• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

I want to buy a good car

Using a car in Sweden

emmy11
post 17.Mar.2012, 07:16 AM
Post #1

Hi,
I am a little confused about buying a car to use here in Sweden, I dont know much about cars. What kind of car would anyone who knows about car suggest I buy? I am looking at a 2000 to 2006 model (used car), a car that is strong, not problematic, not too expensive to maintain and consume less gas. it also has to be a mini jeep, something like an SUV
Can anyone Help?
Go to the top of the page
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 17.Mar.2012, 08:09 AM
Post #2

Easy, ask all those Swedes when they are finished with that light bulb.
+
emmy11
post 17.Mar.2012, 08:15 AM
Post #3

How do you mean light bulb?
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 17.Mar.2012, 08:21 AM
Post #4

They weigh less than the heavy ones. And don't mistake them for turnips.
+
emmy11
post 17.Mar.2012, 08:24 AM
Post #5

To be Honest, I dont understand what you are talking about. can you please clarify?
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 17.Mar.2012, 09:23 AM
Post #6

I thought you were being funny, and tried to reciprocate in kind.

If you are serious about buying a used car, I suggest you check out ads in the newspapers, and look around for vehicles at gas stations and repair shops

Once you find something you are interested in, I would test drive it, make sure that it recently passed its road test well, and have it checked out by a mechanic you trust. (I know of one I trust.)

If all this turns out satisfactorily, I would bargain over the price, as most of the asking prices are too high.
+
Gordy
post 17.Mar.2012, 09:45 AM
Post #7

To find out what issues there are with any particular car model you are considering take a look at the used car reviews at honestjohn.co.uk

Why does it have to be a SUV? They are not popular here as normal cars with winter tyres are just as good for the winter conditions here unless you live in the woods on a road that doesn't have snow clearing, in which case you probably should have a Lada Niva or a Fiat Panda Climbing.
+
edd1
post 17.Mar.2012, 09:51 AM
Post #8

http://www.blocket.se/stockholm?q=&cg=...p;l=0&md=th

http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/bilar?ca=1...p;w=1&cb=39

http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/bilar?ca=1...mp;w=1&cb=3

http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/bilar?ca=1...p;w=1&cb=40

Don't expect to buy a SUV that has low gas/running costs either, they are bigger and heavier than normal cars and use more petrol. Tires are bigger etc. Running costs depend on the make/model you buy. Road tax costs more the bigger the engine/more emissions

If you find something your interested in then you can check the value here,

bilpriser.se

Just put in the reg number etc.

If you absolutely need a SUV but need to keep costs down the probably a toyota is a good bet. reliable and pretty cheap service costs (compared to BMW/VW) and depending on the engine size, ok fuel consumption.

Be careful you don't get ripped off on blocket though...
+
Rick Methven
post 17.Mar.2012, 10:34 AM
Post #9

If you know nothing about cars, it is not advisable to buy one via Blocket unless you have a good car savy friend with you.

much better to buy from a registered second hand car dealer or from a main dealer who has a reputation to maintain and will still be there a couple of years later.
+
emmy11
post 17.Mar.2012, 03:49 PM
Post #10

Thanks guys for your contribution. I am a 6 feet 3inc tall guy, having that in mind, i thought an SUV will be better for me since its big. i am not confined or stuck with SUV by any means,rather, any big car that will suite my height will do. Actually i was thinking of Toyota Auris. Any ideas on this? like i said, i dont know much about cars.
+
Svensksmith
post 17.Mar.2012, 04:20 PM
Post #11

I recommend finding a mechanic who will check the car out for a nominal price. They can identify issues that could be costly down the road. Incidently, I am 6' 3" 210lbs and I fit in my wife's Toyota Corolla comfortably and the gas mileage is respectable.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 17.Mar.2012, 04:22 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (emmy11 @ 17.Mar.2012, 04:49 PM) *
Thanks guys for your contribution. I am a 6 feet 3inc tall guy, having that in mind, i thought an SUV will be better for me since its big. i am not confined or stuck with SUV ... (show full quote)

6' 3'' is not that tall. Most cars will do.
+
Rick Methven
post 17.Mar.2012, 04:39 PM
Post #13

Many years ago I sold a mini to a 2m tall Danish double bass player. He and his double bass drove quite happily between Copenhagen and Amsterdam every week smile.gif
+
gplusa
post 8.Aug.2012, 12:29 PM
Post #14

I'm also 6' 3" and I've never had a problem fitting comfortably in a normal Swedish sold car. I haven't driven a lot of different cars here, to be fair, but the Volvos, Saabs and Volkswagens I've driven have all been more than roomy enough for me.

I was sitting on a couch at the local Bilprovning station toady, and was reading a fairly chunky magazine sepcifically rating and reporting on pretty much every type of second hand car available in Sweden. It was very thorough I have to say, even comparing the strength of headlamps between different years of the same model. I can't for the life of my remember what it was called now, but it was a commercial looking glossy magazine which I'm sure would be available at most magazine stores.
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se