• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

US driver's license > Swedish > US?

Would you need to re-take it every time?

SwedeWithUSGirlfriend
post 16.Jul.2012, 01:46 PM
Post #1

If you have a US driver's license, you need to switch it to a Swedish one after one year, but once you've done that, my question is, what if the person in question would want to switch back to a US one? Would they need to retake the tests for the US one AGAIN? and just for the irony of it, if they get that, and want a Swedish license a second time, would they need to take those tests a second time as well or...?
Go to the top of the page
+
rtharper
post 16.Jul.2012, 02:22 PM
Post #2

You don't need to "switch" i.e. you don't have to turn one in to get another. Keep your US one up to date?
+
jonathansistonen
post 16.Jul.2012, 02:47 PM
Post #3

You do actually need to switch a US license:
http://www.korkortsportalen.se/jag-har-kor...andska-korkort/

As for switching back I would check with the DMV in the US for what the procedure is, but for Sweden and for non EU-licenses, you can not hold a license from a non-EU country if you are registered in Sweden for more than a year.
EU-licenses on the other hand can, since the new regulations, be used indefinitely as long as they are valid in the country they were issued in and the holder has no other EU-license.
+
rtharper
post 16.Jul.2012, 02:51 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (jonathansistonen @ 16.Jul.2012, 02:47 PM) *
You do actually need to switch a US license:. http://www.korkortsportalen.se/jag-har-kor...andska-korkort/

No, you have to *get a Swedish licence*. Where does it say you have to surrender your foreign one to do so? You just can't drive on it...
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 16.Jul.2012, 02:58 PM
Post #5

"Ett körkort från ett land utanför EES får inte bytas ut mot ett svenskt körkort."
+
rtharper
post 16.Jul.2012, 03:17 PM
Post #6

Right, all that says, again, is that you must obtain a Swedish licence. Maybe I should clarify, the point is that OP does not have to surrender his/her US driving licence to do so. S/he must take the Swedish test, but can also keep an up-to-date US driving licence, meaning they don't have to take the US driving test later...
+
mudpuddlestomper
post 16.Jul.2012, 08:07 PM
Post #7

I have just recently gotten my Swedish Drivers License and I did not have to surrender my US drivers license. I am not sure about if you want the US license if you have to retake the tests but I imagine as long as it's not expired you would not have to. I would imagine the same would apply to wanting to get the Swedish license again, as long as it has not expired you should not have to retake the tests!
+
olga118
post 16.Jul.2012, 10:33 PM
Post #8

While the laws vary state to state, you can not reapply (legally) for a new driver's license when yours expires if you are not a resident of the state you are applying in. When you get your license you are required to fill out a form stating that you are a resident and if you lie you are putting yourself in kind of a compromising position.
I know because I did this in May, I signed all the paperwork stating that I was a resident. Then a couple of days later I had to bail a friend out of jail. So when they asked me at the police station if I was a U.S. resident I said yes. Then they told me that my friend had told them that I live in Sweden and I was only going to be in the area for 2 weeks....so I said I had just moved back. The moral of this story is that you should probably not lie on a legal form.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 17.Jul.2012, 12:26 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (mudpuddlestomper @ 16.Jul.2012, 09:07 PM) *
I have just recently gotten my Swedish Drivers License and I did not have to surrender my US drivers license. I am not sure about if you want the US license if you have to ret ... (show full quote)

Generally, it is not the license on file that expires but the issued license, mostly because it is a form of ID and the picture needs to be recent. If you move back to the country you originally had the license in I doubt you would ever need to retake the test since the authorities already have your file; you just need a new photo taken.

In Sweden you can get your license renewed as long as you are not permanent resident in another country in the EU/EES, but outside EU/EES is no problem.
+
Ameriborger
post 17.Jul.2012, 10:11 AM
Post #10

Your valid US license is good for 1 year from when you are given a personal number, not the day you enter. If you are not planning to live in Sweden permanently, but more than one year, you can write a short letter to Transportstyrelsn explaining your situation and get an exemption from them allowing you to drive more than 1 year on your foreign license (the application fee for me at the time was 600 SEK). In my case, I was granted a 2 year extension.
+
Pursuivant
post 19.Jul.2012, 12:23 PM
Post #11

Erm... the logic is that a person can only have _one_ licence at a time. Say you go DUI and they nick your Swedish licence the idea is you won't just fjallerallera with the US one...

OK, so when you switch - if they take it when they give you the Swedish one, that logically means they have it. Or do they look at it, laugh and toss in the trash? Or do they send it back to the issuing authority? They do that with EU licenses I think. If they keep it, whats then preventing to go hand in the Swedish one and take out your old US one which they kept in your file...

Besides which, the physical card got nothing to do with the right to drive per se - you can be in possession of a license - say you go DUI naked, and the license is in your trousers, you are still banned from driving even you put your pants on...

So, when you lose your pants in the USA, how do you get a new driver's license? "I lost it" ? Renewing the US license is indeed a PITA if you don't have an "address" in your old home state.
+
Norrlands Turk
post 19.Jul.2012, 01:44 PM
Post #12

There is no point of surrendering your EU driver licence when you move to the US and vice versa.
Keep them both.
+
rtharper
post 19.Jul.2012, 02:13 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Pursuivant @ 19.Jul.2012, 12:23 PM) *
Erm... the logic is that a person can only have _one_ licence at a time. Say you go DUI and they nick your Swedish licence the idea is you won't just fjallerallera with the US one...

For the last time, you do not "switch" a US licence for a Swedish one. Your US licence becomes invalid IN SWEDEN after 1 year, and you must obtain a Swedish one. By taking the test. You do not *exchange* your licence for a Swedish one. Sure, you can't drive around Sweden on it (after all, it becomes invalid IN SWEDEN), anyway, but the OP's question was about moving between the US and Sweden and having to take tests. The point is that your US licence is not revoked by obtaining a Swedish one, and if it does not expire there is no reason that the OP would have to reapply for one.

No, this is not the same story as for EU licences, where you can *exchange* them.
+
Amber Dawn
post 19.Jul.2012, 02:37 PM
Post #14

I have a Swedish license and a US license. One has nothing to do with the other.
+
rtharper
post 19.Jul.2012, 05:24 PM
Post #15

Zhe's version is better =)
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com