• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Apartment in Lund or Malmo

What is better?

itmagno
post 21.Jan.2012, 07:47 PM
Post #1

Hello All,
I will soon relocate to Sweden to work in Lund for few years.
I will move with my wife, we don not have children.
Would you suggest to find an apartment in Lund or Malmo?
Lund would be for sure closer to work but I have heard Malmo's life is better (this would be better also for my wife as she will not work, at least at the beginning when we will move..).

When it comes to rental fees, what are the average prices in both cities? What neighbourhood/area would you suggest in case I will choose to live in Malmo..?

thanks a lot, cheers
M
Go to the top of the page
+
Puffin
post 21.Jan.2012, 07:54 PM
Post #2

I would choose Lund - one of Sweden's oldest University cities
+
johnjohn
post 21.Jan.2012, 08:10 PM
Post #3

Lund !
+
BillyB
post 21.Jan.2012, 08:55 PM
Post #4

Lund
+
Sunshine73
post 21.Jan.2012, 09:03 PM
Post #5

I live in Malmö and just a heads up...there is at least a 2 year wait list to find a first hand contract in Malmö. You can try to find a second hand apt on www.blocket.se. There are a few small renting agencies out there when you might get lucky.

I dont know any off hand but Im sure someone will post them.

Avoid...Rosengård,Lindangen.Körksback,Hyllie,Holma and any areas around there.

You might have a better chance in Lund. Can your job help you? If so that will help.

I love Lund and its a short train ride to Malmö.
+
PDX
post 22.Jan.2012, 12:10 PM
Post #6

If you are going to work in Lund, move to Lund, it's obvious. Otherwise you will have to commute by car or bus from Malmö which is rather inconvenient during the winter season.

The prices in both cities are very affordable, at about half of Stockholm levels or even less. There are stunning villas for hire at 15k SEK per month which is really a bargain given the location and surroundings.

~~~PDX~~~
+
Nemesis
post 22.Jan.2012, 01:37 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (itmagno @ 21.Jan.2012, 08:47 PM) *
Hello All,I will soon relocate to Sweden to work in Lund for few years.I will move with my wife, we don not have children.Would you suggest to find an apartment in Lund or Mal ... (show full quote)

As you intend to work in Lund, there are other cheaper options.

If you have children, you really need to avoid Malmö at all costs for there sake. A 15 year old was killed there no so long ago.

Lund is a good place to live, although it can be expensive.

There are cheaper options on the railway line.

There are Gunesbo and Kvälinge on the railway line to Helsingborg, which are cheap, quiet and very close to Lund with two trains an hour to Lund, which is about 15 minutes by train.Gunesbo is 2 minutes by train and 10 minnutes by bus to central Lund.

There are Eslöv and Höör on the other railway line. There are also two trains an hour to Lund. They are quieter and cheaper than Lund.

If you have children, I recommend checking out Lund, Gunesbo, Kvälinge, Eslöv and Höör, all of which have good primary and secondary schools.

I hope it works out for you.

Good luck.
+
itmagno
post 22.Jan.2012, 02:17 PM
Post #8

ok, thanks so far.
I do not have children and the conpany I work for will probably help me..

Let's see what opportunities I will find.

thanks, Cheers,
M
+
itmagno
post 24.Jan.2012, 10:21 AM
Post #9

Hello All,
but when it comes to rental fees.. what are the average prices in both Lund and Malmo?
Obviously it depends on the area/neighbourhood but a range of prices would be fine to have an idea..
Please consider an apartment with kitchen and living room, 2 bedroom and 1 bathroom (garage as optional)

Thanks a lot, cheers!
M
+
Sunshine73
post 24.Jan.2012, 11:44 AM
Post #10

Malmö is not that bad...so stop being a troll. if you dont like how Sweden is then get on a plane and GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM and if you dont live in Malmö or Sweden then SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE!

Im from California and its really not that bad. Bad things happen everywhere.

We pay over 7800 to live in the Malmö burbs. We have a 2 room, one bedroom built in 2006,with a washer and dryer, a little garden and live near the sea. For a 3 room apt with 2 bedroom...in Malmö or Lund depending on where you live 7000 to 15000 maybe more...The nice areas of course will cost more and people rent out their apts second hand can really charge what ever they want! So Beware. Do your homework and if your job can help. Take the help.

Good luck smile.gif
+
Puffin
post 24.Jan.2012, 11:50 AM
Post #11

@äktaSwede - so is your purpose of coming to a board for immigrants just to stir up trouble?
+
PDX
post 24.Jan.2012, 11:53 AM
Post #12

Why argue about it when you can just have a look at the local newspaper's dedicated page on 'murders in Malmö' :

http://www.sydsvenskan.se/system/topicRoot/Morden_i_Malm_/

It's only 'really not that bad' if you come from a ghetto unsure.gif .

~~~PDX~~~
+
Sunshine73
post 24.Jan.2012, 11:53 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (äktaSvensk @ 24.Jan.2012, 11:48 AM) *
I am Swedish, and you are not, so I find it ironic that you tell me to get back on a plane and go back to where I came from. Lol to the max, stupid Americans. I have lived in ... (show full quote)

Whatever...By the way Im a duel citizen and love both counties the same. There are things I like and things I hate with both. Malmö is not a dump. Whatever...
+
Puffin
post 24.Jan.2012, 12:08 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (PDX @ 24.Jan.2012, 11:53 AM) *
Why argue about it when you can just have a look at the local newspaper's dedicated page on 'murders in Malmö' :http://www.sydsvenskan.se/system/topicRoot/Morden ... (show full quote)

Were you replying to me?

My post was in response to ÄktaSvensk's pattern of posting on several threads this morning all of which were criticising/attacking other posters - and in some cases giving out false information
+
PDX
post 24.Jan.2012, 12:16 PM
Post #15

I was replying to CA Sunshine smile.gif . In any case, that link has some real gems on how things are in Malmö at the moment.

~~~PDX~~~
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN