• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Is this email a scam?

Stolen info from The Local?

Garry Jones
post 23.Feb.2012, 09:24 AM
Post #1

As most of these scam spams are not genuine I suspect there is a rat here...

This is the mail. Has anyone else got this. And how have they been able to scan thelocal.se for addresses. If this had been a manual search they would know I am English. They demand Swedish Citizenshit for this.

Is it possibly genuine?

> Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 07:00:06 +0100
> From: wioletta@addons-hr.info
> Subject: Greet seekers
> To: SECRET EMAIL ADRESS
>
> Good morning.
>
> I lead the staff department in the Add-ons Sp. llc. And Our company found information about you at online source thelocal.se.
> Because of enlarging of the business and breaking into new markets our company, the leader of wholesale e-currency exchange, is proud to let you know of an opportunity of becoming a member of the young enthusiastic working group. We offer you interviewing for our vacancy.
>
> Vacant Post: Customer Service Manager
>
> We offer you:
> * Promotion track
> * Possibility of choosing either option of fulltime or part time
> * Paid workshops
> * Salary – 60000-80000 euro per year + option money
> * covered cost of transportation
>
> Candidate Requirements:
> * Older than 21
> * Swedish citizen
> * Beginner English
> * Good knowledge of Word, Excel
> * Communicability. Readiness to negotiate over the phone and tet-a-tet
>
> We respect responsibility, industriousness, initiative, ambitions for education and self-delepoment. If you are interested in the job offer contact us.
>
>
> Sincerely yours,
> The head of the personnel department of Add-ons Sp. llc,
> Wioletta
> Add-ons Sp. llc

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to the top of the page
+
David S
post 23.Feb.2012, 09:38 AM
Post #2

yes.
+
Jamtjim
post 23.Feb.2012, 09:41 AM
Post #3

Seems like we are getting more than our fair share of "no-brainer" type questions of late! I suspect an conspiracy...
+
teslar
post 23.Feb.2012, 10:24 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Garry Jones @ 23.Feb.2012, 09:24 AM) *
Is it possibly genuine?

OK, I just need to ask: what part of the mail made you think that there might just be a chance that this is genuine?
+
Garry Jones
post 23.Feb.2012, 10:48 AM
Post #5

They don't normally source email addresses. I was VERY surprised to see thelocal.se in the text of the email. This is a website very few people know about. I am more concerned that they are able to find my emailadress on here without doing a manual search. There are protective tools for that,
+
Jamtjim
post 23.Feb.2012, 11:19 AM
Post #6

This is a website very few people know about.

According to the forum index: "We have 97,554 registered members" and that, one would assume, would not include those who read thelocal.se (and thus know about it) but choose not to register. Does that sound like "very few" to you?
+
post 23.Feb.2012, 11:29 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Garry Jones @ 23.Feb.2012, 10:48 AM) *
They don't normally source email addresses. I was VERY surprised to see thelocal.se in the text of the email. This is a website very few people know about. I am more conce ... (show full quote)

i suggest you inform the local directly.
+
Rick Methven
post 23.Feb.2012, 12:10 PM
Post #8

Your email could also have been harvested either from your PC or from a friends email address book

I got an email this morning. from a clients personal yahoo email that just gave a link to a completely unrelated web site. The distribution list contained a load of other of his business contacts. It seems his yahoo contacts have been harvested
+
Garry Jones
post 23.Feb.2012, 01:17 PM
Post #9

I would presume thelocal has email harvesting protection. I am surprised by the number of users this site has. Judging by the forum activity over the 7 years I have been here there are 10-15 regular posters and about 40-50 hang arounds and maybe 200 lurkers.

I'd have thought it more likely to go for a site that millions of people read daily rather than these numbers, altough impressive, still quite small in the cyberspace scale of things.

It just came over as strange that they would name thelocal.se
+
Jamtjim
post 23.Feb.2012, 01:27 PM
Post #10

I'd have thought it more likely to go for a site that millions of people read daily rather than these numbers, altough impressive, still quite small in the cyberspace scale of things.

What, you don't think that someone has written a small program to automate this kind of thing??
+
John.Smith
post 23.Feb.2012, 03:32 PM
Post #11

You more than likely have a spybot on the pc you use. It can log information such as what sites you visit, any stored email addresses (auto logins etc..) and potentially passwords too.
Get a good anti virus (AVG is a good free one) and do a scan.

That is the only way I can think that they would associate your email address with a specifc site. Dont be surprised if you get more of the same.
+
Brunette Babe 5
post 23.Feb.2012, 04:19 PM
Post #12

There was a scam on the noticeboard a few years ago. We didn't report it to The Local.
+
Rick Methven
post 23.Feb.2012, 05:16 PM
Post #13

If your email address is on a web site in clear language, it can be harvested. My web site is hit by bots ( harvesting robots) about 5 time a week. They fail to get anything because there are no visible email addresses and all contact is made via web forms. the email address that the forms are sent to are encrypted. The way to keep safe.

Free AVG systems are never up to the same level as paid ones Norton an macafee provide the best protection.
+
Garry Jones
post 23.Feb.2012, 06:25 PM
Post #14

> You more than likely have a spybot on the pc you use.

Not me mate, I have been in computers since 1979 and my machines are clean.

I must admit I have never seen an email adress linked to the name of a website before in a spam scam. It's kind of uncanncy because the email is in English and aimed at Swedish people. This is probably the most popular Swedish owned site in Sweden that runs in English. Target groups for scammers are usually 50+ million so this does indicate a new kind of scam.

As for having email adresses behind webforms and so on you run the risk of losing customers on certain types of businesses. As a web user you often want to click on Contact, click an email adress and type your email, Make it more complicated and some people go to your competitor. I run 7 websites and have open email adreses on these, funny enough not the one the emailaddress they targetted though, I only use that on a few places, one being thelocal. I log external attacks, prevent email harvesting and other threats on my site.

I was in an Anti spam group that had meetings with the Swedish Goverment as early as 95. Sweden failed to take this seriously and all our predictions came in.
+
Rick Methven
post 23.Feb.2012, 10:51 PM
Post #15

You might have been in computers since 1979, but that is when your knowledge stopped. web bots do not just go for large hit sites they rove around going through site after site looking for addresses that they can harvest and sell to spammers.

A man who says so confidently " my machines are clean" is a fool in today's web environment. The scammers and spammers are ahead of the technology to stop their activity. The whole web is playing constant catch up with these guys.

As for losing customers if you do not put a persons name and email address on, Amazon does pretty well and my current web site running since 1993 has not had a problem at all. All you have to ensure that a web form is responded to quickly and if you feel that a more personal response is desirable, give a name and return address.

I was using computers and writing software in 1970 and running bulletin boards since 1975. and have lectured on web security
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists
Click here for the full job description