• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Sweden 7th on 'world's happiness map'!

Zonob
post 28.Jul.2006, 10:25 AM
Post #1

The World Map of Happiness
Sweden has made the top 7 on a "world's map of happiness," which rates 178 countries ranging from Albania to Zimbabwe on their populations' overall sense of well-being.

Ranked 7th in the world, Sweden scored high on the map's three major measures of happiness - health, wealth and access to education, said one of its creators, Adrian White of the University of Leicester in England.

White, an analytic social psychologist who is working towards his PhD, believes the map is the first to illustrate levels of happiness and well-being on such a global scale.

No one was Denmark! Canada ranked 10th, Norway 19th, USA 23rd, UK 41 st !!!

I didn't know Swedes are happier than all of the above, excepting Danes.

Link: http://www.le.ac.uk/psychology/aw57/world/sample.html
Go to the top of the page
+
Garry Hudson
post 28.Jul.2006, 01:07 PM
Post #2

all the unhappy ones leave and move to london
+
Gustav- Fælbönnran
post 28.Jul.2006, 02:01 PM
Post #3

We are a tremendously happy people. We just don't like to show it around foreigners because we don't want to make them feel inadequate.
+
Elisia1
post 28.Jul.2006, 02:13 PM
Post #4

8) OoOoOoOo 8)
+
Webby
post 28.Jul.2006, 02:15 PM
Post #5

I believe the key to happiness is appreciation. And from my experience Swedes [and the rest of Scandinavia too] show more appreciation of their surroundings, fellow man and general way of life [with less focus on mere financial gain].

Those who's focus slides increasingly towards economic gain foresaking humanity and ecology find less and less to truly appreciate... hence the saying 'money can't buy happiness'.

Money is a only secondary reinforcer [e.g. a means and not an end], so focusing on it too much is detrimental to the appreciation of more primary providers of true happiness .

Therefore true happiness is circumstantial and current - and cannot be achieved my the mere possession of wealth... The material world is one which is easily habituated to. However, the natural one can be an infinite source of beauty and pleasure. smile.gif
+
Elisia1
post 28.Jul.2006, 02:19 PM
Post #6

smile.gif I can kiss you! smile.gif I totally agree. And you-alone are responsible for your happiness - it's not something one can give/do for another! smile.gif
+
Webby
post 28.Jul.2006, 03:15 PM
Post #7

Glad you agree. Only wish more people saw it that way. smile.gif
+
David Singer
post 28.Jul.2006, 07:13 PM
Post #8

I think its happy charming brits like me who come here who among others is cheering the miseries who are far from aware of their 'fellow man'. Swedes are just happier when we are around...aren't they? We refresh them with our presence. Isn't that something to be happy about?
+
Ezpen The Caveman
post 28.Jul.2006, 11:53 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Zonob)
The World Map of Happiness
Sweden has made the top 7 on a "world's map of happiness," which rates 178 countries ranging from Albania to Zimbabwe on their populations' overall sense of well-being.

Ranked 7th in the world, Sweden scored high on the map's three major measures of happiness - health, wealth and access to education, said one of its creators, Adrian White of the University of Leicester in England.

White, an analytic social psychologist who is working towards his PhD, believes the map is the first to illustrate levels of happiness and well-being on such a global scale.

No one was Denmark! Canada ranked 10th, Norway 19th, USA 23rd, UK 41 st !!!

I didn't know Swedes are happier than all of the above, excepting Danes.

Link: http://www.le.ac.uk/psychology/aw57/world/sample.html

he he... It's only statistc. I guess those who have made thsi statistic hasn't been in sweden the last decade... Many swedes are grumpy and they argue over small things.
I believe people in UK are far more happier than in sweden... :twisted:
+
David Singer
post 29.Jul.2006, 12:32 AM
Post #10

I have just returned from a holiday in UK with partner.1 year old child and her parents. Partner admiiited that people there were more friendly an polite in an bvious way. Is she looking for a way out or just learnng to behave herself?
+
Webby
post 29.Jul.2006, 01:18 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Espen The Conqurer)
he he... It's only statistc. I guess those who have made thsi statistic hasn't been in sweden the last decade... Many swedes are grumpy and they argue over small things.
I believe people in UK are far more happier than in sweden... :twisted:

You might want to look up the difference between 'guessing' and 'psychological research' and 'belief'. :wink:

It's impossible to say which 'country' is happy as countries do not have emotions. All people, regardless of country, are different, and possess their own unique idiosyncratic view on life and level of overall happiness.

The survey carried out by the PhD psychology research student used a representitave sample of the people and questioned them on criteria such as working hours, holidays, family life, financial stabilty, spare time etc etc - which could be deemed as determinants of happiness. The statistics allowed generalisation to the wider population of each country - and then a significant and valid comparison to be made.

However, since happiness is unique to each person - such research can never seek to capture any individual's happiness, for reasons already discussed - and can only be used as a comparison between predictors of happiness [e.g. standard of living]. Not between the actual residents of the countries discussed.

Therefore talk such as 'the Swedes I've met are grumpy' or 'UK people were polite to me' is mere anecdote and is never going to provide any meaningful reflection of how truly happy the these people are.
+
Ezpen The Caveman
post 30.Jul.2006, 09:59 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Dlwebby)
You might want to look up the difference between 'guessing' and 'psychological research' and 'belief'. :wink:

It's impossible to say which 'country' is happy as countries do not have emotions. All people, regardless of country, are different, and possess their own unique idiosyncratic view on life and level of overall happiness.

The survey carried out by the PhD psychology research student used a representitave sample of the people and questioned them on criteria such as working hours, holidays, family life, financial stabilty, spare time etc etc - which could be deemed as determinants of happiness. The statistics allowed generalisation to the wider population of each country - and then a significant and valid comparison to be made.

However, since happiness is unique to each person - such research can never seek to capture any individual's happiness, for reasons already discussed - and can only be used as a comparison between predictors of happiness [e.g. standard of living]. Not between the actual residents of the countries discussed.

Therefore talk such as 'the Swedes I've met are grumpy' or 'UK people were polite to me' is mere anecdote and is never going to provide any meaningful reflection of how truly happy the these people are.

Yes... we can... The culture and identity of people gives a more meaningful reflection than a theory based on very few criterias.

Have this psychology student seen all the mentally ill humans which don't get any help in Sweden??

* working hours - Can't have any if you don't have a job in sweden.
* holidays - Every day is a holiday, but can't afford to travel anywhere.
* family life - I guess family life is better in Gambia then i Europe.. ;-)
* financial stabilty - ha, ha ha
* spare time - 24/7 if you don't have job...

NONE of this criterias are to Swedens benefit. With criterias like this both UK and Germany should be on top of the list.

And finally: Who did they ask? I guess the PhD psychology research student never heard of Swedish Denial Culture?? (We'er not sinking, we're not sinking..even if the boat goes down..)
+
Get It Right
post 30.Jul.2006, 10:30 PM
Post #13

Espen quit talking about the rest of the world as if you've lived there.
+
Ezpen The Caveman
post 30.Jul.2006, 10:44 PM
Post #14

THe Rest of the World... ha ha... I'm talking about Sweden, UK and Germany. World is much bigger than these countries...
+
Get It Right
post 30.Jul.2006, 11:21 PM
Post #15

So you have lived in the UK? I grew up there.

What about Germany?
+

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN