• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Seeking advice on daycare centres for kids

Looking for company nearby for my 2 year old

manishajhingran
post 21.Dec.2011, 02:27 PM
Post #1

We have just moved into Stockholm few weeks back with our 2-year old daughter. Apparently with no company, she feels lonely and bored. We have started considering to send her to a daycare centre nearby. But from what I have read on the internet, it may take a few weeks or even months to get her first registered and then wait for our turn to find a vacancy in a daycare centre nearby. Can someone please tell me what exactly is the procedure to go about this whole thing and how long will it take before I can send my daughter to a daycare. Also, we are currently staying at Rissne/Sundbybergs Centrum (Any Indians nearby?). Is it necessary that I send My baby to a centre in the same area or is it on me to choose a centre anywhere in the city? Also, please advise which are the good daycare centres in Stockholm. And, are the centres only Swedish-Speaking or bilingual? Are there any English-Speaking centres too?
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 21.Dec.2011, 02:52 PM
Post #2

Full English is no longer available, it was outlawed a year or 2 ago.

So you can find multicultural day cares that are often referred to as Bi-lingual, but you really have to do your homework before you just place any child. Especially in Stockholm (in regards to seeing who speaks what and who is qualified within each daycare - either foreign qualified or swedish qualified).

Many foreign qualified teachers are classed as unqualified under swedish law, due to them not being able to get their qualifications transfered as they are required to have passed a swedish language exam (even if they work with english speaking children).

Stockholm has a huge mix of both good and bad staff (and daycares), with a general high staff turnover. So research it, and have a look around. You can also get a good idea how alert or professionally minded staff of a certain daycare are by observing them in any local park where they often take the children to play.
+
Puffin
post 21.Dec.2011, 11:14 PM
Post #3

Keep checking the Mums In Sweden site (it's being upgraded at the moment but should be back soon - they are also on Facebook) - there are details of English speaking playgroups and the Stockholm mums often have coffee and playdates etc - this might be an option while you are waiting for a nursery place to become available
http://www.mumsinsweden.com/
+
Yorkshireman
post 16.Nov.2012, 08:51 AM
Post #4

Depending upon how good Your Swedish is, here is a link to Stockholm Stads child-care, where you can search and compare daycare centers:

http://www.stockholm.se/ForskolaSkola/forskola/

You can apply online if you have Bank Id etc... There is, wait for it wink.gif, a queue system!, with a maximum normal waiting time of 3 months. Every child is entitled to a place once they reach 1yr old, and it does take less than 3 months to get one. The system works in such a way that they look to find a place within the area of Stockholm that You live, and then if they cannot find one to another part of the city. Whilst You can apply for specific day-care centers, you may not always be offered a place in those, and it can be they offer somewhere else.

Don't expect too much with regards the day-care being more English speaking, I'm pretty sure your 2yr old will pick up Swedish reasonably quickly once amongst other kids wink.gif ...and it is most likely the Staff can speak English smile.gif
+
Nsena
post 16.Nov.2012, 09:46 AM
Post #5

If you are interested in a school in Kista the Ekbacken Förskola Ribegatan 240, 164 45 Kista (http://www.stockholm.se/-/Serviceenhetsdetaljer/?enhet=8a05038eebb844058f78616e2f6ddf11 )had a notice in its gate for vacancies last week. I am not sure if its still there. You may try to call the preschool or drop-in after getting the Swedish personal number, if you don't have it yet. This school has an English section as far as I know.

Otherwise, the general procedure is to apply from here (you may usee google translator for rough translation) https://service.stockholm.se/Open/ChildCare...pplication.aspx
+
Taxalien
post 19.Nov.2012, 10:06 PM
Post #6

I have a colleague at work who decided to put his kids to an outdoor "dagis" and I've been somewhat fascinated by the impression that appear to have given these kids.

An outdoor dagis is a dagis that spends more or less the whole time outdoors, in nature, rain or shine, snow or sunny skies.

The one he frequented is in Lindome on the west coast. I think they exist elsewhere as well.

At this particular one they got all the food from a catering restaurant.

This has led to his kids totally rejecting the otherwise prevalent Swedish youngster mentality of ketchup and fish fingers. That is, they genuinly prefer and expect proper food at home and elsewhere, rather than factory made food substitutes.

Knowing Swedish kids, this is a feat in itself,

Had I known about this I would have sent my own kids to the same establishment, however mine are now past that requirement now.
+
Puffin
post 20.Nov.2012, 07:18 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Taxalien @ 19.Nov.2012, 10:06 PM) *
This has led to his kids totally rejecting the otherwise prevalent Swedish youngster mentality of ketchup and fish fingers. That is, they genuinly prefer and expect proper foo ... (show full quote)

Really - you must have chosen a strange dagis as home-made food is more the norm than the exception - my kids never ate fish fingers at dagis - they had a cook who prepared from scratch meals each day including making homemade bread
+
byke
post 20.Nov.2012, 07:53 PM
Post #8

I have to agree with puffin to some extent.
In Stockholm a fair few dagis's market themselves as having their own kitchen to prepare and make meals as a way to woo parents into sending their children there. And while much of the food is generic processed low value crap (macaroni and processed off cuts etc) its very much marketed as ECO to dazzle the parents. As once a child is signed up to said institution, many parents dont play much of a real active role in observing their childs environment. Apart from blowing their own trumpet at parents meetings on trial crap like demand better quality nappies etc.

The Bread technique is a clear example of tactics used to woo parents into sending their children to certain dagis'

The same way that in older schools, its now super vogue to send your children to "International" or mock "English" branded schools.

Such is the extent of such branding, one really has to question just how much time the majority of parents spend looking into finding suitable schools and play schools. As to be frank, with the rate ever increasing for "free schools" and that in turn sparks questions of profitability through attendance.

To the last OP looking for a place - many dagis's are generic.
But have a good look and see what you can find.
+
Yorkshireman
post 21.Nov.2012, 12:45 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Puffin @ 20.Nov.2012, 07:18 PM) *
Really - you must have chosen a strange dagis as home-made food is more the norm than the exception - my kids never ate fish fingers at dagis - they had a cook who prepared fr ... (show full quote)

Same here ... My kids went to a dagis here in Stockholm City and there was an in-house cook, all produce brought in fresh and cooked on-site in the kitchen. smile.gif

...it is in the schools that the food tends to turn to cr*p, problem with that is that the schools often have too many students to handle the catering themselves, so they put it out to tender ...what is often mis-understood is that due to EU rules with regards public tenders, they have to take the lowest bidder. Even if they put all kinds of conditions into the tender, those can easily be challenged and the general rulings in the court are towards lowest costs.
+
jeff9556
post 21.Nov.2012, 11:00 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Puffin @ 20.Nov.2012, 06:18 PM) *
Really - you must have chosen a strange dagis as home-made food is more the norm than the exception - my kids never ate fish fingers at dagis - they had a cook who prepared fr ... (show full quote)

Yep, same with us. Our daughter attends a green flag dagis and have their own kitchen, all ecological food, fresh home made bread and so on. I've sat in on quite a few lunches and other meals (open door policy and I do use it, since I can) and at least at out dagis the food is very good.

There are a couple of those outdoor dagis setups here in Malmö, frankly I would not send my kid to one. They look extremely boring to me (I have observed one of them), and frankly would you want to stand outside nearly all day in winter in Sweden? Didn't think so...
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN