• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Where to buy rubbing alcohol?

Just wondering where to buy in Sweden

lalala
post 19.Jun.2011, 10:21 PM
Post #1

Hi,
Where can one buy rubbing alcohol in Sweden? I am NOT talking about drinking alcohol, but 90% isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) or ethyl alcohol (ethanol)... what the English-speaking world refers to as rubbing alcohol.
I have not seen it at Apoteket or in the "pharmacy" section of grocery stores. If it can be found here, what is it called in Swedish?
Thanks.
Go to the top of the page
+
soultraveler3
post 19.Jun.2011, 10:40 PM
Post #2

I'm pretty sure they have that or at least something very similar at the apotek. We have two different kinds in our medicine cabinet atm.
+
Stickeroo
post 20.Jun.2011, 01:59 AM
Post #3

I haven't seen it anywhere either. I think it might be a controlled substance here in Sweden. I brought my own Iso from Canada last time I went.
+
shannona
post 20.Jun.2011, 06:21 AM
Post #4

Nope, they don't have it here. I brought some back from the US. They have a couple of equivilents, but not as strong as rubbing alcohol.
+
Guests
post 20.Jun.2011, 08:03 AM
Post #5

I'm a bit surprised that there are others who look for it too. smile.gif I had my parents bring me some when they visited last year. I have not noticed it in any big supermarkets or drugstores here either.

But maybe there is a chance in stores which sell imported items.
+
byke
post 20.Jun.2011, 08:09 AM
Post #6

If it's not sold its most probably a prohibited item.
Sweden has a large list of items that are banned usually under the guise of environmental or health related reasons.
+
Stickeroo
post 20.Jun.2011, 01:21 PM
Post #7

God forbid people would drink that instead of going to Systemet. Probably would be WAY cheaper...aaahhhh reminds me of the natives back home :'(
+
lalala
post 20.Jun.2011, 01:21 PM
Post #8

Seriously? Banned? This kind of repeated small annoyance is going to make me quit Sweden!

But thanks for your replied everyone, I'll check an apoteket again just in case.

+
Stickeroo
post 20.Jun.2011, 01:28 PM
Post #9

Your best bet is actually not the pharmacy, but a place like Hornbach or Bauhaus instead. They carry lots of solvents, including Acetone and different thinners. So they might carry Iso or Ethyl there. Pharmacy doesn't carry it, that much I know for sure.
+
Rick Methven
post 20.Jun.2011, 01:39 PM
Post #10

You can buy it in the apotek like surgical spirit in the UK. as for alkol. It usually has something added that will make you puke if you drink it
+
Mzungu
post 20.Jun.2011, 01:51 PM
Post #11

Take a trip to an area close to Jönköping/ Småland, you can then purchase a dunk of HB at a reasonably price.

*will certainly suffice... oh! any left over one can then celebrate midsummer*
+
post 20.Jun.2011, 02:15 PM
Post #12

what do you need it for? it's probably easier to find something else to serve the purpose you're out after.
+
Tall swede
post 20.Jun.2011, 02:22 PM
Post #13

My first guess is "Alsolsprit". Not sure if that is strong enough. Contains Ethanol and some aluminium for some reason... (Aluminiumacetoartart in swedish, if you can call it that...)

http://www.apoteket.se/privatpersoner/rado...x?Varuid=100011
+
grugel
post 20.Jun.2011, 03:34 PM
Post #14

Alsolsprit is probably not that good, it main purpose is to dry out wounds and puss. (hence the aluminium)
+
Tall swede
post 20.Jun.2011, 03:58 PM
Post #15

Well, it wasnt specified why he/she needed it, so i just guessed alsolsprit. I dont know what "rubbing alcohol" is either, so I wrote something that you get at the pharmacy, contains ethanol and that is commonly used.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com