if they don't accept PDF, use .doc NOT .docx !

Lots of people still don't have the compatibility to use .docx

It's not their fault, it a is a MicroSoft planned obsolescence stratgey to leverage people to buy new software all the time.

Eschew the MicroSoft thug planned obsolescence strategy! Use .doc format for now and forever! cool.gif
+
axiom
post 17.Jun.2011, 11:12 AM
Post #15

PDF is def the best option, then perhaps rtf, doc or docx I would agree should be a last resort, some email systems might even delete or block these files if they have any macros or activex embedded in them,
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se