• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Swedish citizenship decision waiting time

How long it takes for migrationsverket

Prebour
post 12.Oct.2012, 03:22 PM
Post #16

I am from Asia, Thailand, sambo with Swedish man, have been in Sweden almost 5 years. I am little worry about waiting time for my Swedish citizenship decision because I must to travel back to my home for born the baby, now I am pregnant for 3.5 months. I hope that I will get the Swedish citizenship before my travel time on 29 Dec, 2012.

Many friends of me got Swedish citizenship average 4.5 week. I don't know how standard that migration use to make decision. From now I only hope I will good luck like another.
Go to the top of the page
+
Craptastical
post 15.Oct.2012, 07:50 AM
Post #17

QUOTE (gplusa @ 8.Aug.2012, 08:46 AM) *
Craptastic: a little over a year ago now.You can ask to have your passport returned to you immediately after you submit your citizenship application. You phone them up, tell t ... (show full quote)

Thanks for the info! I filled out the online form last week and sent my signed paperwork + passport + residence card + personbevis to them today. Hopefully I'm not penalized for a couple of days delay...

Which raises another question... Why are we required to order "personbevis för ansökan om svenskt medborgarskap" online and have it sent to us via post now? It used to be available to be printed out online just like all the other kinds. Anyone know?

Anyway, thanks again and I'll update my status on this thread once I get the decision (which should be "Congratulations! You may now change your name to Sven Svenne Svensvennesson")
+
Prebour
post 16.Oct.2012, 08:54 PM
Post #18

Hello!

I have got post from migration today. So I have Swedish Citizenship now. It take about 6 weeks for me. I hope many people who have applied Swedish Citizen will get the result soon.

Ra
+
Craptastical
post 17.Oct.2012, 02:34 PM
Post #19

Congratulations!
+
Prebour
post 17.Oct.2012, 02:37 PM
Post #20

Thank you so much, and I hope that you will get it soon...sure!
+
Oskarsson
post 20.Oct.2012, 01:59 PM
Post #21

Hi everyone,
I have some confusions regarding how to count the hemvisttid. In the Migrationverket website, it says that hemvisttid is counted from the time one has uppehållstillstånd för bosättning. I'm not sure what type of residence permit allows me to have that uppehållstillstånd för bosättning.
Anyone applying for Swedish citizenship after being on work permit for 4 years and permanent residence for 1 year has become a Swedish citizen?
The other day I called the case officer granting me my permanent residence and asked him when I could apply for Swedish citizen (since I might have to go home for a long period of time in California, my father is very sick sad.gif so I just have to go home). He looked into my case and told me that I could apply in Feb 2013 which marks my 5th year of working here in Sweden. Then I asked him if it meant that the time I was on work permit (arbetstillstånd) for 4 years was counted as part of my hemvisttid and he said it was. I was looking at the migrationsverket website at the same time talking to him and I told him that according to the info on the website, those years I was on work permit did not count as hemvisttid and it meant that I need to wait till 2017 February when my permanent resident card expires in order to apply for Swedish citizenship. He told me that I could still try to apply for it in 2013 and I should call the citizenship office in Norrköping for detail information regarding hemvisttid.
A few days later I talked to a friend of mine who comes from Germany and now becomes a Swedish citizen. He told me that after 5 years of working in Sweden and he got the permanent residence in Sweden on the 5th year, he applied for Swedish citizenship straight ahead and he got it. It means that his 5 years of working here is counted as hemvisstid as well, otherwise he should have to wait for another 5 years since the day he got his permanent residence to be eligible to apply for Swedish citizenship.
Does it mean that it varies from case to case or country to country? Or the case officer I talked to did not know what he was talking about?
Could anyone help me on this?
Regards,
Oskar
+
Prebour
post 20.Oct.2012, 07:23 PM
Post #22

For working visa become Swedish Citizenship, it take time to live in Sweden with that visa for 5 years. If you have been abroad for longer periods (i.e. if you have been abrod more than 40 days per year, it must count the time that over 40 days, ex. If you have been in USA 70 days per year, you can apply Swedish Citizenship when you stay in Sweden with working visa 5 year+30 days )
+
jackityjack
post 20.Oct.2012, 08:20 PM
Post #23

I applied in July (yeah - summertime I know...) still waiting...

Irish guy here.
+
Oskarsson
post 20.Oct.2012, 10:00 PM
Post #24

Hi Prebour,
This is my 5th year of working here in Sweden and I got the permanent residence this year. What I understand from the case officer who decided that I got the permanent residence is I could apply for Swedish citizen by February 2013. And then the information I obtained from the migrationsverket website is I have to wait for another 5 years till 2017. The hemsvisttid is counted from the time I got the permanent residence in 2012. So I do not understand.
@jackityjac... did you apply for your swedish citizenship after working here for 4 years and being granted permanent residence for 1 year (4 years of work permit ´+ 1 year of permanent residence) or you have waited for 5 years after being granted permanent residence?
Regards,
Oskars
+
gplusa
post 20.Oct.2012, 11:03 PM
Post #25

You are misreading the requirements. You need to fulfill the time requirements, which can vary depending on the applicant. You also need to have received Permanent Residency when you apply. These are 2 completely different requirements. The 5 years, or whatever, starts from the date you arrived in Sweden and had been granted permission to live in Sweden. It is not 5 years from the date of your PUT. The PUT can be granted the day before you apply for citizenship.
+
ahm
post 20.Oct.2012, 11:28 PM
Post #26

Hi guys,

I have a question here ,,

Is there is any rule here any SWEDEN similar to USA

For the point of that if u r citizen or granted ur permanent resident card

you can give permanent resident card to ur parents( who are non citizens of ur country)?

And if the answer if no ,whats the reason ?

Why noT like USA?

Disadvantage it will be if this rule is not applicable
+
gplusa
post 20.Oct.2012, 11:54 PM
Post #27

Why should your parents have the automatic right to live here just because you, as an adult, do ? That would be one screwed up system.
+
ahm
post 21.Oct.2012, 12:31 AM
Post #28

Gplusa

Please dont tell me screwed or like this statements,,words , i dont like to hear it

Im not talking about my Parents , im Talking in general as a law ,

Dont personalize my Questions , its the bad way to treat people .

If u want to answer , answer with the logical law ,

In USA , it happen .

So ,talk in geaneral,..

You are not the creator for laws

And we are discussing not personalizing the things

Many things here not fabricated to ur mode or mine ,

And politicians changing , while u cant do inspite u elected them
+
chazza
post 21.Oct.2012, 05:07 AM
Post #29

u r in geaneral no inspite of language personalizing sense not making is SWEDEN u r not ?
+
dcdidit77
post 21.Oct.2012, 08:13 AM
Post #30

Would you all just answer the guy/girl's bloody question and stop criticizing!!! Some people may not have English as a native tongue you know....be proactive or just shut it!!
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se