• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >   Reply to this topic

Knackers in Stockholm

Warning to Lock up and steer clear

Puffin
post 2.Feb.2012, 11:57 PM
Post #61

QUOTE (byke @ 2.Feb.2012, 10:19 AM) *
Interesting read, regarding travelers / gypsies and Sweden.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16844617

I remember some cases a few years ago during the building boom around 2006-2008 where some of these guys had to be taken into police care here as they were found destitute and with no food having not been paid - the police sounded quite sorry for the,but there was little that could be done as the work in Sweden was illegal and the gangmasters were long gone
Go to the top of the page
+
John.Smith
post 3.Feb.2012, 10:11 AM
Post #62

They have been making an appearance up North the past few Summers. Usual fare of calling house to house offering to redo driveways and kerbs etc..

There was a warning in our local paper last September about them and the scams they pull.Their reputation is known!
+
Nemesis
post 3.Feb.2012, 01:16 PM
Post #63

Would you have a link to that newspaper article, please.

I am trying to get into someone's head back in Ireland the damage those idiots are causing.
+
John.Smith
post 3.Feb.2012, 01:39 PM
Post #64

www.allehanda.se

I think you need to become a member on the site before you can search historical articles..
+
Nemesis
post 3.Feb.2012, 03:02 PM
Post #65

Nothing is showing up on a search of the site.

Would you have a headline so I can find which story?
+
BertieAhorn
post 6.Apr.2012, 05:14 PM
Post #66

I saw a load of them camped in Östersund this morning, Cork and British reg caravans, 4 x 4s, camper vans and ford transits.

Bit chilly still for holiday making, according to the local paper there has been a number of break ins in the area lately.

Didn´t think they would venture this far north.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Apr.2012, 11:51 PM
Post #67

QUOTE (Nemesis @ 3.Feb.2012, 02:16 PM) *
Would you have a link to that newspaper article, please.. I am trying to get into someone's head back in Ireland the damage those idiots are causing.

Wow! Times have changed!

My late Wife and her family had a lot of tales to tell about the "tinkers" and their misdeeds.

There were a few songs then (1960's) about them as well.

Farmers could not remove them from their property...and those that tried were sorry for their efforts.

Yes, things change and have to be relearned...too bad!
+
Richie35
post 8.Apr.2012, 04:18 PM
Post #68

My Grandfather or Farfar had a great saying in Ireland.

A knacker should get a kick in the arse everytime one passes by you because they are either coming from trouble or going to it.

My personal point of view is that if their English or Irish it doesn't matter, they are all scum and should be neutered at birth. They have no respect for anyone or anything. A big dog that barks and makes plenty of noise is a good deterrent.
Do not entertain them at your door, tell them to get off your property or you will shoot them.

We're allowed to do it here now smile.gif shoot them that is tongue.gif

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/irelan...4310196472.html
+
grahamkent
post 8.Apr.2012, 04:43 PM
Post #69

QUOTE (BertieAhorn @ 6.Apr.2012, 05:14 PM) *
I saw a load of them camped in Östersund this morning, Cork and British reg caravans, 4 x 4s, camper vans and ford transits. Bit chilly still for holiday making, according to ... (show full quote)

bastards were on my farm last year, 110k north of östersund, left quite quick though , let the dog rip and loosed the 12 gauge in the air, now they just think there is a nutter livivng on the farm!!!
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 8.Apr.2012, 07:27 PM
Post #70

It's amazing the respect you get, when people think you're crazy! mellow.gif
+
grahamkent
post 8.Apr.2012, 08:12 PM
Post #71

oh yes it is!!
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 9.Apr.2012, 01:19 AM
Post #72

Spread the word! cool.gif
+
BertieAhorn
post 9.Apr.2012, 07:07 AM
Post #73

I´ve been telling who I know, trying to explain just how these folk make a living and the lack of respect they have for others and laws and such.

I am not sure some of the Swedes understand just how bad Tinkers can be...but if they encounter them once then they will. Sweden must be like the land of milk and honey for them.

Does anyone have any idea how they get all the stuff they rob back past customs, or is it sold long before they reach borders?

And isn´t it the case the buyer can be charged in Sweden if it turns out he/she has bought stolen goods, can´t help the sales pitch of the travellers that one?
+
Gordy
post 13.Jan.2013, 10:24 AM
Post #74

Irish Traveller gang linked to audacious Norway art heist

AN Irish Traveller gang has been linked to an audacious art theft from a museum in Norway last weekend.

Two thieves broke into the Museum of Decorative Arts in Bergen early last Saturday morning and escaped with a valuable haul of Chinese artifacts.

The thieves were caught on security camera, wearing head-lights and using crowbars to smash the glass cases in which the treasures were displayed.

Norwegian police suspect the same gang of Irish Travellers who have already been linked by Europol to a string of robberies, money laundering, and counterfeit goods.

Gardai expect a formal request for Irish assistance from Norwegian police to follow, according to sources.

The gang is suspected of carrying out a string of robberies from small galleries and museums in provincial cities and towns across the UK and on the Continent. There have been robberies in Belgium, France and Germany.

Europol, the international police agency, issued a statement last year claiming that the gang operated as part of a criminal network that spanned America, Europe and China. The group, known as the Rathkeale Rovers, has been linked to the illegal trade in rhino horns which can fetch up to €200,000. They are believed to have stolen horns from a natural history museum in Brussels and from a collection in a small town in western France last year.

The Criminal Assets Bureau is investigating the finances of some of the principal gang members. However, many of them are resident abroad, beyond the reach of the bureau's asset-seizing powers.

The haul of artifacts stolen from the museum in Bergen included Chinese objets d'art in jade, porcelain, bronze and paper.

A director of the museum, quoted in a local newspaper, said that the thieves were professional, knew what they were after, and were most likely hired to carry out the theft to order. Some of the pieces are more than 4,000 years old.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europ...st-3350256.html
+
dgd
post 13.Jan.2013, 01:28 PM
Post #75

Unfortunately the Swedish police (and other non UK/Ireland Police Forces) are only just catching on to the various operations that are run by Irish Travellers. They tend to be regular visitors in summer time to a camp site near us, although we've not had any direct problems, others have some issues with various aspects of anti-social behaviour (dogs running wild, kids let unsupervised to defecate in the street/neighbours garden). A lot of them are running operations via, prima facie, legitimate Swedish/Norwegian firms with proper business cards/flyers and addresses in Sweden. I am aware of one such operation that is purportedly run from Falkoping.

Far worse are the Bulgarian/Romania berry pickers who are very poor (presumably trafficked/lured to Sweden on the promise of untold riches) and therefore spend most days and evenings looking through household and public waste bins. I think this problem may come to a head when Bulgaria and Romania get full EU membership in 12 months time. That said, it will be a much larger problem in the UK.
+

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com