• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Ask about a traffic rule in Sweden

Cars givie way to bike or right hand rule?

starkboll
post 1.Jul.2011, 09:26 AM
Post #1

I know I might be asking a stupid question but I am not sure how it is in Sweden.

In the situation described as in attached picture, should the white car wait for the cyclelist to pass first? Should cars always givie way to bike, or go first because of right hand rule here?

I am a new comer in Sweden and trying to get my driving license here smile.gif

Attached Image

Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 1.Jul.2011, 09:37 AM
Post #2

Bicycles are equal to cars on the road so in this case the bicyclist should yield to the car according to the right hand rule.
+
gplusa
post 1.Jul.2011, 09:38 AM
Post #3

The way it looks to me is that the car gives way to the bike, as the car is about to cross a dedicated cycle crossing. Had it been a normal pedestrian crossing, then the bike would give way to the car. Which is why a lot of people hop off their bikes and push them over pedestrian crossings, giving them pedestrian right of way.
+
starkboll
post 1.Jul.2011, 10:04 AM
Post #4

Thanks a lot Bender and gplusa for answering.

Now I have two different opinions and still don't know which one is correct. Could someone give more opinion on which argument is more appropriate? This is actually a exam question in the Swedish Driving license theory test but there is no answer to it...

thank!
+
Mpf
post 1.Jul.2011, 10:09 AM
Post #5

Well according to the news the other day cyclists are higher beings and shouldn't even have to stop for red lights. When they cycle on the pavements pedestrians are fair game for cyclists and when they cycle on the roads (not forgetting they don't have to sit a test or even know what the road signs mean and therefore don't know themselves if they have the right or way or not and therefore assume that they do by default) they have ultimate power over everything else in the universe.

Therefore I would say you would need to give way to the cyclist. Not because the signes and road markings say so but because they are higher beings (apparently).
+
Beef
post 1.Jul.2011, 10:13 AM
Post #6

What about the said cyclist coming up the inside, wanting to go straight on, when you want to turn right? I know what they do, but what should they do? Just in case one day I hit one, heaven forbid... ?
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 1.Jul.2011, 10:13 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (gplusa @ 1.Jul.2011, 10:38 AM) *
The way it looks to me is that the car gives way to the bike, as the car is about to cross a dedicated cycle crossing. Had it been a normal pedestrian crossing, then the bike ... (show full quote)

Bicyclists do not have right of way at bicycle crossings, see p12: http://www.google.se/url?sa=t&source=w...M02I4Hm96ncvQwA

Also, the crossing in the picture is not even a dedicated bicycle crossing; it is just a marked bicycle lane, no different than regular lane markings.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 1.Jul.2011, 10:19 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Beef @ 1.Jul.2011, 11:13 AM) *
What about the said cyclist coming up the inside, wanting to go straight on, when you want to turn right? I know what they do, but what should they do? Just in case one day I ... (show full quote)

It will most likely be your fault since it is your responsibility to check when turning right. In traffic schools they teach that you should get as close to the sidewalk as possible before a right turn to prevent bicyclists to sneak in.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 1.Jul.2011, 10:22 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (starkboll @ 1.Jul.2011, 11:04 AM) *
Thanks a lot Bender and gplusa for answering.Now I have two different opinions and still don't know which one is correct. Could someone give more opinion on which argument ... (show full quote)

The argument here is that the right hand rule applies. The test is multiple-choice so you don't need to motivate anything.
+
gplusa
post 1.Jul.2011, 10:29 AM
Post #10

Ok, I'll back up on my earlier post. If crossing in front of a vehicle, the cyclist gives way. Unless it's one of those raised kerb crossings (which I was thinking of). Which it doesn't look like. However, had the cyclist been crossing the intersection at the part that the car is turning on to (ie at 90 deg to where they are in your picture), then the turning car has to give way.
+
starkboll
post 1.Jul.2011, 10:50 AM
Post #11

Thanks a lot for so quick disscussion guys!!
I read the link Bender just posted. As I understand I agree with Bender, bicycles do not have rights when they go from a bicycle track to road (När du kommer in på en väg från
en cykelbana har du väjningsplikt.)

But my teacher at driving school told me to always give way to cyclist where there is no traffic signs.

I guess it should be the car driver has the right of going but at the same time need to be able to stop if the cyclist is already passing.

Thanks a lot, everyone!
+
Vstrommer71
post 1.Jul.2011, 10:55 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 1.Jul.2011, 09:19 AM) *
In traffic schools they teach that you should get as close to the sidewalk as possible before a right turn to prevent bicyclists to sneak in.

Interesting point here.Are cyclists entitled the right to drive this way,legally?I guess not, provided that there isn't any bicycle lane along.I too agree that sometimes cyclists behave like morals easily driving the opposite direction in narrow one way streets or by changing lanes without any kind of warning to other drivers(this is also a big blame for my fellow motorcyclists)
+
Mb 65
post 1.Jul.2011, 01:45 PM
Post #13

There is no such thing as right of way. if you have an accident never say that. I always give way to the cyclist it is better to do that than risk injuring or killing them.
+
sandiec
post 1.Jul.2011, 03:24 PM
Post #14

I always give way to bicycles - no matter what any road signs say.

In The Netherlands, the bike is king. Even if you are stationary in a car and a cyclist runs into you as far as the law is concerned in The Netherlands it is a car drivers fault. Having had that stuffed down my throat for 10 years, whilst residing in said country, it kind of became paranoid second nature!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists
Click here for the full job description