• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Giving birth in Sweden

Need Help

Sireen
post 9.Jan.2012, 02:50 PM
Post #1

Dear Sir/Madam
I want to check few issues about giving birth in Sweden:
First of all I am a British citizen (but I live in Israel).
I might be in Sweden at the time witch I will give birth, and I was wondering if I deliver my child in Sweden what will be my rights or subsidies?
What papers should I have at the time?
Thank you very much
Sireen
Go to the top of the page
+
Streja
post 9.Jan.2012, 02:52 PM
Post #2

? Why will you give birth in Sweden?

You have no rights or subsidies.
+
johnjohn
post 9.Jan.2012, 02:58 PM
Post #3

Streja is correct you will need also to have your own medical insurance or pay a hugh hospital bill. You are a non-resident so will not be entitled to any medical coverage.
+
Sireen
post 9.Jan.2012, 03:00 PM
Post #4

I might be with my husband in a business trip in Europe and we might end in sweden
+
Streja
post 9.Jan.2012, 03:02 PM
Post #5

That's not very wise as it would be very expensive for you.
+
Sireen
post 9.Jan.2012, 03:04 PM
Post #6

I don’t know what is wise at the moment if I have to give birth in Sweden – I will, I don’t care how much does it cost smile.gif
+
PDX
post 9.Jan.2012, 03:06 PM
Post #7

If everything goes right, then all is fine, you will get to keep your child. This is assuming you give birth in your hotel, park, bar or wherever you please rolleyes.gif You will not receive subsidies. If you wish for a birth in hospital then naturally you will have to pay for it or have your insurance cover it.

If something goes wrong, you may have to pay a part of the hospital care. The cost of having a newborn in an intensive care unit can be several thousands of euros per day.

It may be a good idea to read the following, although it is for UK residents only:

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabr...ivingbirth.aspx

Since you are not a UK resident, I suppose obtaining a very good travel insurance covering any birth complications would be a good idea.

~~~PDX~~~
+
Sireen
post 9.Jan.2012, 03:08 PM
Post #8

THANKS wink.gif
+
johnjohn
post 9.Jan.2012, 03:13 PM
Post #9

Why would you go to a country you do not know or I imagine speak the language and give birth on your husband business trip? Even a normal birth will be complicated while you just show up. My advise is to seriously re-think or perhaps just think.
+
PDX
post 9.Jan.2012, 03:17 PM
Post #10

Husband is visibly excited about the prospects of spending time in a country full of blondes - wife must keep an eye on him even if due to give birth rolleyes.gif .

~~~PDX~~~
+
Puffin
post 9.Jan.2012, 07:50 PM
Post #11

Most airlines will not fly a pregnant woman after 32-34 weeks

Most travel insurance does not cover complications in pregnancy after 28 or 30 weeks

Pregnancy is not regarded as a medical emergency so is usually not covered by the European health card and you don't have EU residence in Sweden so are not insured in Sweden- so you need to budget
20,000+kr for a normal birth
50,000+ kr for a c-section
1000s per day if your baby needs special care

... and if you should have the misfortune to go into labour while flying and the aircraft if forced to divert then these days most airlines charge for this - could be 500,000-1,000,000 kr

Really surprised that you are considering taking such huge risks
+
aino
post 9.Jan.2012, 08:08 PM
Post #12

I actually thought airlines wouldn't fly you in the last trimester at all (not just weeks 32 and up).
+
JulieLou40
post 9.Jan.2012, 09:09 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Sireen @ 9.Jan.2012, 02:50 PM) *
Dear Sir/MadamI want to check few issues about giving birth in Sweden:First of all I am a British citizen (but I live in Israel).I might be in Sweden at the time witch I will ... (show full quote)

..What makes you think that Sweden will pay you to come here and give birth??
+
Puffin
post 9.Jan.2012, 09:58 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (aino @ 9.Jan.2012, 08:08 PM) *
I actually thought airlines wouldn't fly you in the last trimester at all (not just weeks 32 and up).

Som won't - others will let you fly with a doctors certificate until week 32

Seems a huge risk though - would not fancy either
- being in labour ar 30,000 feet
or
- giving birth unprepared in a strange country where you don't speak the language
+
post 9.Jan.2012, 10:25 PM
Post #15

this has got to be a wind up
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists
Click here for the full job description