• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Ripped off in Sweden

What's the deal?

Swinglish 1
post 1.Jun.2012, 07:23 PM
Post #1

Ok so I needed a new car seat For the baby, looked at a few stores,online blocket exetera...basically a new product was half the price from the Uk???...

I looked at a Britax Evolva 1-2-3 plus/pro which cost around 3000kr new here in Sweden, I bought two, one for the grandparents, from (kiddiecare.com) who I could highly recommend, for less than 3000kr ordered last Friday and picked up today..all inclusive,easy to install,no fuss!!!
Why is it such a rip off here? I am now looking to do all shopping on-line and save half the money...

Anyone else have the same thoughts? Any tips???
Go to the top of the page
+
Puffin
post 1.Jun.2012, 07:47 PM
Post #2

Is it that you are comparing the basic European standards with the higher Swedish baby seat standards that require rear facing seats until up to 4 years?

In many countries cheaper seats are produced that allow you to turn the baby forward at 9-12 months however this is much less safe should you be in an accident. But because of the smaller markets and extra engineering the Swedish ones cost more
+
Swinglish 1
post 1.Jun.2012, 07:52 PM
Post #3

No no exact same seat! Half the price!
+
skogsbo
post 1.Jun.2012, 08:00 PM
Post #4

we did the opposite in the UK, we bought seats from Sweden online and got them sent to the UK. The UK's safety standards aren't so good when it comes to rear facing seats etc. and it was at the time very hard to find rear facing seats beyond baby age, which differs massively to Swedish and Swedish law, not to mention being much safer for your kids.
+
byke
post 1.Jun.2012, 08:10 PM
Post #5

Yes shopping in Sweden is high, in part due to the tax system and that of overheads.
I bought a toaster a few years back that was 5500:- in sweden and 1800:- shipped from the UK.

I also bought a huge sink that was 12800:- + Shipping in sweden (it weighed close to 60kg) and got the same shipped from Germany for less than 4400:-

But be careful, the idea of open borders in europe was designed to increase trade flow.
But now many nations have caught on that their trade system is uncompetitive so they try to enface higher sales taxes at the point of sale.

So Amazon for example charge swedish taxes, even if you are using their UK site.
+
entry
post 1.Jun.2012, 08:20 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Swinglish 1 @ 1.Jun.2012, 08:23 PM) *
I looked at a Britax Evolva 1-2-3 plus/pro which cost around 3000kr new here in Sweden,

Whoa, I had no idea those things were so freakin' expensive. They never had them when I was a kid and I have been able to avoid most activities involving small children so far in life. Crap on a Cracker 3000kr for a kid seat!!! The wife is talking grandkids already. That is insane! That small and that young how attached to it can you really be? If you are young enough you can always make another one. Aren't there places that you can rent kids? 3000kr for a freakin' kid seat!!!
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 1.Jun.2012, 08:24 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Swinglish 1 @ 1.Jun.2012, 08:23 PM) *
Ok so I needed a new car seat For the baby, looked at a few stores,online blocket exetera...basically a new product was half the price from the Uk???...I looked at a Britax Ev ... (show full quote)

The Britax Evolva 1-2-3 is not marketed in Sweden, as you can see here: http://www.britax.se/bilbarnstol/bilbarnstol
This means that the ones you were looking at were not imported through the agent, and thus very expensive.

If you look at seats that are marketed in both countries, e.g. Britax Kid Fix you will find the prices similar.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 1.Jun.2012, 08:30 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (byke @ 1.Jun.2012, 09:10 PM) *
Yes shopping in Sweden is high, in part due to the tax system and that of overheads.I bought a toaster a few years back that was 5500:- in sweden and 1800:- shipped from the U ... (show full quote)

It depends a lot on what products you are looking for. The UK is most often cheaper due to lower tax, but the difference is not that big.

However, if you are looking for unusual products, e.g. some specific toaster, you will find a big difference since the importer only imports very few items and adds a high margin due to the low regional demand. The UK wins hands down in that aspect due to the size of the domestic market.
+
Swinglish 1
post 1.Jun.2012, 08:32 PM
Post #9

Skogsbo are you sure on the law situation?? The seat we bought was highly recommended from three stores in Sweden (we reaserched) so I feel confident In my purchase...also we drive cars rated highly in the ncaps and as traffic is minimal compared to the Uk I feel chances of a collision are also smaller?!!... I'm happy my child is safe enough...remember a neighbours cat could defecate in our around you garden/child and they could die from this alone!...basically I'm saying yes accidents happen but look about be aware and they can be avoided! You know this! Why get charged double??

And thanks byke sound advice...
+
skogsbo
post 1.Jun.2012, 08:38 PM
Post #10

I was refering to the rear facing and child seat regulations in general, not specific seat safety features. Just check it fits your type of car properly, some cars have contoured or funny angled rear seats that make it awkward to position it firmly, the depth of the seat impacts this too. Finally, I hope there are no problems with it as returning it with a fault could become costly?
+
Swinglish 1
post 1.Jun.2012, 08:44 PM
Post #11

@ Entry ha ha genius, I'll just practice making new ones smile.gif

I tried a number of seats in my car first free of charge. I know amazing idea how could you not think of this before?!!
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 1.Jun.2012, 08:46 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Swinglish 1 @ 1.Jun.2012, 09:32 PM) *
Skogsbo are you sure on the law situation?? The seat we bought was highly recommended from three stores in Sweden (we reaserched) so I feel confident In my purchase...also we ... (show full quote)

The car seat standards are now harmonized in the EU, but national recommendations may differ. The Swedish recommendation is that car seats should be facing rearwards until the age of 4-5 years, so there may simply not be a market for front facing seats for kids younger than 4.
+
skogsbo
post 1.Jun.2012, 09:08 PM
Post #13

That's the point I was making badly, UK demand is for forward facing seats, Sweden the opposite, you want the opposite and you'll pay more. I went for safety, ie rear facing until they are too big to anymore. What's a few quid or krona when its kids involved.
+
BeckyJL
post 1.Jun.2012, 09:12 PM
Post #14

I have actually found Sweden to be more expensive.

My boyfriend got me a ring in Stockholm for like 1300 Krona, same ring in the UK store is 70 pounds. The exact same ring from the exact same store but in different countries.
+
Localer
post 1.Jun.2012, 10:27 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Swinglish 1 @ 1.Jun.2012, 08:52 PM) *
No no exact same seat! Half the price!

half the price order from UK or bought it here ?

www.kiddicare.com seems like a UK website.
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com