• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4   Reply to this topic

Parental leave benefit, payment level CHANGED!

Your previous salary in the EU will be used

Taxalien
post 24.Nov.2012, 03:36 PM
Post #46

I don't see any point in taking hypothetical arguments regarding a way to remove a benefit system that there is no historical precedence for in Sweden. All employers I know of will gladly tell you that they don't care about this money. If a lawmaker came and said, we are deleting this system and employers have to pay it as salary instead I am pretty sure the Swedes would do it.

There is however, another way to settle the discussion.

Calculate the value of the insurance policy for the average Swede, having the:

• average number of babies at the average age of having them
  • median income
  • 10 year government bonds as an alternative investment

I've done that excercise.

The result is that a couple (father 32, mother 29) would have:

• two children in 1999 and 2002.
  • Based on the average distribution of föräldrapenning claims, their claims would run from 1999-2004 (which is a bit unrealistic, but that is what the statistics say)

Assumptions:

Start paying for the policy from age 24, 21 until retirement at 64.

From 2010, the median income distribution is used taking into account the difference in median income at the start point for their age group.

The insurance premiums paid (that would otherwise be assumed to be paid to the employee, since it doesn't matter to the employer who he has to part money to) would be: 186521 kr

The value claimed would be: 336530 kr

The alternative investment, assuming money kept until both retired is: 1031447 kr

Some comments about this result:

Parents take out the föräldraförsäkring when they are young, and consequently earn less, but they pay for the insurance both before and after they can claim for it.

A more fairer system:

Parents would claim and subsequently through the tax system be obliged to pay it back. For someone incapacitated it would not mean anything and the whole country would pick up the bill for it. The benefit level would be based on a reasonable median income basis and would not have to take any account of how much the family or parents were earning, thus leading to "Equal rights to equal protection and income support when having children."
Go to the top of the page
+
Yorkshireman
post 25.Nov.2012, 10:31 PM
Post #47

QUOTE (Taxalien @ 24.Nov.2012, 03:36 PM) *
All employers I know of will gladly tell you that they don't care about this money. If a lawmaker came and said, we are deleting this system and employers have to pay it a ... (show full quote)

You have absolutely no basis for this assumption. The Swedish Government play no part in salary setting, in fact they avoid it, hence no legal minimum wage in Sweden. It is left for employers, and where active, trade unions.

There is however contrary evidence that the wishes of a Government with regard tax changes that are not followed, the glaring example recently was reduction of VAT on food in restaurants where the wish was that it result in creation of thousands of jobs, yet resulted in very few and even less in terms of price reductions.
+
Taxalien
post 25.Nov.2012, 11:57 PM
Post #48

It is a huge difference between a VAT change and a change in "NI".

But it is a hypothetical argument. Personally I would rather see the whole benefit system scrapped and replaced with a benefit system that covers everyone regardless of their previous salary history as well as something that takes into account how much you lean on or abuse the system.

Today that is sorely lacking not just here but everywhere.
+
skogsbo
post 26.Nov.2012, 08:08 AM
Post #49

QUOTE (Taxalien @ 25.Nov.2012, 11:57 PM) *
But it is a hypothetical argument. Personally I would rather see the whole benefit system scrapped and replaced with a benefit system that covers everyone regardless of their ... (show full quote)

any system would be flawed; unless the system was so complex it required many extra staff in every office to implement it, then there will always be extreme examples are either end of those who potential lose out and those who gain more.
+
Somebody
post 11.May.2013, 08:28 PM
Post #50

I have a few more questions

Ir there any maximum gap from the day of quiting a job
And a date of birth to be eligible for income based parental leave?

Can start claiming it while a mother is still pregnant?
Say 30 weeks in or so?
+
Somebody
post 11.May.2013, 08:30 PM
Post #51

Doubled post
+
Yorkshireman
post 11.May.2013, 09:09 PM
Post #52

QUOTE (Somebody @ 11.May.2013, 08:28 PM) *
Ir there any maximum gap from the day of quiting a job. And a date of birth to be eligible for income based parental leave?. Can start claiming it while a mother is still pregnant?. Say 30 weeks in or so?

Föräldrapenning can only be taken from maximum 60 days before the calculated birth. If you had to stop working before that due to the pregnancy then make sure you get a doctors note to say you are off sick instead, and then you will get sick pay.

The income based amount is based upon the same income that is used for sick-pay calculations (SGI), normally once you quit your job SGI is reset, however, for parents this is not the case, theoretically! they will allow a 6 month gap between quitting job and birth, if you leave your job within the 6 months prior to birth, they will count the income you had ... otherwise they will look to the lower level.
+
Somebody
post 12.May.2013, 02:18 PM
Post #53

Thanks a lot Yorkshireman,

My GF is working part time (20-25hrs a week)
and making after tax 8-9k.
Does the rule of 80% still apply here or she should be employed full time (40hrs a week)?
+
Somebody
post 15.May.2013, 11:04 AM
Post #54

QUOTE (Somebody @ 12.May.2013, 02:18 PM) *
Thanks a lot Yorkshireman,. My GF is working part time (20-25hrs a week). and making after tax 8-9k.. [b]Does the rule of 80% still apply here or she should be employed full time (40hrs a week)?[/b]

Does anybody know the answer to that?
I would really appreciate it.
+
Sipe
post 3.Jun.2013, 07:44 AM
Post #55

So based on the case from last year, has anyone actually received their maternity leave based on their EU salary?

Tack!
+
Sipe
post 12.Sep.2013, 10:57 AM
Post #56

Hi everyone

Just wanted to post an update to say that if you have worked in an EU country immediately before having your baby/or moving to Sweden while on maternity leave, your maternity benefit will be based on your EU salary. This means you are likely to get more than the minimum.

However it's takes forever to get it processed as you have to show proof of amount and lenght of maternity benefit in home country (if any taken), proof of what level of parental benefit the dad got from the EU country, statement of salary from EU employer, proof you are no longer in receipt of social maternity benefit in the original country.

The is great news for me as I didn't think I was entitled to anything when I moved.

Be careful of the FSK people, some will tell you you'll only get the minimum so call back and talk to someone else. There are some great people who will move things along for you, others will just want to get you off the phone...
+
Ivor stephé
post 12.Sep.2013, 12:10 PM
Post #57

QUOTE (Sipe @ 12.Sep.2013, 09:57 AM) *
Be careful of the FSK people, some will tell you you'll only get the minimum so call back and talk to someone else. There are some great people who will move things along ... (show full quote)

Thats a great social care system for you.
+
Yekta
post 16.Sep.2013, 11:30 PM
Post #58

Dear Friends,

I am pretty new to Swedish system. I have some questions regarding maternity leave and I would appreciate if you can help me.

I have been working in Sweden for 5 months now and the due month for delivering the baby is March. By then, I have been working in Sweden for almost a year. However, my contract also finishes at the same time, meaning that I will be unemployed two weeks after delivering the baby/or maybe when I deliver the baby as still I am not exactly sure when the due date is. I am wondering if I will be entitled for maternity leave and benefits.

For how long one should work in Sweden to entitled to benefits?

Moreover, I am wondering if there is any association that I can get help from if any question came up.

Thanks in advance,
+
Arkenbout
post 25.Aug.2014, 12:30 PM
Post #59

I know this is an old subject, but I applied for the parental leave starting the moment I came to Sweden with my wife. I have a work history of several years in a EU country, but the Forsakringskassan says it won't take my EU income into account. Aren't they obliged to? If so, how can this be done?
+

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se