• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Selling on blocket.se

Is it a fraud?

ayar
post 4.Jun.2012, 10:50 PM
Post #1

Hello,

in response to my selling ad of laptop on www.blocket.se, firstly, i received sms asking me to contact on a mentioned email. when i contact them through email, they ask me to ship it to some other country like Italy, UK etc and to give them my bank account details, so that they send me the money.

it sounds secure as first i will receive the money but the problem is that one of my friends had such an online fraud that suspects me of all these buyers. some customer sent him the money in his bank account and when he received the shipment, the payment was suddenly cancelled by the sending bank and he was asked by his bank to send the money back to the bank that sent it as the payment has been cancelled.

i just want to seek your guidance and expert opinion over this matter please!

thank you!
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 4.Jun.2012, 11:12 PM
Post #2

Yes there are a lot of scammers trying to empty out your bank account. If you sell within Sweden and even better locally you will have less problems. There is no buyer in Italy who needs to buy a laptop from Sweden.
+
skogsbo
post 5.Jun.2012, 06:28 AM
Post #3

a payment can show on your online balance, but it might not have cleared. Similar to how a hotel or car hire company can put a marker or holder on a given amount via your card, but they don't yet have the money. If you transfer funds for this kind for a sale, you need to speak to your bank and they can tell when the funds have really transfered. Just use paypal, most legitimate sellers don't mind paying the commission in return for the security it offers.
+
John.Smith
post 5.Jun.2012, 10:13 AM
Post #4

Why would an Italian person buy a Swedish laptop? It is fraud mate. Tell them to send you an international bank draft and once it has cleared and the bank confirms it is legit you will ship... otherwise they can bugger off.
+
Kibiri
post 5.Jun.2012, 03:27 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 5.Jun.2012, 07:28 AM) *
a payment can show on your online balance, but it might not have cleared. Similar to how a hotel or car hire company can put a marker or holder on a given amount via your card ... (show full quote)

Doesn't paypal have a worse charge-back policy? Afaik, even after you really receive the money, buyer may request his money back claiming fraud, stolen account or whatever.
Also I don't get your last sentence, OP is the seller here.
+
ayar
post 5.Jun.2012, 06:55 PM
Post #6

Guys thank you all for your practical comments. i really appreciate your responses!
thanks!
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 6.Jun.2012, 04:20 PM
Post #7

Yes, this is most likely a fraud. Tell the buyer that you will not ship the laptop until about two weeks after you have received the money and are certain that the transaction has cleared. My bet is that they are suddenly not interested anymore...
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options