• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

Parental leave benefit, payment level CHANGED!

Your previous salary in the EU will be used

Somebody
post 18.Nov.2012, 12:23 PM
Post #16

thanks ahm
I base my thinking on a fact that there 480 days available for two parents and each needs to take min 60 days.

I understand what you mean, but to get the most of it is this possible that I would take only minimum 2 months with 80% of my salary and my girlfriend would take the remaining 14 months with minimum rate of 180 crowns per day as she never worked here?
We would not survive on 80%of my salary only so I would take only minimum 60 days (2 months)
and the rest would be my full salary plus her min 180 crowns per day (before tax)

I base my thinking on the fact that there 480 days available for two parents and each needs to take min 60 days.
Go to the top of the page
+
sometimesinsweden
post 18.Nov.2012, 01:12 PM
Post #17

480 days total paid holiday for a couple with child!

Christ, no wonder Swedes seem to spend their days drinking lattes in cafes.

That seems ridiculously generous to me, at the expense of the economy and career development of the parents. I can't see how this policy is physically sustainable long term. My parents got f-all when myself and sister were born, father was back at work the next day and mother gave up her job as a nurse to bring us up til we were 4. There was no expectation that the state had to fund our existence.

But I guess couples aren't prepared to give up their iPhones, cable tv etc so will vote for the party that pushes forward this policy, whilst mugs like me have to pay for it. I got 1 week off when my son was born and took 2 weeks each off unpaid due to being self-employed, when the other 2 were born. Neither me nor the mothers of my children expect others to fund them directly like this.

I don't understand the reason 'time essential to bond with my children' - I finish work at 6 and come home and spend 2 hours eating, doing homework and playing with my sons and daughter, then get up at 6am to prepare them for school. At weekends work a half day on paperwork, then have the rest of time to be together as a family. Some people expect the state to do everything for them.
+
ahm
post 18.Nov.2012, 01:17 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Somebody @ 18.Nov.2012, 11:23 AM) *
thanks ahmI base my thinking on a fact that there 480 days available for two parents and each needs to take min 60 days.I understand what you mean, but to get the most of it i ... (show full quote)

Yes , 480 days for both ,i dont know if you must take 2 months (obligatory), you get extra bonus of 50 kr at the day 61 as equality bonus per day ,but as i said its individual ,you will receive the 1st 390 days 80% and day 391 to 480 will return to normal 180 kr per day before tax , and can check with skatteverket , about your status , So , its 80% for you up to 390 days and 180 kr per day before tax for your sambo all the days and in case of combiation of leave for both parents will be deducted (no.of leave days multiply by 2 from total of 480 days
+
Somebody
post 18.Nov.2012, 01:32 PM
Post #19

Yes min 60 days for each parent is actually obligatory here by law. I know that for sure.
As I said we would have to use my 80% paid days only for 60 days.
and the rest would be taken by my sambo.
Otherwise it would be hard to make a living of 80% of my salary only
with a new born child.

I am not sure if I am 100% correct above, so I do appreciate some comments from people
who have already come through this system.
I guess there is a lot of couples like us with one person working only in Sweden.
+
Yorkshireman
post 18.Nov.2012, 11:52 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Somebody @ 18.Nov.2012, 01:32 PM) *
Yes min 60 days for each parent is actually obligatory here by law. I know that for sure.

No one forces you to take parent leave. What it means is that you cannot transfer across to the other parent 60 days. If you choose not to take them anyway, they are lost.

QUOTE (Somebody @ 18.Nov.2012, 01:32 PM) *
Otherwise it would be hard to make a living of 80% of my salary only. with a new born child.

It is not 80% of salary. It is 80% of your SGI (sjukgrundinkomst) which is 97% of your current annual salary. And depending upon how much you earn is capped at 10 x price base amount = 440.000:- /year, so do the math yourself wink.gif 0.97 x Your-annual-salary x 80% = max. If your income is greater than 440.000 :- /year, everything over 440 is excluded from the calculation.

Remember also that the daily amount is daily and it includes weekends. You need to calculate your budget with or without the daily amount for Saturday and Sunday, and when claiming the days, remember to include or exclude Saturday or Sunday (and Public Holidays). It is too easy to forget about this, and find the days sucked away ... or if you excluded them, find that the money doesn't add up to what you thought.

Make sure that You have updated the salary figure that Försäkringskassan have on record, they do not go by tax office info, since the SGI is based upon current salary ... this is also why it is important to report unemployed immediately ... SGI stops being valid (reset) if you lose your job, and not notified AF.

You do not have to take the parent leave immediately ... you can save (maybe your 60 days?) ...and I would advise in not taking all at once, remember there is a period when the child may start dagis or school, it could be good to save a few weeks for that time.

If You are a member of a Union, and are paid more than the maximum covered by parent leave, check if they have a collective agreement with the employer and if that contains a special top-up to 80% of your real salary ... many do, but often have a certain number of years service required etc...
+
skogsbo
post 19.Nov.2012, 08:17 AM
Post #21

QUOTE (sometimesinsweden @ 18.Nov.2012, 01:12 PM) *
That seems ridiculously generous to me, at the expense of the economy and career development of the parents. I don't understand the reason 'time essential to bond with ... (show full quote)

Given that the UK has just refused to expand on the current 10 working days, you must be thrilled!! I personally think it is appalling, especially as childcare and work is often a very equal affair. No wonder most UK parents couldn't survive without the help of friends and relatives, taking away their free time.

Given that most UK salaried workers probably do 5-10hours free over time a week, many much more, I think it's the least that companies could do. Most career minded workers are unlikely to have more than 2-3 kids, so in a potential working life of 16-65(min), 49years, a few months paternity isn't that relevant.

For me, you work to live, not live to work, I prefer having more than the bare minimum time with my kids, otherwise why have them, if you just want to work, work, work? It's not fair on the kids?

QUOTE (Yorkshireman @ 18.Nov.2012, 11:52 PM) *
You do not have to take the parent leave immediately ... you can save (maybe your 60 days?) ...and I would advise in not taking all at once, remember there is a period when th ... (show full quote)

Yes, many Dagis etc will have a compulsory 2 week schooling in session, where you shadow the kids for the first few days and are on standby nearby for a few more, this could be repeated more than once and will eat into your days.
+
Somebody
post 19.Nov.2012, 10:22 AM
Post #22

QUOTE (Yorkshireman @ 18.Nov.2012, 10:52 PM) *
No one forces you to take parent leave. What it means is that you cannot transfer across to the other parent 60 days. If you choose not to take them anyway, they are lost.It i ... (show full quote)

Thanks for that Yorshireman.

I know that there are 480 days available
in total for both parents per child and that includes weekends so it is 480/30=16 months.

but assuming that I will take this 2 months of parental leave myself will
my sambo be entitled to remaining 14 months with a minimu rate 180 crowns per day?
Worth to mention again she has never worked.
+
Yorkshireman
post 19.Nov.2012, 11:31 AM
Post #23

QUOTE (Somebody @ 19.Nov.2012, 10:22 AM) *
I know that there are 480 days available. in total for both parents per child and that includes weekends so it is 480/30=16 months.

Yes, and that can be split and taken whenever until the child is 8 yrs-old. Though there is a proposal being discussed that will change that to make the majority (if not all) days that must be taken before the child is 4 yrs-old.

QUOTE (Somebody @ 19.Nov.2012, 10:22 AM) *
but assuming that I will take this 2 months of parental leave myself will. my sambo be entitled to remaining 14 months with a minimu rate 180 crowns per day?. Worth to mention again she has never worked.

Yes, your sambo will be entitled to the lowest level for the days that you sign across.
Remember, You can only be together at home with the child claiming parent leave monies for a certain number of days, otherwise it can only be 1 parent at a time.
You can even split the parent days into half days, or take a few days here-and there. When the child is sick, you can change over to sick-child benefit rather than take out parent days ... and for days that your sambo is not caring for the child eg. when You are, there is possibility to register as unemployed seeking work, so should be entitled to some activity-benefit at the lowest level also... Can take a bit of paperwork and co-ordination to make the benefits click into place so there are no days left unpaid (except weekends) biggrin.gif

Another thing You might want to consider, that by law you have the right to reduce your working hours by up to 25% whilst the child is under 8, so if you want to say work 4 days a week, you can reduce your working hours by 20% (assuming a Mon->Fri working week) ... on the day you are not working, you can choose to take parent leave monies, or not.
+
Somebody
post 19.Nov.2012, 11:42 AM
Post #24

I see you are fully familiar with the subject smile.gif

I guess in real it is 480 x 5/7 = 343 working days if it based on 5 working days in a week.
And that needs to clarified if e.g. 1 or 2 days only of parental leave per week are claimed.
Otherwise it is hard to calculate an actual balance of days.

Again, thank you for your help Yorkshireman
+
skogsbo
post 19.Nov.2012, 12:10 PM
Post #25

my sambo, works a compressed week Mon-Thurs, so there is little drop in income from a 5 day week, then she uses a paternity/maternity day to take a Friday off. Every weekend is a long weekend, with practically no reduced income. By rationing the days, you can run like this for a few years. Also by having a week day off with the kids (3,5yrs) you can go places when they are quieter like the pool, indoor kids play places etc. and really enjoy them, without it being more like warfare!
+
Puffin
post 19.Nov.2012, 01:10 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (Somebody @ 19.Nov.2012, 11:42 AM) *
I guess in real it is 480 x 5/7 = 343 working days if it based on 5 working days in a week.And that needs to clarified if e.g. 1 or 2 days only of parental leave per week are ... (show full quote)

The guarantee level of 180kr/day can be taken out up to 7 days per week - making a total of approx 5400kr/month - however you can if you choose take out fewer days per week so that your days do further

I knew someone who took out 4 days/week to stay home over 2 years
+
Puffin
post 19.Nov.2012, 01:12 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (Yorkshireman @ 19.Nov.2012, 11:31 AM) *
Yes, and that can be split and taken whenever until the child is 8 yrs-old. Though there is a proposal being discussed that will change that to make the majority (if not all) ... (show full quote)

Yes may parents save up some days to take off or work part time for the start of school

yes there is a proposal to limit the number of days after the age of 4 as it is long been felt inequitable that newly arrived families with a 5 or 6 year old get the whole 16 months off when Swedes are more of less forced to use their days in the first year as there is not childare for children under 1
+
skogsbo
post 19.Nov.2012, 01:41 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (Puffin @ 19.Nov.2012, 01:12 PM) *
yes there is a proposal to limit the number of days after the age of 4

it would seem logical to assign a fixed amount say 50% for the 1st year, then the remainder share between the next 6-7years. Like you say in theory you could arrive with a 5 and 6 yr old and not need to work for over a year, but it would be quite complex to design the perfect system.
+
Somebody
post 19.Nov.2012, 01:42 PM
Post #29

Thank you guys smile.gif
+
ahm
post 19.Nov.2012, 01:46 PM
Post #30

QUOTE (Puffin @ 19.Nov.2012, 12:10 PM) *
The guarantee level of 180kr/day can be taken out up to 7 days per week - making a total of approx 5400kr/month - however you can if you choose take out fewer days per week so ... (show full quote)

Taxes will never let you get that amount .180 kr per day its the amount that you will take it if you lived in place similar to northern pole with no services according to skatteverket biggrin.gif ,
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN