• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Lulea University Masters

Whats it like?

tomkearney
post 18.Mar.2012, 07:24 PM
Post #1

Hi, I have been accepted onto a Masters course at Lulea University starting in september. I wondered if anyone has or is currently studying here and could tell me what its like (to live, how the teaching is, facilities, locals etc)? Any information would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+
pacfactor
post 18.Mar.2012, 09:36 PM
Post #2

G'day
Where are you from mate?
Congrats on getting the course. Im not the acidemic type but if you are on FB you should look up the English Speakers in Lulea group. We have over 70 members, a wealth of info & a lot of them are in or have been through the Uni system here. There are only a few of us on the local.
Look forward to meeting you at the extra curricular activites that we have once a month!
ie St Patrick's day last night!
Cheers!
+
Furu
post 19.Mar.2012, 01:05 AM
Post #3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luleå
+
gplusa
post 19.Mar.2012, 09:45 PM
Post #4

Gee, I've missed those pointless links.
+
tomkearney
post 20.Mar.2012, 01:14 AM
Post #5

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, I will check out the page and certainly join when I come. Im from england by the way, your from oz i presume?

Maybe my post was too vague, i'm fully aware that wiki has a lulea page but i was looking for something a bit more personal than cold hard facts.

I have seen other threads about studying at different swedish universities, helpful tips etc, and was just wondering wether anyone had any for Lulea. For example, has anyone studying there been able to find a part time job to help them through? Or 'what the best student accomodation agency was? Or properties to avoid?

Any information really to assist anyone either studying in Lulea or anyone planning to study in Lulea.

I think it would be really helpful to have all those kinds of questions answered on one thread specifically for Lulea, it looks like a great place and I want to learn more about it!

Thanks

Tom
+
gplusa
post 20.Mar.2012, 07:50 AM
Post #6

Student accomodation in Luleå is pretty tough to find. You have a better chance if you are willing to take an apartment during the holiday time leading up to the start of the new school year. So basically renting it from the end of the current school year as soon as the existing student moves out. Most students don't want to pay rent during holiday time when the university is closed (obviously), but I've talked to a few people who have told me that was how they managed to get an apartment.

The university itself is a little way out from the town centre but an easy bus ride. It's pretty much self contained with everything you need in the area.
+
nickachu
post 1.Dec.2012, 02:13 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (gplusa @ 20.Mar.2012, 07:50 AM) *
Student accomodation in Luleå is pretty tough to find. You have a better chance if you are willing to take an apartment during the holiday time leading up to the start of the new school year.

Is this still the case? Im thinking of doing a Masters in Luleå starting in August next year, spent 2 years in Umeå so I know all about the climate and hardships in living in smalltown Norrlands.

Any idea how difficult it would be to get an extrajobb as a kock there too? I worked at Allstar in Umeå so I could probably hit up the VD to put in a word at the Luleå one to get me a job there. That's if I get accepted onto the course mind!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se