• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Apartment in andra hand

How much can they charge in rent?

Solith
post 30.Nov.2011, 11:36 AM
Post #1

I'm living in a student apartment. The girl who has the first hand contract lives there and I live as her room mate and have a second hand contract.

I'm paying around 90% of the total rent charges, she pays the remaining 10% and then internet, electricity, but for the life of me I can't see that (as she says) these charges amount to 40% of the rent.

I heard there was a rule about how much you can charge for a second hand contract, anyone know what these rules are, where I can find them or who I can ask?
Go to the top of the page
+
Schomberg
post 30.Nov.2011, 12:05 PM
Post #2

I don't think there is anyone you can ask. You're really at her mercy as far as I know and if you agreed to pay 90% of the rent then that's what you'll pay. I can't see the ultities bill amounting to *that* much.
+
Puffin
post 30.Nov.2011, 12:06 PM
Post #3

You are not renting in andra hand with a second hand contract as far as I can see

If the first hand tennant lives there you are a lodger/ roomate/inneboende which means that you have many fewer legal rights than if this was a andra hand apartment and are not really covered by law in the same way as apartment contracts - she can give you notice to leave at any time and for any reason

You could ask her to show you the actual bills that she is paying
+
Puffin
post 30.Nov.2011, 12:14 PM
Post #4

You can contact Hyresnämnden to get an adjudication on whether you are paying too much rent - however the risk is that she will ask you to leave

Did you agree to the sum and think it reasonable at the time? Do you have a written contract with her that covers what you pay for?

Basically though it can be very risky to complain about student apartments - if it is a single person apartment then you risk both of you becoming homeless as certain types of student rooms/apartments cannot be legally sublet
+
Solith
post 6.Dec.2011, 09:16 AM
Post #5

So basically I'm at the mercy of anyone who has an apartment? I'm a British student in Uppsala, so although I'm on all the queues I can get on it'll be 5 years before I near the time I'll get my own contract. Basically, the market for renters is so competitive that I'm paying way over the odds because if I won't pay it someone else will and I'll be on the streets.

This seems extremely unfair, one could almost argue it's against human rights to discriminate so much against outsiders! I found out the other day this girl didnt take a student loan this term - so basically she's living off MY money. Then she refuses to buy toilet roll and gets passive aggressive with a lasagne tin! I'm getting a very, very bad impression of Swedes.
+
byke
post 6.Dec.2011, 09:46 AM
Post #6

Well, it all boils down to ... If you don't like it, move out and find another place.
The private rental market and human rights bear very little relation.
When you agreed to rent the place you did so on terms and agreements from the start.

I won't deny it's a tough market, but just because you have your foot in the door ... Doesn't mean you can negotiate a new deal. You are by all means free to go and buy an apartment and do the same thing she is doing if it is so profitable.
+
djmarko
post 6.Dec.2011, 09:51 AM
Post #7

If you dont like it, simply move out or buy an apartment, whichever suits you!!
+
dave.smith
post 6.Dec.2011, 10:11 AM
Post #8

Hi solith, sorry to hear about your issues.

Legally there isn't much you can do, but what may be effective is say something like "jag kommer att reportera denna historia till Aftonbladet om du inte behandlar mig rattvist". (Yag com ah at report err ah den her histor en teel aff ton blah dett orm doo inta beh han dler miig rett vest)

(Sorry I know the chars are wrong, don't have a SE keyboard atm) the main thing is actually saying it though.

Saying this in a threatening way is only necessary if the situation is really bad, if it's medium level or below, just say it formally but casually.

It does tend to do the trick with most swedes.
+
Puffin
post 6.Dec.2011, 10:18 AM
Post #9

You have far more rights in relation to your landlord if you are not living with the landlord - being a lodger is much more difficult. You can complain but then the landlord can judt give you notice to move

Why don't you search more actively? It is not so hard to find your own place in Uppsala if you are prepared to move once or twice per year as many of the student who spent 1 term or year abroad/in industry rent out their apartments a term at a time - so these are available for those who are actively search on studentboet/Blocket

How many apartments have you actually applied for??? - I have never heard of anyone queuing for 5 years in Uppsala - the longest I ever heard of was 2 years for a 4:e as she had 2 kids and needed a large apartment of which there are very few around

Have you tried the nations? Many have flats to rent as well
+
byke
post 6.Dec.2011, 10:18 AM
Post #10

I disagree ... As chances are she will just tell him to pack his bags and get out.
+
dave.smith
post 6.Dec.2011, 10:30 AM
Post #11

Byke, it all depends on their specific current situation. Neither of us has enough information to say with complete certainty what the right thing to do is.

I think that doing what I suggested will get the desired results with at least 75 percent of swedes, though.
+
Puffin
post 6.Dec.2011, 10:41 AM
Post #12

Not sure whether this will work with a student apartment - it's not like you are dealing with a professional landlord here

There is a 50% chance that it could backfire on OP - people who agree to contracts and then try to back out or alter them tend not to be very popular even in the tabloid press!!
+
Solith
post 6.Dec.2011, 04:25 PM
Post #13

I agreed on the contract because she seemed normal and pleasant. I later found out I'm paying 4000skr for a tiny room in an apartment with 5000skr rent. Basically all she's paying on top is the electricity.

And yes, I'd love to move out. I'm applying for a first hand contract whenever they come up and searching on blocket and studentboet. I'd really, really like to buy but on a PhD salary (and particularly with stupid rent charges) I could afford just the required 15% deposit in perhaps 5 years time. Grrr.

I'm hoping that by being super nice and dropping hints that she's the lovely kind of person who would see how much the electricity was really costing she'd drop the rent (she said she had no idea how much elec would cost when we moved in) then she'll have a massive attack of guilt and things will be more reasonable. In the meantime though I'm searching.

Anyone know of any apartments going spare?
+
Dagem Hailemariam
post 21.Dec.2011, 11:36 PM
Post #14

For all the talk about Swedes being fair and just (Jantelagen), they sure can be vicious when it comes to taking advantage of people looking for shelter (second hand and lodger rates are CRAZY HIGH).

The best way is to network...get the word out and have your friends get the word out...I am sure you can find somebody in your 3rd degree of seperation that is willing to take you in...then things will be a bit more fair. Until then, just be grateful that you have a place...an attitude of gratitude goes a long way. Also remember, you didn't have a problem with the price until your ignorance was popped. Rewind your brain until the time right before you found out how much the rent was. You will be a lot more at peace with it until you find a new place. Live and Learn...Next time make sure you ask the person how much the rent is since it is important for you ;-)
+
post 22.Dec.2011, 09:37 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Dagem Hailemariam @ 22.Dec.2011, 12:36 AM) *
For all the talk about Swedes being fair and just (Jantelagen), they sure can be vicious when it comes to taking advantage of people looking for shelter (second hand and lodger rates are CRAZY HIGH).

it is fair and just considering supply and demand. swedes are like any people from other market driven economies.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se