• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Moving to Sweden in a few months

Moving to the Stockholm area :D

KroDahl
post 13.May.2012, 07:34 AM
Post #1

Hi, I just got a job confirmed for a store opening up in Stockholm. The employer told me to be there by August and I am hoping to leave by July.
I have been taking Swedish classes every Thursday for a few months now and I live in California. I will be moving all by myself and I really excited about it.
I am having trouble finding housing in the stockholm area? does anyone have advice on that? and do I need a visa/work permit ? I have heard things about those.
Also, is 13 dollars an hr enough to survive in Stockholm ? and what things should I expect living in Stockholm?
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 13.May.2012, 08:00 AM
Post #2

You will need a work permit and the job must pay at least 13000kr. per month for you to receive this. It will be extremely hard to find an apartment. First you must first get your work permit and residency visa and person number. Without this you will never be able to rent an apartment. Then the hard part begins finding an apartment. I suggest you do a lot of work and research as it is doubtful you will have this, the visa and person number done by August with the Summer holidays approaching. Also doubtful you wage is sufficient. Good luck.
+
johnjohn
post 13.May.2012, 08:09 AM
Post #3

Better go to www.migrationsverket.se and apply for your work Visa for without this you cannot work or live in Sweden.
+
PDX
post 13.May.2012, 08:15 AM
Post #4

Are you serious, 13 USD per hour blink.gif ? This is borderline poverty in the capital city. How much do you make in CA ?
~~~PDX~~~
+
NathanCH
post 13.May.2012, 12:55 PM
Post #5

Hi Kro,

As you may have noticed, the users on TheLocal like to talk doom and gloom and are generally very negative. Don't let them get to you though.

They are right about the wage, however. Unless you are working 40 hours a week you won't be able to afford living in Stockholm. If you are working 40 hours a week (full time of course) then it is possible. You'll want to find an inexpensive apartment not close to downtown.

I have just moved into a place for $1200 USD a month in a very nice area (2 bedroom). You won't be able to afford a lot of 'fun' things, but for awhile (until you get a raise at least) you can live on the cheap. It's not hard. People do it all the time.

I moved to Sweden 2 weeks ago, before I came here I read threads on this website and became extremely stressed because everyone was so damn negative. Truth is, it's not that difficult to find an apartment if you spend time looking. I'm not saying its easy but as JohnJohn claims "extremely difficult". No, it's not. Maybe if you're idiot it is.

Send me a message if you need any further help. As I said, I'm a Canadian who moved here two weeks ago and sort of went through what you're going through right now so I'd be happy to help.
+
johnjohn
post 13.May.2012, 01:23 PM
Post #6

I did not wish to seem negative in my response. The OP has yet to start the visa process which is of concern. In addition the influx of students at that time greatly affects the housing market.
+
rtharper
post 13.May.2012, 01:46 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (KroDahl @ 13.May.2012, 07:34 AM) *
I am having trouble finding housing in the stockholm area? does anyone have advice on that?

You will likely continue to have problems, as it's just plain hard to find a flat in Stockholm. Will your employer help you at all? Mine agreed to arrange my first flat...

and do I need a visa/work permit ? I have heard things about those.

Yes. Getting a work permit is a non-trivial process, and the wait times can be long. http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/160_en.html has the information you need, but you should get this sorted as soon as possible, and it does involve both paperwork from your employer as well as from the relevant union.

Also, is 13 dollars an hr enough to survive in Stockholm ? and what things should I expect living in Stockholm?

13 USD = 90 SEK/hour. Assuming a 40-hour work week, you are looking at 14,400 SEK per month. That is enough to qualify for a work permit, but it is extremely low in terms of wages to live in the capital. After tax, it will be approximately 11,842 SEK. Do not expect to live anywhere near the city itself with that wage. You can live cheaply on that, however (students do something similar). It is not a super sustainable salary long-term, however. Are you likely to get regular raises with your job?
+
KroDahl
post 13.May.2012, 03:43 PM
Post #8

Thank you all for this information! I am going to fill out the paperwork right now.

I currently make 13 dollar an hour out here in California. The employer in Stockholm has not told me what I will be making in Sweden yet; only that I had to be there by August.

I will ask the employer for flat help and for the paperwork needed to apply for a work permit. Are the chances of me obtaining one smaller now due to my current salary ?

Currently I work about 36 hours a week as I am currently a full time student here in California. I graduate in a week with a major in Digital arts.

I read somewhere that I have to know when I am leaving? like, visas are only for a certain amount of time and I need to have a plane ticket for when I leave with me when I go to the airport ? Is that true? I don't know the length of employment for me in Sweden, the employer has not mentioned that, and I have never been to Sweden, so I am unsure about a lot of things. I think I will enjoy it though! From what I have read it seems like a lovely place.

Nathan- I will email you smile.gif

John- you were not negative.

What is the minimum wage in Sweden? haha your replies have made me curious. The minimum wage out here is 8.50 an hour. haha I was very happy with my 13 tongue.gif
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 13.May.2012, 04:56 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (KroDahl @ 13.May.2012, 04:43 PM) *
What is the minimum wage in Sweden? haha your replies have made me curious. The minimum wage out here is 8.50 an hour. haha I was very happy with my 13 tongue.gif

There is no minimum wage by law in Sweden; it is all set by union agreements. If you work in a shop the minimum wage will be set according to agreement with a union called Handelsanställdas förbund. If you are at least 18 years old the current minimum wage is then 15.4 USD an hour.
+
Yorkshireman
post 13.May.2012, 05:06 PM
Post #10

Actually, most sources that quote a minimum wage in comparisons to other countries normally use the minimum monthly salary quoted by Migrationsverket as a requirement for a work permit! biggrin.gif

You cannot apply for a work permit until You have an offer from your employer for the work inlcluding how much they are going to pay you. The employer will also have to consult a Union with regards the job, and get a statement from them for Migrationsverket. If the Union thinks You are to be paid too little, they will say wink.gif

In theory, since You are non-EU, then the employer must also show they have advertised the vacancy for a minimum of 10 days so that EU residents have a chance to apply also.

Everything takes time, especially the permit processing... best give your employer a shove to get them into action smile.gif
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 13.May.2012, 05:36 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Yorkshireman @ 13.May.2012, 06:06 PM) *
In theory, since You are non-EU, then the employer must also show they have advertised the vacancy for a minimum of 10 days so that EU residents have a chance to apply also.

I think they dropped those rules some time ago.
+
Yorkshireman
post 13.May.2012, 05:48 PM
Post #12

http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/160_en.html

In addition your employer must:

• have advertised the post in Sweden and the EU for at least ten days (for new recruitment)
  • offer terms of employment that are equal to those of a Swedish collective agreement or what is customary within the profession or sector
  • give the relevant union organisations the opportunity to express an opinion on the terms of employment in the job offer.
+
KroDahl
post 16.May.2012, 08:47 PM
Post #13

I am currently waiting for my employer to send over the paperwork so I can apply for work permit and visa.

Thank you all so much for the help!

What is the cheapest flat I could get in the Stockholm area ? A price range ?

Also, is it possible that my visa could be rejected even if I have a job waiting for me ?

Raises, I doubt it. :/
+
rtharper
post 16.May.2012, 11:07 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (KroDahl @ 16.May.2012, 08:47 PM) *
Also, is it possible that my visa could be rejected even if I have a job waiting for me ?

Where immigration applications are concerned, nothing is every 100%. Just makes sure you follow the directions TO THE LETTER!
+
KroDahl
post 17.May.2012, 02:25 AM
Post #15

I just found out I will be making 300,000 SEK is that enough to survive in Stockholm?
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN